Is a Keto diet harmful??

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Show me some scientific research data that shows that type 1 diabetics can survive on zero carbs (not Bersteins 30g maximum) and Ill happily agree that no diabetic needs any carbs.
In the meantime Ive got other things to be getting on with

Forty plus years on 30g carb/day is about as long term and close to keto as we are going to get.. :D

M

Member496333

One thing I know for certain, is that I have never come across a more polarising topic than diet and nutrition :D

Ultimately I believe it’s foolish to think that we evolved to operate via a metabolic state designed to kill us, but that’s just my view. Until it kills me, I’ll keep eating keto. Everyone else is free to do as they please :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The science of epigenetics looks at how environmental factors create genetic adaptations and differences between different populations, it also shows why it is nonsense to cite what one population can survive on as evidence that another population will fare the same. Heres a coule re mutations among the innuit
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2015/sep/how-inuit-adapted-ice-age-living-and-high-fat-diet

I agree but the question I think you asked was does anyone live (thrive?) on lower carbs/no carbs (?)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going back to my earlier point about lesser weavils(I’ve now made a cuppa and had a think).

What ‘keto way of eating’ are we talking about?

Inuit?
Modern Paleo?
Processed Junk keto? (yes, its possible)
Clean keto?
Vegan keto? (don’t actually know if that is possible)
Vegetarian keto? (ditto, but more likely)
Paleomedicina’s dietary protocols?
Some extrapolated speculation on Neanderthal eating by a modern psychologist?
High veg fat, low sat fat keto?
Carnivore keto?

You can’t tell me they are all equally ‘healthy’.

Basically there is no way anybody can make universal statements about ‘keto’ without running a very large, expensive, detailed, longterm study with a control group and several different keto sub-groups.
Til then, we are just speculating.

But even if some brilliant, well funded team actually ran this study, their work will just get mocked and criticised by groups with other agendas. An often used technique is to pick apart the methodology, then make accusations of vested interests and bias. After that, the totality of the study findings can get dismissed in a single sentence. This is happening on the forum today, on another thread, about a different way of eating.

M

Member496333

Going back to my earlier point about lesser weavils(I’ve now made a cuppa and had a think).

Inuit?
Modern Paleo?
Clean keto?
Carnivore keto?

Basically there is no way anybody can make universal statements about ‘keto’ without running a very large, expensive, detailed, longterm study with a control group and several different keto sub-groups.

But even if some brilliant, well funded team actually ran this study, their work will just get mocked and criticised by groups with other agendas. An often used technique is to pick apart the methodology, then make accusations of vested interests and bias. After that, the totality of the study findings can get dismissed in a single sentence. This is happening on the forum today, on another thread, about a different way of eating.

From your list, I would classify myself as clean keto. I only eat stuff that nature provides me with. Real food, not fake food. I use only 100% whole natural ingredients and prepare all my own meals. All organic and/or grass fed/finished whenever possible. Absolutely nothing processed besides cheese and cream. Not even sausages. Cured meats I do eat.

I use all natural fats for cooking, and never ever knowingly consume anything that contains seed oils or hydrogenated fats. I even make my own mayonnaise. Staples are meat, fish, eggs, mushrooms, overground vegetables. Some variances but basically - if I wouldn’t be able to find it or catch it in nature, I don’t eat it. Absolutely no grains or starchy vegetables. No fruit. No fruit juice. No alcohol.

I guess I’m kind of paleo/keto hybrid. It suits me perfectly. I’ve never been happier with food or my life in general. I feel alert, smart, happy. Never hungry. Additionally I’ve got my HbA1c down to 31mmol/mol and take no diabetes medications. For me personally, it is absolutely the best way to live. I’m the fully optimised version of me. I suspect I’m very far from alone in my experience :D

Reactions: AloeSvea

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From your list, I would classify myself as clean keto. I only eat stuff that nature provides me with. Real food, not fake food. I use only 100% whole natural ingredients and prepare all my own meals. All organic and/or grass fed/finished whenever possible. Absolutely nothing processed besides cheese and cream. Not even sausages. Cured meats I do eat.

I use all natural fats for cooking, and never ever knowingly consume anything that contains seed oils or hydrogenated fats. I even make my own mayonnaise. Staples are meat, fish, eggs, mushrooms, overground vegetables. Some variances but basically - if I wouldn’t be able to find it or catch it in nature, I don’t eat it. Absolutely no grains or starchy vegetables. No fruit. No fruit juice. No alcohol.

I guess I’m kind of paleo/keto hybrid. It suits me perfectly. I’ve never been happier with food or my life in general. I feel alert, smart, happy. Never hungry. Additionally I’ve got my HbA1c down to 31mmol/mol and take no diabetes medications. For me personally, it is absolutely the best way to live. I’m the fully optimised version of me. I suspect I’m very far from alone in my experience :D
How long have you maintained this lifestyle?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Inuit?
Modern Paleo?
Clean keto?
Carnivore keto?

Never wanted to try vegan keto or vegetarian keto (very low carb keto doesnt suit my body going under 20g carbs a day consistently raises my sugars wheres 30-50g works nicely ) but there are obviously those that do
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vegetarian+keto+book&rh=i:aps,k:vegetarian+keto+book&ajr=0
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...t=&hvlocphy=9044951&hvtargid=kwd-469213473044

M

Member496333

Actually my glucose monitoring app is currently projecting my A1c as 4.8% or around 30mmol/mol

Keto for life. If I live long enough :playful:

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My last HbA1c was 29, but have to confess, not that ‘clean’ - drink red wine, gin with fresh lemon juice and fizzy water for a treat and even the occasional brandy! Oh dear, there’s no hope! But I am brilliantly well at the moment! But keto food always!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Either through 1) being on insulin and constant hypos 2) by the action of gluconeogenesis and the body not having insulin to mop up the excess leading to high sugars with the assosciated DKA risk
1) You reduce your background insulin to stop this happening, I cut mine in half after a few days of cutting carbs to 20-30g daily (found in green veg and nuts, for the most part). My current basal keeps me pretty flatline steady throughout the day and night when I’ve tested it by fasting. Hypos are very rare, a single dextrose tab and half hour suspend of my pump is usually enough to sort it out.

2) You dose for protein as well as the carbs in each meal. I take insulin for every single gram of carb in my meal as I’m about to eat, and a small amount for certain proteins (white fish and seafood, but not fatty fish or eggs in my case) extended over two hours. I dose 1u:10g carb and 1u:20g protein.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last HbA1c was 29, but have to confess, not that ‘clean’ - drink red wine, gin with fresh lemon juice and fizzy water for a treat and even the occasional brandy! Oh dear, there’s no hope! But I am brilliantly well at the moment! But keto food always!
Got a spare room?