Pre-D eating before bed snack options

Carole12

Hi!
This is my first time on the forum. My doc has told me to begin cutting out carbs and sugar. Sugar is no problem for me, but carbs!!! I love my jacket potatoes and Wholemeal bread. My test for insulin resistance was minimal he said and I had just a .2 elevation on my blood test for that H1.....? I am borderline for prediabetic if I don’t change my eating. I do have a blood glucose machine and took it first thing this morning which showed 6.6 ....this seemed high! (My other Acu check machine doesn’t seem to give high readings like this) .....any ways I had porridge with a little cream. One hour later it was 8.6 two hours later it was 6.9. I am going to make my own almond flour bread to try and keep my readings lower than this. My problem is eating just before bed ....surely I can have a cracker of sorts with cheese ? I am not overweight at all and have always had sugar showing in my urine for over 50 years if I happen to have sweet things.

Reactions: zauberflote

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Carole12

The whole cracker and cheese thing is something my husband struggles with. He thinks that cheese needs bread or toast or a cracker for full enjoyment. Me? I am hardcore, and I enjoy cheese by itself ;)

There are a few lower carb breads out there, and if you look at the nutritional info on the back of any bread or cracker packet, they usually give you the number of grammes of carbs in each cracker. So you can then work out which ones have fewer carbs, and decide whether you allow yourself those carbs in your daily intake.

From memory, Nairns oatcakes tend to be about 5g carbs each (don't quote me!) so as a pre diabetic you may well be able to include one or two of those. But I do suggest that you give cheese a go by itself. So much more flavour and intensity. Nowadays I view crackers as diluting the experience, rather than enhancing it. :D

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I live in NZ and they have awesome oat crackers which have just 2g of carb each (OK they're small but they are delicious). Unfortunately they don't seem to export them overseas at all :(. But I agree, go naked cheese. Do you like olives? (I hate them but if you're one of their many admirers it could be the way to go.

Carole12

I live in NZ and they have awesome oat crackers which have just 2g of carb each (OK they're small but they are delicious). Unfortunately they don't seem to export them overseas at all :(. But I agree, go naked cheese. Do you like olives? (I hate them but if you're one of their many admirers it could be the way to go.
Ahhh Thankyou both! I baked a delish almond flour bread today and it was very filling......expensive but never mind that. I took a reading an hour later and it was 5.6 so that one is a keeper. I had home made curry and brown rice tonight .....reading an hour later was 7.1. Not bad? Didn’t enjoy it though.....my taste buds are changing. I want to test out Hovis Wholemeal which I love.....

I love olives so Thankyou for that suggestion with cheese late evening (with my new keeper bread).

Last night’s reading of 10.90 was two slices of supposed low carb bread (very stodgy) fried with cheese!! No more of that bread. Even porridge might be out for me at 8.6. Will go for almond flour pancakes and fruit for brekkie.

Reactions: DJC3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Be very careful with fruit. It contains a lot of fructose, which is not digested in the stomach. It goes straight to the liver. The liver regards it as toxic rather like it does with alcohol. It then gets stored in and around the liver as fat. This in turn will eventually lead to insulin resistance, or make any existing insulin resistance worse. It is something we T2s prefer to avoid as much as possible. The best fruits are berries, eaten as part of a meal with cream or a full fat yogurt. Then of course avocados and tomatoes are also fruits and these are generally speaking good choices.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I'm pre too and I got so brassed off trying to find alternatives I just stopped.

I went for the full change. Am now in keto and don't find the need for snacking past habit.

Pork scratchings are my goto. Or a strong mature cheddar cubed.

Your taste will change. Mine did and personally it made me realise just how bland carbs are.

Think about it. Bread is eaten with fillings. Chips covered in sauce, potatoes with mint or gravy.

It's just filler. Once that penny dropped for me I started to eat smarter and honestly much better.

That's my reccomendation.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe try to wean yourself off snacking completely. It isn't necessary, it is more of a comfort thing. Eating low carb with full fat products should mean you are never hungry enough to snack. If you need something for comfort, try a coffee with double cream.

