Referral to hospital

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not been on here in ages, cut to the chase not been keeping to well,been at my GP a good 4/5 times with not feeling to well, bloods taken change of meds and all sorts, back to seen him this evening and urgent referral to hospital to speak to diabetic consultant to see if i need insulin
He said that since I have been diagnosed that I have never had good control of my blood sugars, he asked me how I feel about insulin my answer “it is what it is I can’t go on feeling like this “
So hopefully I will be seen before Christmas to see what they are going to do.

Reactions: paulmh

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I wish you all the best. When your quality of life suffers you know you have to face up to stuff. Hopefully you will be better by Christmas and have a fair grand New Year.

Reactions: Ceebee2

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks but
I will still have a nice Xmas with my family and loved ones no matter what,but can’t go on the way I am feeling not well all the time and so tired

Reactions: Guzzler

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @James1968 - Ultimately it's a case of getting your blood glucose levels into range and if that means insulin then so be it, so it's good your GP is making you a referral, as someone who is dependent on insulin thank goodness for the NHS and the amazing care they offer in supporting us, it will improve your health mentally and physically so embrace the support they offer and enjoy your Christmas, keep us updated with your progress, things can only get better for you now.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's such a shame that when you read some comments about 'going on insulin' it almost makes it sound like a massive failure. Please try not to worry, I know that many people on this forum are able to avoid insulin by diet alone, etc and that is great and a real achievement, BUT if for whatever reason you don't do it/you can't do it/you don't want to do it, then insulin can be great too. Yes, it takes a lot of effort to manage insulin and there are many disadvantages to trying to control things on insulin but on the other hand it can also be a massive relief. x

Reactions: James1968

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think most on the forum are supportive of people making informed choices along with their HPCs about what is right for them @KK123

I hope you feel better soon @James1968

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I've just gone onto insulin, a week ago.
I'm type two, I'm feeling slightly better already.
Here for any questions you might have.
Take care

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the kind words I know it will be better through time,my GP has been amazing with me and supported me through the full thing,will wait n see what they say at hospital
Thanks Jim

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not been on here in ages, cut to the chase not been keeping to well,been at my GP a good 4/5 times with not feeling to well, bloods taken change of meds and all sorts, back to seen him this evening and urgent referral to hospital to speak to diabetic consultant to see if i need insulin
He said that since I have been diagnosed that I have never had good control of my blood sugars, he asked me how I feel about insulin my answer “it is what it is I can’t go on feeling like this “
I do hope you'll be seen soon, especially with the holidays coming up. If insulin's the answer, then yay for insulin!

Wishing you a quick recovery!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's such a shame that when you read some comments about 'going on insulin' it almost makes it sound like a massive failure. Please try not to worry, I know that many people on this forum are able to avoid insulin by diet alone, etc and that is great and a real achievement, BUT if for whatever reason you don't do it/you can't do it/you don't want to do it, then insulin can be great too. Yes, it takes a lot of effort to manage insulin and there are many disadvantages to trying to control things on insulin but on the other hand it can also be a massive relief. x

I can speak as someone who had a diagnosis of T2. For many of us it can be the first longer term condition we have to learn to live with, and for me I had a massive desire to remain pharma-free, because I couldn't bear the thought of being tethered to a pharmacy for the rest of my time.

Of course that's just silly, but that's exactly how I felt.

Over time I have never taken any medication for diabetes, but over time my thyroid began to struggle, resulting in my trialling some Levothyroxine a few months back. Once I had built up some Levo in my system I felt better than I had done in an age. I had,( and still have until my doses are correct) some very atypical symptoms, but once I felt better, suddenly quality of life trumped my personal ego hands down.

This may not reflect how anyone else feels or has felt, but whatever we have to deal with, a realisation that something isn't going so well and needs some support can be a disappointment. Some will express that as failure and an easy way of expressing their emotional reaction, but given time, I think most make their own minds up about things.

@James1968 - I do hope you can start to feel better soon, because that feeling of turning a corner from the drudgery of trying to cope with something that isn'tplaying ball (diabetes, thyroid or whatever) is fantastic.

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think most on the forum are supportive of people making informed choices along with their HPCs about what is right for them @KK123

I hope you feel better soon @James1968

Hi Alison, yes, I agree that when it comes down to supporting individuals who are going onto insulin and their informed choices, the forum is brilliant. I was really referring to the general conversations about insulin, it sometimes seems to be referred to in hushed tones and sometimes I suspect people pick up on that and think it's a 'bad thing'. Just an observation of course.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if you're not a T2 but a LADA, whose honeymoon has ended.
I was officially a T2 when my pancreas gave up, and I felt rough for a while, not realising my blood sugars were in the 20s. If you are, then insulin will not only keep you alive, but also help you feel better.
Has your c-peptide been checked for insulin levels ? Antibody testing MAY help but isn't conclusive.
Geoff

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I agree with @librarising, had similar experiences.
I hope you soon get the help you need and feel better @James1968.

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you start to feel better soon. What an amazing GP you have!!
I have paid to have private blood tests as my GP is not interested even though my blood sugar can reach 30mmol!! I have asked on many occasions if I could be type 1 and its always a no - but how can they be sure if they have not tested. Am awaiting results. Hopefully will be before Christmas.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @James1968
As you say, it is what it is, and enjoy your chrimbo.
Did they say why you have to go on insulin?
There are many reasons why and one of them could be how many T2s develop diabetes.
One of the many causes of T2, is hyperinsulinaemia. The amount of circulating insulin is too high and insulin resistance is high and pushes your blood glucose levels up, because of the high insulin/glucose levels, your insulin response has been effectively made weak. So every time you have a meal, the glucose derived from the meal will not be processed into energy.
Maybe because of the poor insulin response from your pancreas is the reason why they need to try you on insulin.
What tests have you had? C-peptide? Insulin? GAD?

egontoast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As you have the Kelpies as your profile picture, are you in Scotland? I am type 2 on insulin, and am now well controlled, I hope it helps you.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
GP's can prescribe insulin without reference to a diabetic consultant. At least that was my experience when I requested insulin in preference to medication. Medications all come with side effects, for example Metformin caused me to develop Raynaud's Syndrome. Insulin does not come with a long list of potential side effects, it directly acts to reduce blood sugar levels when needed & gives you control back from the diabetes.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm wondering if you're not a T2 but a LADA, whose honeymoon has ended.
I was officially a T2 when my pancreas gave up, and I felt rough for a while, not realising my blood sugars were in the 20s. If you are, then insulin will not only keep you alive, but also help you feel better.
Has your c-peptide been checked for insulin levels ? Antibody testing MAY help but isn't conclusive.
Geoff

No I have not asked but I will next time I see a nurse or GP