What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 30017 Hi all hope good day had by all as well as being Christmas jumper today it was also low carb cheese scone day - and wow they were wonderful highly recommended - used following recipe thank you @PenguinMum
https://itwontdiabeatus.com/savoury-cheese-scones/
Did make some changes though I added to recipe ( in addition to ingredients listed)
30g of psyllium husk
Extra teaspoon of baking powder
Extra 50g of grated cheese
Extra egg
Extra 20g of melted butter
Extra psyllium husk to roll out scone mix
Increase meant managed 8 scones
Cooked for 20mins not 15 mins
Will rewrite recipe when get chance these will be keepers all family enjoyed and four left for tomorrow. Mum has already requested that I make another batch for her to freeze for going home after holidays! She said and I agreed that could use like a roll too and put filling in for a change.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch lc veggie soup and cheese scone yum!
Dinner salmon cooked in lemon butter served with hollandaise sauce and celeriac and swede parmentier with glass white wine followed by sf jelly and cream.

The scones look great. Ive got some stock left from tonight’s gammon which makes great soup so I’m thinking this is tomorrows lunch.
I was sporting my Christmas jumper today too.

Kingmidas

First of all let me say how sorry I am for the loss of your mum, it’s a horrible time of adjustment.

I get exactly the same reaction you have described if I eat a a higher carb meal than I’m used to now, in fact I’ve posted about it here once or twice so I’m really glad to find someone else who’s experienced it.
I didn’t feel like this before when I was eating a high carb diet, but now - I call it a carb hangover. It feels like I imagine a hypo would but if I check bg they are normal ( around 5s ) so I can only assume its the rapid comedown from a higher than normal bg. Its really unpleasant and the couple of times Ive had it ( not through garlic bread - soup on one occasion that I think was thickened with flour or potato) has convinced me I’m never going back to a carb heavy diet.
That's very interesting. It's really pretty unpleasant but very short lived. A bit like caffeine jitters. It hasn't happened with sugar as I have had the odd bar of normal chocolate, but white flour. I'm definitely not going back to a diet of white carbs thanks! I have wholemeal rice in moderation (like one tablespoon), wholemeal bread (one or 2 a couple of times a week) and I still eat porridge occasionally but I think I'll stay well away from white flour.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's very interesting. It's really pretty unpleasant but very short lived. A bit like caffeine jitters. It hasn't happened with sugar as I have had the odd bar of normal chocolate, but white flour. I'm definitely not going back to a diet of white carbs thanks! I have wholemeal rice in moderation (like one tablespoon), wholemeal bread (one or 2 a couple of times a week) and I still eat porridge occasionally but I think I'll stay well away from white flour.

Weird isn’t it the way we all react so differently to things?
It’s annoying if it happens after something I didn’t realise had carbs in ( like the soup) but otherwise I’m quite ok with it - helps to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Reactions: Lainlainylain

Kingmidas

Weird isn’t it the way we all react so differently to things?
It’s annoying if it happens after something I didn’t realise had carbs in ( like the soup) but otherwise I’m quite ok with it - helps to keep me on the straight and narrow!
Yes definitely. I don't miss many of the things I choose not to eat - not bothered about rice, pasta, potatoes, cakes, white bread - but I just thought ooh, a piece of garlic bread - why not? Well, now I know why not!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate you all!

I have actually, for the first time in about 25 years, bought some Baileys!!!
All your fault.
Been drooling at your posts about Baileys for weeks.

Admittedly it is only the small bottle (half a litre) and it is the chocolate one, not the ordinary, or the coffee. AND I remembered to check the caffeine content first. But I still can't believe I bought it.
The Bailey's website has the Original version at something like 20g carbs/100ml. which is much lower than I was expecting.
So I am guesstimating that my half bottle of 500ml has approx 100g carbs in it. To spread out into however many glasses I can manage.
:D

It has been a weird few days, with odd food, because of Freezer diving, Mr B's shifts, and me realising that I am coming up to the one year anniversary of this carnivore lark.

Can't believe it has been a year!
Also can't believe that I have been unable to reintroduce veg fibre for a whole bloomin' year!!!
The actual anniversary falls (I think) on Boxing Day, but I know that I was needing to eat mainly carni for a week or two before that, on account of gut issues. Xmas Dinner was steak and a miniscule salad. The fried onions were a BIG mistake ;)

So, anyway, my intention is to Carni through Xmas, and then once all the festivities are over, I am going to try re-introducing very small portions of low fibre veg (not sure what yet), one veg portion a day, and see what happens.

