Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steak & kiddly's great as long as I'm sharing with someone who'll eat my share of the kiddly....

@Frannon18 please take @Mel dCP and @Juicyj's advice; let Juicyj set your message up as a new thread and tell us more about your diabetes - how long you've had diabetes, what your insulin regime is, what your HbA1c is and so on. The help available here is just amazing. Good luck and best wishes.

Reactions: porl69

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
But shouldn't it be a steak and kiddley pie??? I thought puddings were sweet? ;) :D:shifty::shifty:
@porl69 wrong. I think you know there's a difference between a steak and kiddly pie and a steak and kiddly pud.
If you don't eat the kiddly in the steak and kiddly pud, you don't get the pud............... sometimes called afters or dessert:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 28 but have quite a bit of mental health I was put on meds as a child which I think gave me diabetes. Sorry for the late reply I keep thinking I'll be rejected here like everywhere else so thanks for being so kind and warm to me and and I live in fareham Hampshire, my local team is the Portsmouth hospital QA but my mum's just got m s and suffers with issues herself. She's been a rock for me but can't help me the way I need it. I went to the jigsaw day they had and I was told to stop answering all the questions to give someone else's a chance lol no questions wrong, but maybe I hate myself deep down and punish my self I just don't get it, I set alarm, sticky notes, leave pens everywhere so I don't forget. I've put off having a family because I couldn't let my child go through losing me like I did my dad. Thank you for replying and the support

No, we won't reject you here. The dad that you lost, is your stepdad, is that right? he must have died quite young, if you were only 13 at the time, which is very sad. It must have been very sad for you, and your mother, and family. It's a shame that after such a distressing event you found yourself living with your birth father, rather than with your mother, but unfortunately bad things like this do happen.

You have quite a few complications, for only 28, have you talked to your diabetes team about a pump? or libre? it should be a high priority to get your blood sugar under better control, especially with the mental health issues you have.

It can be hard to ask for things when you think you might be rejected, but usually people involved in diabetes care are very good, and want to help people when they ask for help. There is the odd bad doctor, but most of them are very good.

People can give you advice on what to ask for, and maybe it would be a good idea to get someone to support you when you talk to them about what you need.

It might be a good idea, as @Juicyj says to move to another thread, because there are other people on the forum who maybe don't read this thread, who might be able to give better advice. You can stay here if you prefer, but mostly we just have silly conversations here. So as well as getting sensible advice from the rest of the forum, it would be lovely if you also come and join us here, as well and give us your view on chips and gravy.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 hope the numbers pan out while you're birdwatching. Where are you going?

Hi @SueJB , spent a rather fruitless 4 hours around Barons Haugh, which is a RSPB place near Motherwell. Think all the birds decided it was too cold and stayed in their nests. Only thing of real interest was 4 Roe deer, which looked fairly healthy, munching away at grass/vegitation

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading about pies and deer and reminiscing about a venison pie from the other year :p

My Libre trolled me earlier, finished up in the gym after work to a sloping down line, that put me off swimming so I came home to it having changed its mind and gone up to 8 with a flat line. I did have a banana with me but didn't fancy feeding a drop that would/could have dropped some more with exercise as when I swim on a flat line and eat a 'nana I can still get out to a vertical line pointing down.

All plans of mice and men, Mels catted up by insulen. :woot:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just throwing a spanner in the works here @therower I don’t like chips!! Was never a big fan, and then at age 16, in the hot summer of 76, worked in a fish and chip restaurant. That finished me off!
Lost for words BUT if you don’t like ‘em then there’s little that can be done.:)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All this chat about chips, with or without gravy, reminded me of my student days (many years ago). I was going home from Glasgow on a late night bus, after a night out. I was lucky enough to get a seat but noticed a rather inebriated man coming onto the bus. There were no seats left, so he stood, eating fish and chips. The smell was fantastic but when the bus started moving I noticed the man's hand. It was covered in brown sauce! I cringed every time the bus braked, because the man staggered, reaching out with that hand. I don't know how he managed to complete his journey without covering anyone, or any seats, in brown sauce, but he did. He also finished his fish supper and took the brown, greasy papers away to put in the bin.
Chips and gravy? No thanks, just a wee drop of salt and vinegar, please.:)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well my email to the dietitian seemed to have worked...my DSN phoned at half 4 to ask me what pump I wanted.....told me I should be on it in around 4 - 6 weeks . On the advice of the pump consultant, I have been approved for a years trial! I thought they were a 4 yearly thing myself BUT I am not going to complain (yet)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening all! Not long got in from the easiest day’s supply teaching I’ve had so far. Didn’t even get to give any detentions :( Bloods behaved well, managed to squash the foot on the floor before it happened today, so I count that as a win.

Chips and gravy? Wrong on so many levels. Curry sauce or mayonnaise only for me!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @SueJB , spent a rather fruitless 4 hours around Barons Haugh, which is a RSPB place near Motherwell. Think all the birds decided it was too cold and stayed in their nests. Only thing of real interest was 4 Roe deer, which looked fairly healthy, munching away at grass/vegitation
Still good though @smc we go to Sandy which is great and we love Minsmere, also like the birds at home. Red kites were introduced into this area and are thriving

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all...

Hectic last few weeks and I am absolutely shattered.

So tired that I can’t even remember if I gave my insulin before my food.... will wait and see!

3 more working days. I can do this

3.5 working days... not that I'm counting every minute...

My students reminded me to take my insulin before lunch today as there was a bit of upheaval at the lunch table just as I'd got it all ready and had to stop to sort the upheaval, Then when that had been sorted I nearly started eating without taking the insulin! They're a good lot, and they're as ready as me for the break!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, still dark.
Up at very silly o'clock so marked some scripts, only 200 more to go.
I've done basal unlike yesterday a surprising 6.0 on opening my eyes. Going to try and get on a bike today or at least do some sort of exercise. I can just feel the fatty blob belly growing as I sit in front of the computer marking. Getting a hunch back too!

Reactions: Alison54321