cinnamon

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
A friend of mine swears by cinnamon as an aide to regulating his BG reading (he's not officially diagnosed as a diabetic) and for helping with maintaining weight loss.

I can't find anything to substantiate his claims. Even online medication sellers say that there is insufficient data about cinnamon in relation to these claims (especially where diabetes is concerned) so I was wondering, what do the good people of this parish think? Does anyone here take cinnamon, if so, does it work or is it just a placebo?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it works,(for the individual) even if it's just a placebo, does it matter?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've heard that too about cinnamon, and I read an article about it years ago. It does have a small and very insignificant effect on BG, but you have to eat massive amounts of it. The only reason I pop some in my chai is because I like it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Moseley, in his book 'The Blood Sugar Diet' writes that cinnamon does have a small affect on bg and that (somewhere) researchers are working to find out exactly what compound is having this affect and why.

P.S I remember he addresses the question of Turmeric in the same chapter and reckons that the jury is out on that one.
I'm pretty sure @Rachox uses cinnamon of a particular type to help with bg levels.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do take cinnamon (and turmeric as it happens). The weeks when I started them (I didn’t start them at the same time) my blood sugars did fall slightly, I haven’t stopped either to see if it was just coincidence. However both are supposed to be beneficial for arthritis which I have too.
A note about cinnamon if you’re considering taking it make sure you get Ceylon not cassia. Cassia can cause liver damage.

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend of mine swears by cinnamon as an aide to regulating his BG reading (he's not officially diagnosed as a diabetic) and for helping with maintaining weight loss.

I can't find anything to substantiate his claims. Even online medication sellers say that there is insufficient data about cinnamon in relation to these claims (especially where diabetes is concerned) so I was wondering, what do the good people of this parish think? Does anyone here take cinnamon, if so, does it work or is it just a placebo?
Hi there, I've heard about the cinnamon too, so I went ahead and purchased some to try it out. I have been taking it for a week now but I cannot tell at the moment whether it works or not? I would of thought that if it was to have any impact I would have to be taking it for a considerable amount of time, and even then it would be unclear whether it actually works. On the positive note, The pills taste nice though, but there again I like cinnamon. Here is a pic of the actual product which I purchased on line. What really worked for me personally to lower Hba1c from 50 to 40 within 6 weeks from being diagnosed, was an almost no carbs/sugars eating plan and 3-4 times per week badminton. Theo.

Attachments

• 20181207_192544.jpg
    20181207_192544.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 467

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I've heard about the cinnamon too, so I went ahead and purchased some to try it out. I have been taking it for a week now but I cannot tell at the moment whether it works or not? I would of thought that if it was to have any impact I would have to be taking it for a considerable amount of time, and even then it would be unclear whether it actually works. On the positive note, The pills taste nice though, but there again I like cinnamon. Here is a pic of the actual product which I purchased on line. What really worked for me personally to lower Hba1c from 50 to 40 within 6 weeks from being diagnosed, was an almost no carbs/sugars eating plan and 3-4 times per week badminton. Theo.
I started with Cassia cinnamon similar to your picture but read that that type of cinnamon can cause liver problems if you don’t take a break from time to time. Either a weeks break every third week or 2 days off 5 days on it. I switched to Ceylon cinnamon which doesn’t harm the liver instead.

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started with Cassia cinnamon similar to your picture but read that that type of cinnamon can cause liver problems if you don’t take a break from time to time. Either a weeks break every third week or 2 days off 5 days on it. I switched to Ceylon cinnamon which doesn’t harm the liver instead.
Cheers for the tip! I wasn't aware of that I'll check it out.