Aches and pains

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Everyone,
I have awful aches and pains in my legs, thighs and eyes this morning. I am on LCHF but had small bowl of rolled oats porage yesterday morning and 2 oat cakes with peanut butter mid afternoon. Was that too many carbs?
Regards

D

Deleted Account

What is your BG level?
That is the only way of knowing if you had "too many carbs".

I find a high (or low) BG will exaggerate any sniff, ache, pain, etc, that I have.
For example, one way I know when my BG is out of range is that I can feel an old sports injury in my arm.

Reactions: Atlantico

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely agree with @helensaramay

We all have different carb tolerances, so what works for you may not work for me, and vice versa.

Having said that, I know when I have been pushing my carb intake too high because I do get achey limbs the next day.
And I seem to get aches in my eyes/eyeballs if my bg spiked high then dropped low too.
But I never really know whether that is from rapid blood glucose changes, or from increased insulin resistance after my body ramped up its insulin release to deal with the carbs...

But my experience might not necessarily match your experience.
Any chance you may be sickening for something like a virus?

Trouble is, it is very difficult to pinpoint the cause, isn't it?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Everyone,
I have awful aches and pains in my legs, thighs and eyes this morning. I am on LCHF but had small bowl of rolled oats porage yesterday morning and 2 oat cakes with peanut butter mid afternoon. Was that too many carbs?
Regards
I believe you must have had either a hyper or hypo during the night, to wake to your symptoms. That is how I felt after hypos during the night.
For me, the oats would be bad for me, I'm intolerant to all grains, but that doesn't mean they are for you. Same with oat cakes, did you take readings before and after? Because that is the only way you will find out.
Best wishes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are eating oats, then you are not eating low carb - you might be able to eat some grains, and 'get away' with it, but hopefully there are also lower carb high nutrition - that is with vitamins and minerals in them - foods in your diet as well.
Perhaps trying to concentrate on having less for your pancreas to get hysterical about would help, foods with lower carb content to soothe it into lower insulin production. Does the gastric dumping happen all the time, or can it be mollified with a period of inactivity after eating, or a particular eating routine?

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are eating oats, then you are not eating low carb - you might be able to eat some grains, and 'get away' with it, but hopefully there are also lower carb high nutrition - that is with vitamins and minerals in them - foods in your diet as well.
Perhaps trying to concentrate on having less for your pancreas to get hysterical about would help, foods with lower carb content to soothe it into lower insulin production. Does the gastric dumping happen all the time, or can it be mollified with a period of inactivity after eating, or a particular eating routine?

Thank you for your reply. At present I feel totally confused!
I seemed to be managing well with 'lower carb' eating but then my thigh muscles started seizing up. This morning my waking bg wa 5.1 For breakfast I had
1 fried sausage, 2 mushrooms and 1 fried egg and a cup of boiled water (having drunk over a pint of water during the night).
I walked 3 mile round trip to the shops and was so exhausted, my thigh muscles seized up and I didn't think I was going to get home, also I felt I was so tired I couldn't think properly. When I got in my bg was 5.2.
I just felt I needed energy and couldn't think what to eat to get me going again so I cooked a tablespoon of porage, added 4 raisins, and served with double cream, sunflower seeds and flaked almonds. 30 minutes later I had continuous very deep yawning
(Not sure if this is me 'dumping'.) It is now 1 hour since I ate and bg is 6 and my thigh muscles feel normal again.

What would you suggest I should have eaten that was lower carb, high nutrition?
Regards

Last edited:

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What is your BG level?
That is the only way of knowing if you had "too many carbs".

I find a high (or low) BG will exaggerate any sniff, ache, pain, etc, that I have.
For example, one way I know when my BG is out of range is that I can feel an old sports injury in my arm.

Thank you Helen.
I have been gradually cutting down my carbs and it is very infrequent that my bg goes 1ess than 4 or more that 7 but I am getting all these aches and pains and my thigh muscles seizing up. Very confused by it all at present.

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Absolutely agree with @helensaramay

We all have different carb tolerances, so what works for you may not work for me, and vice versa.

Having said that, I know when I have been pushing my carb intake too high because I do get achey limbs the next day.
And I seem to get aches in my eyes/eyeballs if my bg spiked high then dropped low too.
But I never really know whether that is from rapid blood glucose changes, or from increased insulin resistance after my body ramped up its insulin release to deal with the carbs...

But my experience might not necessarily match your experience.
Any chance you may be sickening for something like a virus?

Trouble is, it is very difficult to pinpoint the cause, isn't it?

Hi Brunneira,
It certainly isn't easy pinpointing what is causing my problems. The trouble is, when I am at my worst, I can't think clearly enough to work out what I should be eating!

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Here is an update on my BG. At 90 mins after eating my very small bowl of porage my bg was 6.5 and I was getting blurred vision so I decided to do 2 miles on my exercise bike and bg is now 4.8. Has my cycling used up some of the circulating sugar or released more insulin?

Last edited:

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for your reply. I hadn't taken regular bg readings yesterday but I have posted further messages with today's readings.

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe you must have had either a hyper or hypo during the night, to wake to your symptoms. That is how I felt after hypos during the night.
For me, the oats would be bad for me, I'm intolerant to all grains, but that doesn't mean they are for you. Same with oat cakes, did you take readings before and after? Because that is the only way you will find out.
Best wishes

Thank you Lamont. I hadn't taken regular bg readings yesterday but I have posted today's readings.
Any advice is always very welcome.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Here is an update on my BG. At 90 mins after eating my very small bowl of porage my bg was 6.5 and I was getting blurred vision so I decided to do 2 miles on my exercise bike and bg is now 4.8. Has my cycling used up some of the circulating sugar or released more insulin?

The sugar.
It probably has speeded up the use of both, but you have to be careful you don't drive your blood sugar level down to hypo levels doing too much.
Your liver has probably helped as well.
Now you know that even that small bowl of porridge is causing symptoms.
Keep testing, keep trying foods, keep well.

Best wishes.

RuthP

It could be that you are low in sodium and magnesium it is important to keep those up if you are cutting carbs. Check out the Virta Health website for info on this.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What @RuthP said. When you're just starting to cut carbs you lose a lot of salt and magnesium at first. So have a little extra, your muscles will thank you.

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What @RuthP said. When you're just starting to cut carbs you lose a lot of salt and magnesium at first. So have a little extra, your muscles will thank you.

Thank you Ruth and Jo, I will re-look at these and see if my Potass.and Mag need to be increased. You all have so much knowledge, I appreciate your help.
Regards

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have a read of most food labels, because of production, taste and blandness, salt is higher than it should be. Your body over time has gotten use to this.
Since going low carb, you are eating more fresh food, so your body needs to adapt to a lower salt diet, so if you add salt to your meals, you can gradually wean yourself off the high levels of salt. So as you get to really good control, your issues should ease.

Best wishes

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have a read of most food labels, because of production, taste and blandness, salt is higher than it should be. Your body over time has gotten use to this.
Since going low carb, you are eating more fresh food, so your body needs to adapt to a lower salt diet, so if you add salt to your meals, you can gradually wean yourself off the high levels of salt. So as you get to really good control, your issues should ease.

Best wishes

Thanks Lamont, I am having cup of stock cube soup each day to see if this helps.