Carole12

Thank you .........it’s good to know I can go for cream and full cream yoghurt (I had read on the internet everything had to be low fat or fat free which I loathe) ....even low fat cheese. Wow......I will continue with full fat products as you mentioned above.
Would this include butter (either cooking with it or having a little on bread)? I love Pork Scratjings!!! In moderation of course but lovely as a little taster. Good to know I could continue with this. I will have a look at the keto.......it seems to work for you so maybe for me too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you .........it’s good to know I can go for cream and full cream yoghurt (I had read on the internet everything had to be low fat or fat free which I loathe) ....even low fat cheese. Wow......I will continue with full fat products as you mentioned above.
Would this include butter (either cooking with it or having a little on bread)? I love Pork Scratjings!!! In moderation of course but lovely as a little taster. Good to know I could continue with this. I will have a look at the keto.......it seems to work for you so maybe for me too.

Butter is an excellent choice. Use it in cooking, frying, dolloping on your vegetables instead of gravy or carby sauces, or on your low carb bread. Ditch any low fat/fat free stuff in your cupboards and stick to the real thing. As we lower our carbs we have to replace the lost energy from somewhere else - there are only 2 places, fats and proteins. Carbs raise blood sugar levels. Protein can in certain circumstances but not by a lot. Fats never will.

Carole12

Butter is an excellent choice. Use it in cooking, frying, dolloping on your vegetables instead of gravy or carby sauces, or on your low carb bread. Ditch any low fat/fat free stuff in your cupboards and stick to the real thing. As we lower our carbs we have to replace the lost energy from somewhere else - there are only 2 places, fats and proteins. Carbs raise blood sugar levels. Protein can in certain circumstances but not by a lot. Fats never will.
Thankyou!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
As far as we care, pork scratchings, aside from needing decent teeth.

Go nuts. Lol.

Seriously, pork scratchings are high in fat and salt both of which you need on lchf. The salt is a bit high I suppose but otherwise eat your fill. A BAG. Yes a decent sized 150g bag is less than a gram of carbs. Around 300 calories which compared to a Mars bar is great too.

Edit. Typo.

Last edited:

Carole12

As far as we care, pork scratchings, aside from needing decent teeth.

Go nuts. Lol.

Seriously, pork scratchings are high in fat and salt both of which you need on lchf. The salt is a bit high I suppose but otherwise eat your fill. A BAG. Yes a decent sized 150g bag is less than a gram of carbs. Around 300 calories which compared to a Mars bar is great too.

Edit. Typo.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Carole12 I like a few walnuts with cheese and if its the difference in texture you like with cheese and crackers this might hit the spot.
I try not to snack late in the evening though as I find my fasting blood sugars are higher in the morning if I do, even if it’s a low carb snack.

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try being Lactose intolerant and trying to eat low carb, its interesting

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Carole12 I have to have something before bed, due to a med I take that needs protection in my stomach. I stick with plain skyr, that Icelandinc strained yogurt. It is like eating sour cream, yummy! Sometimes it raises my BG, sometimes not. I haven't got all this sorted out yet as to what does what when. There are always too many variables, including the phase of the moon!!! :hilarious:

@Spl@ (did you design your name so it would garner many tags??LOL) Our a1c was exactly the same only I was a couple of months before you and have been given until February (was to be this week) to continue to bring those numbers down. I appreciated that, as the holiday feasting sometimes can be overwhelmingly demanding. I don't think I can do keto, however. Brave biker you!
@FIGARO5 I agree with you on the difficulty of doing low carb when you have another competing condition. My complaint is, try doing low carb when you haven't eaten meat in over 40 years, and don't care to start! I do eat chicken if I absolutely have to, and turkey at Thanksgiving, and/but I feel better if I don't eat too much cheese, so what's a gal to do, right?

Ponchu

I couldn’t sleep without night time snack.

After one month into adding natural fats to my dinners, my 50 year habit disappeared.

I’d like to say it was my will power but that’d be a lie.

It’s the high natural fat in my meals.