Newbie!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get a choice really I’m 30 years old and she said she needs to treat it now as I’m far to young to be having it.

I do have a meter I won a contour one in a competition a month or 2 ago but the strips are stupidly expensive for them :(.

Diet wise I told her I had started eating brown bread instead of white and eating more fruit and also eating fruit and fibre type cereal and she was happy with that.

Only downside to the my job which is a van driver I find meals hard not to have a sandwich or chicken and pasta etc for lunch as I struggle to do anything else while I’m out or never know if I will be in the branch at lunch or not.
Brown bread, cereal and fruit. *sigh*. If you have a meter, it'll tell you right quick how bad those things are for a T2. Practically all carbs, including fructose and starches, turn to glucose once ingested. Like you said, you're young to be a T2, and you're just barely in the diabetic range. It'd be so easy to simply adjust your diet and get into the normal range again. (You'll still be a T2, but the likelyhood of complications gets dramatically reduced, and you'd be without medication.).

Basically, low carb/high fat works for the bulk of us. And with your numbers, it should get you into the non-diabetic range in no time at all. And off the meds. I'm not a medical professional, but... If you cut out bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereal, fruit (save for avocado's, berries and tomatoes), you'd be right as rain in a jiff. Low carb foods that won't spike you are meat, eggs, fish, above-ground veggies/leafy greens, cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, nuts, olives, extra dark chocolate, double cream... Check dietdoctor.com, it's got loads of information from doctors and dieticians, and it'll tell you a lot more than that leaflet will. Or Dr. Jason Fung's books. But really... Get a meter and check for yourself. Ideally, between pre-meal and 2 hours after the first bite,you shouldn't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l. Cereal, fruit and any kind of bread will spike you. Don't take my word for it, check your meter. Just have eggs, bacon, mushrooms and cheese for breakfast. Tuna salad with capers, olives and avocado for lunch sound good? Meat or fish with veggies, bacon and cheese? (Sounds fatty, I know, but it works. My doc just told me I'm skinny; I lost about a third of a person this way; 25 kilo's. Used to be a blimp. Also lost diabetes meds and statins for cholesterol. And got well into the non diabetic range. ).

Hope this helps!
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get a choice really I’m 30 years old and she said she needs to treat it now as I’m far to young to be having it.

I do have a meter I won a contour one in a competition a month or 2 ago but the strips are stupidly expensive for them :(.

Diet wise I told her I had started eating brown bread instead of white and eating more fruit and also eating fruit and fibre type cereal and she was happy with that.

Only downside to the my job which is a van driver I find meals hard not to have a sandwich or chicken and pasta etc for lunch as I struggle to do anything else while I’m out or never know if I will be in the branch at lunch or not.
If you're on the road a lot, try to go for burger joints and the like. Just tell them to hold the bun.

Reactions: keefidee
M

Member496333

Brown bread, cereal and fruit. *sigh*. If you have a meter, it'll tell you right quick how bad those things are for a T2. Practically all carbs, including fructose and starches, turn to glucose once ingested. Like you said, you're young to be a T2, and you're just barely in the diabetic range. It'd be so easy to simply adjust your diet and get into the normal range again. (You'll still be a T2, but the likelyhood of complications gets dramatically reduced, and you'd be without medication.).

Basically, low carb/high fat works for the bulk of us. And with your numbers, it should get you into the non-diabetic range in no time at all. And off the meds. I'm not a medical professional, but... If you cut out bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cereal, fruit (save for avocado's, berries and tomatoes), you'd be right as rain in a jiff. Low carb foods that won't spike you are meat, eggs, fish, above-ground veggies/leafy greens, cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, nuts, olives, extra dark chocolate, double cream... Check dietdoctor.com, it's got loads of information from doctors and dieticians, and it'll tell you a lot more than that leaflet will. Or Dr. Jason Fung's books. But really... Get a meter and check for yourself. Ideally, between pre-meal and 2 hours after the first bite,you shouldn't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l. Cereal, fruit and any kind of bread will spike you. Don't take my word for it, check your meter. Just have eggs, bacon, mushrooms and cheese for breakfast. Tuna salad with capers, olives and avocado for lunch sound good? Meat or fish with veggies, bacon and cheese? (Sounds fatty, I know, but it works. My doc just told me I'm skinny; I lost about a third of a person this way; 25 kilo's. Used to be a blimp. Also lost diabetes meds and statins for cholesterol. And got well into the non diabetic range. ).

Hope this helps!
Jo

Phew that’s a relief (my bold emphasis). That means you might actually know something about diabetes :D

Just to add a slight technical nitpick - fructose doesn’t turn to glucose. Fructose is unique in that it goes straight to the liver to be turned into fat. The glucose portion of fruit does increase blood glucose, though. Otherwise I agree entirely with your post. Bread, cereals and fruit will not help :)

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew that’s a relief (my bold emphasis). That means you might actually know something about diabetes :D

Just to add a slight technical nitpick - fructose doesn’t turn to glucose. Fructose is unique in that it goes straight to the liver to be turned into fat. The glucose portion of fruit does increase blood glucose, though. Otherwise I agree entirely with your post. Bread, cereals and fruit will not help :)
Hence, the "not a medical professional ".

Reactions: SaskiaKC

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
Ha Seales, that's nothing, you will be fine. Some people do get upset tummys from metformin, but I take 6 a day and is ok. Don't worry things will be fine my friend. Good luck.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Diabetes Forum mobile app

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

well, not really...not if you count being too terrified to eat much at all,...:***:

And even when i did eat, it was the wrong type of 'good' stuff..:..:eek:..

Happily i got on here pretty soon after, and since then the food choices, as you know are much clearer and the weight, as it has for others, has steadily dropped off. (mind you i did have a good bit to lose...<shame faced> )