Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Time for bed. Night night all, happy dreams.

Reactions: karen8967

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks for all the welcomes!
I’m surprised to hear how much people are saying stress affects their blood sugars! I know in times of severe stress it can affect it but hadn’t thought of minor stress or excitement affecting it!
I know sometimes I panic so much if I have a high blood sugar and just can’t get it down, maybe it’s the stress!!
Been diabetic since I was 8 months old and you learn new things everyday!
Welcome @XCheesyToastyX, Yes, I have up the basal rate on my insulin pump in order to 'safely' watch an exciting or scary movie. Somehow that does not help me with any nightmares after watching a horror movie though!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m surprised to hear how much people are saying stress affects their blood sugars! I know in times of severe stress it can affect it but hadn’t thought of minor stress or excitement affecting it!
I know sometimes I panic so much if I have a high blood sugar and just can’t get it down, maybe it’s the stress!!
Stress/adrenaline makes me spike quite impressively. Had a red call this evening to a cardiac arrest (I’m a volunteer community first responder), I could track the adrenaline on my CGM to the minute. Had a smaller spike for a subsequent amber call.
Longer term stress makes me a bit insulin resistant so often I up the basal rate on my pump for a bit by 5-10%.

Reactions: porl69

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Fairygodmother here you are:
1oz butter or margarine
1 level tablespoon flour
5 tablespoons of milk or 3 with 2 of beer/ale
1 teaspoon mixed mustard
Worcester sauce to taste
4 to 6 oz cheese Chedder usually
4 slices buttered toas
Heat fat. Add flour. After a few minutes add the rest (not toast obviously) season. Spread on the toast and grill. Mix can be stored in fridge.

Reactions: hh1 and porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Journey home today has my levels at 15, mostly due to an overheating gearbox and the need to get the AA to bring us home. Husband claims I killed his car, luckily AA man says I did nothing to contribute to the overheated automatic gears.

In other words the condition of the ATF wasn't checked?? :D;)
Or was there a leak to the cooler..? (Maybe an oil patch right up front under the rad?)

Edited to add; Hope the AA didn't tow it. & put the vehicle on a flat bed, instead..

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Jaylee I pretty much don’t understand a word. Except yes they put it on trailer. All I know is VW have a history of gearbox issues and this one was replaced in the summer so should be under warranty. Sadly, I don’t understand engines or gearboxes.

Reactions: porl69 and Jaylee

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@Fairygodmother here you are:
1oz butter or margarine
1 level tablespoon flour
5 tablespoons of milk or 3 with 2 of beer/ale
1 teaspoon mixed mustard
Worcester sauce to taste
4 to 6 oz cheese Chedder usually
4 slices buttered toas
Heat fat. Add flour. After a few minutes add the rest (not toast obviously) season. Spread on the toast and grill. Mix can be stored in fridge.

Doing this today

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hello XCheesyToastyX and welcome to this thread. Not too serious here, as you can probably see BUT very helpful when you need a giggle.

Good morning all. Alarms going off a lot last night with highs! Xmas pudding for supper wasn't my best idea, bit oh so worth it. Just woke to a dead level 7.5....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Journey home today has my levels at 15, mostly due to an overheating gearbox and the need to get the AA to bring us home. Husband claims I killed his car, luckily AA man says I did nothing to contribute to the overheated automatic gears.
That doesn't sound good....we don't touch automatic gearboxes so cannot give an opinion on this...fingers crossed it will be something simple

