Breakfast Ideas Please?!

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i am a type 1 diabetic, and i also have coeliac disease. I have been eating 2 slices of toast every morning as it’s the easiest thing before work, but it spikes my blood sugar levels sky high! It will go from 6 to 16 in about 2 hours. Can anyone help with a low carb breakfast or just a breakfast that will not spike my blood sugar?

Also i’m not overly keen on eggs as i know a lot of diabetics choose eggs for a low carb breakfast

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Ham, salami, cheese, pate, tomato, olives, yoghurt, coffee and cream/butter. These are all quick grab from the fridge items. Remember, you are allowed to eat anything you like at breakfast time, it's just the big cereal producers who have convinced us otherwise, most of the world does. Fancy a bowl of miso soup, quick curry? Last night's leftovers?
Sally

Reactions: jjraak

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i am a type 1 diabetic, and i also have coeliac disease. I have been eating 2 slices of toast every morning as it’s the easiest thing before work, but it spikes my blood sugar levels sky high! It will go from 6 to 16 in about 2 hours. Can anyone help with a low carb breakfast or just a breakfast that will not spike my blood sugar?

Also i’m not overly keen on eggs as i know a lot of diabetics choose eggs for a low carb breakfast
If you want to stay with toast, I eat toast for breakfast but have tried various breads to see which has least effect on bg for me (in terms of avoiding spikes). I currently eat Burgen Soya and Linseed which has 11.8g carbs per slice and works fine for me, available from Tesco and I think Sainsbury. Lidl also do a high protein, lower carb bread, can't remember what it's called. And there's something called LivLife bread which Waitrose stocks which is I think the lowest carb of all.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting @hh1....so i looked up that bread on amazon
(i love to google almost anything on amazon and check out the reviews...usually SO much easier, and a good starting point, IF one is sensible about 'fake' reviews.)

Livlife

Criminal charges for delivery, so buy in waitrose as you suggest.

Does get a good review, and this struck me from the comments

"...Hi,
As a diabetic (9 years), I've seen real health improvements by going low carb and basically relying on this bread. Significant improvement in glycemic control (BGs and HbA1c down) as well as lipids (LDL & triglycerides down, HDL up). It's a high fibre bread so that makes some sense. For more info on the compounds you mention, see here: http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e472.htm

£2.50 is steep but its available for £1.50 in high end supermarket and associated online retailer. It can be frozen and keeps well in the fridge too. Is it perfect? Maybe not PERFECT. It is great (for me)? DEFINITELY, I wouldn't be without it.
By Discerning Shopper on 13 July 2018..."

Might go get me some now...mmhh.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want to stay with toast, I eat toast for breakfast but have tried various breads to see which has least effect on bg for me (in terms of avoiding spikes). I currently eat Burgen Soya and Linseed which has 11.8g carbs per slice and works fine for me, available from Tesco and I think Sainsbury. Lidl also do a high protein, lower carb bread, can't remember what it's called. And there's something called LivLife bread which Waitrose stocks which is I think the lowest carb of all.
If people want to include bread in their way of eating, then everybody needs to test what effect it has on their own blood sugars - for me Burgen bread used to be ok but now spikes my sugars too high. I have to go for the lowest carb content breads (around 3g carbs per slice ) such as carbzone high protein or livlife although if I fancy a slice later in the day then Hi lo bread at 5g carbs per slice works.

pjayem1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Emily, which bread are you eating at the moment? I’m a little confused you see. I struggle with bread and cereals but test negative for coeliac disease . However I feel better if I stay away from gluten in general. I find the Livlife Bread is a little friendlier to my stomach. It toasts well too. I’m a T2, by the way.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I haven't eaten bread for a while now, I have yogurt, some avocado (was strawberries last week), full fat natural yogurt and some double cream for breakfast, around 4.5g of carbs, 15g of fat 100ml yog/30ml cream. Blitzed with avocado that will do me for the DAY. I will have evening meal at around 7pm.

I keep some diced cheese with some cucumber as a HGV driver if im flagging on a long one (can be a 15 hr day). Better than getting something from a petrol station.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Emily, I'm assuming your toast was using gluten free bread? I know that seems like a stupid question, but I know a T1, with coelic who thinks cutting down is enough. when it comes to matching her condition. It may or may not be, but when instructing me to go GF, my Endo was very specific, and I'm not even diagnosed with coeliac.

Personally, for a fast, easy breakfast, I have Greek yoghurt. In season I like to have stewed rhubarb on top, but always have a sprinkle of cinnamon, as I like it that way.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Are all of those products gluten-free hh1? I haven't looked them up, but many products, even those professing to be LC contain wheat gluten to make then more "normal" in their look and texture.

I eat a GF diet, but just don't bother with specifically GF products. If a thing contains gluten I avoid it, and as a LCer, I wasn't eating bread anyway. Apologies if they all are GF.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't advise on what to eat as you are T1 and I'm T2, but my hubby is gluten free (not diabetic) and I have noticed that lots of his gluten free substitutions have far more carbs in than the regular breads etc sometimes quite a significant amount

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
greek yoghurt, full fat, natural, unsweeted with a couple of spoonfulls of mixed berries.
Add a few almonds for exra protein and fat. quick and easy.
100ml yoghurt, 80g berries, 12 almonds.
total calories around 250, carbs 12g . can be variation with different manufacturer

jmparkview

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

jmparkview

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge made with semi skimmed milk and water (half and half) - 12grams of carbs per 100g porridge. Much more filling than a slice of toast, and slow to be absorbed, so less risk of blood sugar spikes. I find I feel fuller for longer so less temptation to graze. Or a portion of greek yoghurt (3 - 6 grams carbs per 100g, depending on brand) with blueberries (8g per 100g) / raspberries (5g per 100g). No prep, just a spoon, and even fewer carbs!