Recent eating has been:
Lamb burgers, oomi noodles in cheese and cream sauce, pulled pork (instant pot style) and a rather regrettable family sized bag of maltesers. Not sure how that happened. o_O
@Brunneria - my version of Bailey's is 2.2 per 100 mls if I remember correctly.
Which is just as well as I have problems stopping once I start!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It goes off once it's open.

It has a surprisingly long shelf life - according to the official website. I was rather surprised. And without refrigeration too. (2 years, opened or not, from manufacture date)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! I can’t imagine a week without veg let alone a year. I guess the consequences were enough to keep your mind focussed though. Good luck with your post Christmas trial.
As for Maltesers, my mouth is watering at the thought - I could (and did )scoff my way through a family size bag easily. Don’t dare have them in the house these days though.
I remember the time when I could patiently sit with Maltesers eating the chocolate off first and trying to get to the honeycomb centre without it getting soggy! Same with a creme egg - had to be very slowly consumed and walnut whips ??

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you right.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the site, when I worked in town and went into Marks and Spencer's I rarely came out without someone pushing me to one side or barging into me. Never get that in Aldi or Lidl! That's the only reason I never shop in Harrods food hall!:D
Very civilised in my Markies but the Gyle is another matter entirely.

Reactions: Tori71

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
White flour did for me. I felt awful for about an hour - as if a weight was on my chest.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Emma_369 - great result with your figures. Well done. @Goonergal glad to see you're returning to normality. @DJC3 - Did you get to the Bailey's yet? And @DCUKMod - I found another sweatshirt!! But in recovering that I encountered the mountain of indoor shoes - around 100 pairs! Still no sign of the jacket or the Christmas jumper though.
Bed 4.6 FBG 4.8
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Late morning - remains of the M&S anchovies, Honduran marinated prawns, mozzarella pearls and egg mayonnaise. Off to pick up boys then straight to Lego Club.
D. I'd gone into that can't be bothered mode and didn't know what to eat. Hubby wanted fish so while I was out spotted something in Tesco that caught my eye but I made it up myself rather than get their made one. It was a scallop shell with samphire, few Queenie scallops, couple of tiger prawns and a bit salmon. Had a nice star shaped lemon and chilli butter on it - I made do with their freebie butters. Had my copied version with spinach and a few veggie chips - beetroot , carrot and parsnip. Found them in the freezer section. Scoop of halo top and 2 each blackberries, blueberries and raspberries.

Saving the Bailey's for tomorrow when I make The next batch.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember the time when I could patiently sit with Maltesers eating the chocolate off first and trying to get to the honeycomb centre without it getting soggy! Same with a creme egg - had to be very slowly consumed and walnut whips ??

Oh yes! I think the M&S walnut whips had an extra walnut at the bottom too - or was that the real ones?
Cracking all the chocolate off Maltesers was addictive - always felt I could do it better on the next one!

Reactions: Pipp and maglil55

Lainlainylain

Oh yes! I think the M&S walnut whips had an extra walnut at the bottom too - or was that the real ones?
Cracking all the chocolate off Maltesers was addictive - always felt I could do it better on the next one!
My mouth is literally watering reading these posts...that lovely hollow cracking sound when the chocolate breaks...

I had a flatmate once who loved Revels and insisted on giving everyone around a running commentary until the pack was finished...’mmm toffee, ewww coffee’

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My mouth is literally watering reading these posts...that lovely hollow cracking sound when the chocolate breaks...

I had a flatmate once who loved Revels and insisted on giving everyone around a running commentary until the pack was finished...’mmm toffee, ewww coffee’

Haha we used to play guess the flavour before tasting with revels. (And also ewww coffee!)

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime on tv so I really should be able to find something to take my mind off the tedium, but in the back of my mind I always think I should be doing something more constructive so I spend the whole time checking my watch to see when I can stop. Daft really as I don’t think like that if I’m doing an exercise class or swimming. Its just the tv watching in the daytime I think - makes me feel guilty.

Well, if you need to shrug the guilt trip, you could watch educational videos (of frolicking small puppies, or kittens) on YouTube, or do an onling language course, or something. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was the real ones going back a bit. Markies were different (and are) flavours. Hubby always thought I was a bit OCD over the way I ate these things until I pointed out with Scoth Broth he separates out the peas , barley etc and saves the peas to last!

Reactions: DJC3