Reactions: Diakat

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Automatic gearboxes:).
My elderly, never had an accident, seen hundreds, mother is very keen on “ autos “
After a few years of driving small manuals ( 3 litre autos couldn’t be justified) it was decided she needed a new car that would accommodate her mobility scooter.
After much searching I sourced a Renault Kangoo, automatic and it had a fully functioning hoist fitted as well. It was perfect and she was thrilled. A test drive and discussion about would she be okay driving it resulted in this comment.
“ I’m 82 , I’ve been driving since I was in my twenties, of course I can drive it ! “
To cut a long story short, three days after purchase she was adamant she had been sold a ringer. On occasions the car would scream as she was driving along. Stopping, turning the engine off and restarting helped sometimes. Other times it made no difference so she just continued driving in a very annoyed state ( it was my fault on account I’d found the **** thing ).
This continued for a few days until I had chance to get over and look at the car. A test drive turned up nothing untoward and assurances were made that car was fine. Shortly after a call was received. “ It’s doing it again!!!!!!!”
A return visit, but this time I let her drive. No problems whatsoever UNTIL we stopped. On restarting the engine we engaged gear BUT not just any gear, oh no , we engaged low1. She then accelerated at great pace. Shortly after she said “ there you go, I told you it was no good! “.
Fortunately the engine and gearbox survived.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll be in my hometown, Edinburgh, for this one - that's always a good one, people come from all over the world to see it.

I went a number of years ago. It was brilliant! A whole bunch of us went, owing to Edinburgh being our band's guitarist's (Dave.) home town.. He basically invited us all up! :D
The free bus rides at the end of the night to clear the city. & the sharing of whiskey on the way back to the accommodation.. :cool:
Fantastic night.

Reactions: kitedoc

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My elderly, never had an accident, seen hundreds, mother is very keen on “ autos “
After a few years of driving small manuals ( 3 litre autos couldn’t be justified) it was decided she needed a new car that would accommodate her mobility scooter.
After much searching I sourced a Renault Kangoo, automatic and it had a fully functioning hoist fitted as well. It was perfect and she was thrilled. A test drive and discussion about would she be okay driving it resulted in this comment.
“ I’m 82 , I’ve been driving since I was in my twenties, of course I can drive it ! “
To cut a long story short, three days after purchase she was adamant she had been sold a ringer. On occasions the car would scream as she was driving along. Stopping, turning the engine off and restarting helped sometimes. Other times it made no difference so she just continued driving in a very annoyed state ( it was my fault on account I’d found the **** thing ).
This continued for a few days until I had chance to get over and look at the car. A test drive turned up nothing untoward and assurances were made that car was fine. Shortly after a call was received. “ It’s doing it again!!!!!!!”
A return visit, but this time I let her drive. No problems whatsoever UNTIL we stopped. On restarting the engine we engaged gear BUT not just any gear, oh no , we engaged low1. She then accelerated at great pace. Shortly after she said “ there you go, I told you it was no good! “.

Lol, drive wise.. I have "L" "S" & "D" on my auto box. Plus a ""Hold" function button that kicks it down a gear..
I had this on both my vans, but the newer 52 plate has a selection read out on the dash.
I had a simalar issue once joining the M4. In the old van. Thought the hold fuctioning was stuck? Then I noticed it was in S.. Easily done. :)

My wife's new'ish car has a "sport fuction" button. With the traction control off too? :cool: It OK!

My wife don't read this forum....;)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went a number of years ago. It was brilliant! A whole bunch of us went, owing to Edinburgh being our band's guitarist's (Dave.) home town.. He basically invited us all up! :D
The free bus rides at the end of the night to clear the city. & the sharing of whiskey on the way back to the accommodation.. :cool:
Fantastic night.

Glad you enjoyed it!

It's become a lot more "Disneyfied" and organised in recent years, but was pretty crazy when I was in in my twenties. No barriers, tickets or crowd control, we'd all be out till about 4 or 5 am, people hanging amps out their windows, and folks kipping in ATM foyers!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you enjoyed it!

It's become a lot more "Disneyfied" and organised in recent years, but was pretty crazy when I was in in my twenties. No barriers, tickets or crowd control, we'd all be out till about 4 or 5 am, people hanging amps out their windows, and folks kipping in ATM foyers!

That's what I call rock & roll... :)
It's pretty much got to be nearly 20 years ago since my experience?

I hope you 'ave a good one this year..

Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Glad you enjoyed it!

I came up for Hog in Edinburgh in the mid 90s, was pretty wild...I recall an excellent curry, fiery dancers, haggis fritters, investigating the authenticity of men in kilts and rather too much single malt. It all got rather messy!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My elderly aunt was never the best driver and we used to draw straws to see who would have the misfortune to sit in the front seat if we were with her. She decided to give up driving the day she put her car into reverse instead of first and took the whole back of the garage with her.