Nice Thought but Inappropriate....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My immediate family have been very thoughtful with their presents for me. Off to the ILs now....
I just thought I’d put this thread up for anyone who wants a rant about an inappropriate gift for a type 2! ;)
(Or maybe we’ve all been lucky?)

1C265D11-4A21-4A7D-932C-401A6CD3C539.jpeg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the family know I have a square or two of dark chocolate every day that solved the problem of what small presents to get me.
So I got dark chocolate covered figs, dark chocolate covered orange slices and dark chocolate covered crystallised ginger - the thought was there I suppose!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and dbr10

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Know that I'm the wrong type, but in previous years MIL has given me 6 pots of jam, and hot choc mix with marshmallows. This year I got socks from her - perhaps she's learning!
Daughter got me a new cheese board and knives, husband gave me clothes.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got some posh chutney from DILs parents, ingredients listed - plums (36%) sugar, apples. Didn't get any chocolate.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the family know I have a square or two of dark chocolate every day that solved the problem of what small presents to get me.
So I got dark chocolate covered figs, dark chocolate covered orange slices and dark chocolate covered crystallised ginger - the thought was there I suppose!
You could always just lick the chocolate off the fruit! ;)

Reactions: Energize

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A slight twist on the original thread.
How many inappropriate gifts have you given?
Everyone must have been polite enough not to say if I’ve given something inappropriate :happy:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This year I am just grateful that people who I love and hold dear are still here to buy me inappropriate gifts- my brother suffered a massive heart attack this year whilst on holiday - he died 3 times and now has heart failure at 52 absolutely no symptoms fit and well - doctors said he shouldn't have survived - he bought me champagne preserve with glitter in as a pressie- it's the best gift I've ever had because I may not have got anything ever again from him

Always appreciate a gift - its not always the gift that is the thing being given (hope that make sense - does to my gin soaked maudlin mind anyway hahaha )

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This year I am just grateful that people who I love and hold dear are still here to buy me inappropriate gifts- my brother suffered a massive heart attack this year whilst on holiday - he died 3 times and now has heart failure at 52 absolutely no symptoms fit and well - doctors said he shouldn't have survived - he bought me champagne preserve with glitter in as a pressie- it's the best gift I've ever had because I may not have got anything ever again from him

Always appreciate a gift - its not always the gift that is the thing being given (hope that make sense - does to my gin soaked maudlin mind anyway hahaha )
That’s a beautiful sentiment @lovinglife and I sincerely hope you’ll receive many more presents from your brother xx

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I got from my youngest niece, a large box of Scottish shortbread and a 2lb bag of fudge. Umm my favourites but of deary me

Reactions: dmckatana
D

Deleted member 308541

My immediate family have been very thoughtful with their presents for me. Off to the ILs now....
I just thought I’d put this thread up for anyone who wants a rant about an inappropriate gift for a type 2! ;)
(Or maybe we’ve all been lucky?)
We stopped giving presents to our two boys a few years back, but I received gift vouchers (Visa debit cards) from my grand kids, so I can get what I want / need. I got a couple of polo shirts from my partner which will come in handy.

I got a pulse oximeter :D
It's a nicer colour than my black and white oximeter.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even before I was diagnosed I never could understand why people liked dark chocolate with fruit inside. I have always preferred dark chocolate to milk chocolate but the only thing I want in my chocolate -- if there "must" be something -- is nuts.

I got a candy cane this Christmas -- I am going to "pay it forward."

As for the pumpkin pie I bought for myself ... lol ... one more piece and then I'll offer the rest to my neighbor who has offered me sweets in the past.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy good clients champagne, I shouldnt really complain when I recieved lots of alcohol and hampers, I dont drink and the hampers are full of jumk hehe, just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave

Reactions: kitedoc and Rachox

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sorry, but couldn't help giggling. They mean well, I'm sure. :) My husband's brother in law is extremely careful when he cooks for me. He didn't fry onions and meat on the same frying pan as he knows that onions are a bit carby, but I might as well not have tried to explain to him that it really wasn't necessary to go to such extents. Very much either or :hilarious:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The only inappropriate gift I got was a small chocolate covered marzipan heart. I'm sure I'll survive, as I'll donate it to my undiabetic husband. The gift is from my younger mentally handicapped sister, and I know that apart from sugar it contains loads of love. I'll accept the love and let my husband have the rest :)