1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Nice Thought but Inappropriate....

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Rachox, Dec 25, 2018.

1. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good for you and for use as a first responder if the equipment in use runs out of batteries. Doesn't hurt to know how your pulse rate is going either !! And an interesting way to give someone the finger !!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. UserABC2021

UserABC2021 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I got a large box of Thorton's Continental :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is the bestest diabetic-friendly present ever.
    Why ?
    Both are made of soap!!!

IMG_3872.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Now they used to be my favourite chocs :(

• Hug Hug x 2
  5. UserABC2021

UserABC2021 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Mine too, and in my inebriated state they are looking awfully tempting ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Rachox

Staff Member

Step away from the Thornton’s!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

A fossilised turtle turd...(true!) it was a hard choice to make... ;)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. slinkimalinki

slinkimalinki Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thisis my third T2 Christmas and in past years my Christmas stocking would be stuffed with chocolates and carby stuff. This year my husband filled it with Beef Jerky, a HUGE tub of unsalted nuts, 90% Lindt chocolate, a bag of macadamias, a couple bottles of no carb beer and a huge jar of mixed olives. Will keep me going for a while. Oh and aa beautiful Herkimer diamond pendant

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do not think we should ever think of a gift whatever it is as being inappropriate for us. A gift is usually given with love and what ever it is it should be appreciated not thought of as being inappropriate. People have no idea about what is not good for diabetics unless they have diabetes their self and why would we expect them to

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Rachox

Staff Member

I totally agree with your last sentence and I would never say to someone’s face that their present to me was unsuitable, however bottom line is if I was given, for instance @HarrisonK ’s Thornton’s Continental I wouldn’t eat them, I’d just share them out amongst my non diabetic family members.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Pinkorchid

I don't think anyone with any sensitivity would tell them to their face their gift was not suitable as you say share it or give it away with discretion at some point but we should still accept and appreciate a gift whatever it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Every year we receive a hamper from a relative. it's full of very high quality foodstuffs, and treats. This year, the speciality teas nad red wine were about the only thing I would usually consume, but the other things will mainly be used up, over time, one way or another.

I wouldn't ever mention what I wouldn't or couldn't consume from the gift, and that would be very inappropriate when that person has put time, effort and thought into their giving.

Bearing in mind, I don't broadcast what I do and don't eat (aside from these days the gluten as I have to check for that very carefully indeed) these folks would never really know who close or far from the mark they were anyway.

I must say, the chilli jelly looks good though!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I like this post that was clearly meant to be funny and light hearted and in no way a criticism of the loving people that give us pressies and the gratefulness we feel. I didn't get any inappropriate pressies but then again, I am one who practically writes out a very specific list! Happy New year everyone. x

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Rachox

Staff Member

You have summed up my intentions perfectly. I value all my presents and even if I had received something I couldn’t use I wouldn’t complain, I’d just give it away.
    I just thought a thread where we could have a rant with fellow DCUK members, if necessary might help :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I have in the past received 'diabetic' chocolates from a work colleague, even though he knew I didn't eat sweets, and we had had a discussion about special diabetic foods being loaded with ingredients that are not at all beneficial, some having laxitive effect if eaten in great quantity. I just let him eat them whenever he was around. :Do_O. He was rather greedy! Served him right for being insensitive.

• Funny Funny x 6
  16. GrumpyOldPhart

GrumpyOldPhart Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My mother, who has been diabetic for many years, sent me some Thornton's toffee, fudge and caramel despite knowing that I have never been particularly fond of sweets, even when I was a child! Hey ho!

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Wow, I'm just glad that the only "inappropriate" present I got was a second calendar!

Of course the pumpkin pie I bought for myself was highly inappropriate, but at least I think it will be at least a year before I will want any pumpkin pie again.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Pinkorchid

My daughter had made for her T2 Dad a personalised sugar free selection box of chocolate and sweets which he loves and he will certainly eat them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Ok I’m being dim. Are you referring to the choc covered Brazil’s? These were actually on my wish list !! as they are hard to find and I love a couple as dessert (Dark as possible though).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Do you mean chocolate covered Brazil nuts? That sounds delicious. I love Brazil nuts but only ever see them in a salted mixture. I would love to try them with dark chocolate.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook