1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

cinnamon

Discussion in 'Non-Diabetic Medication' started by TTTE, Dec 5, 2018.

1. TTTE

TTTE Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A friend of mine swears by cinnamon as an aide to regulating his BG reading (he's not officially diagnosed as a diabetic) and for helping with maintaining weight loss.

I can't find anything to substantiate his claims. Even online medication sellers say that there is insufficient data about cinnamon in relation to these claims (especially where diabetes is concerned) so I was wondering, what do the good people of this parish think? Does anyone here take cinnamon, if so, does it work or is it just a placebo?

2. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If it works,(for the individual) even if it's just a placebo, does it matter?

3. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've heard that too about cinnamon, and I read an article about it years ago. It does have a small and very insignificant effect on BG, but you have to eat massive amounts of it. The only reason I pop some in my chai is because I like it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Moseley, in his book 'The Blood Sugar Diet' writes that cinnamon does have a small affect on bg and that (somewhere) researchers are working to find out exactly what compound is having this affect and why.

P.S I remember he addresses the question of Turmeric in the same chapter and reckons that the jury is out on that one.
    I'm pretty sure @Rachox uses cinnamon of a particular type to help with bg levels.

5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I do take cinnamon (and turmeric as it happens). The weeks when I started them (I didn’t start them at the same time) my blood sugars did fall slightly, I haven’t stopped either to see if it was just coincidence. However both are supposed to be beneficial for arthritis which I have too.
    A note about cinnamon if you’re considering taking it make sure you get Ceylon not cassia. Cassia can cause liver damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roulis

Roulis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, I've heard about the cinnamon too, so I went ahead and purchased some to try it out. I have been taking it for a week now but I cannot tell at the moment whether it works or not? I would of thought that if it was to have any impact I would have to be taking it for a considerable amount of time, and even then it would be unclear whether it actually works. On the positive note, The pills taste nice though, but there again I like cinnamon. Here is a pic of the actual product which I purchased on line. What really worked for me personally to lower Hba1c from 50 to 40 within 6 weeks from being diagnosed, was an almost no carbs/sugars eating plan and 3-4 times per week badminton. Theo.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I started with Cassia cinnamon similar to your picture but read that that type of cinnamon can cause liver problems if you don’t take a break from time to time. Either a weeks break every third week or 2 days off 5 days on it. I switched to Ceylon cinnamon which doesn’t harm the liver instead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Roulis

Roulis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cheers for the tip! I wasn't aware of that I'll check it out.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook