1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Or you could always bargain with them. Find the cheapest, tell the current provider you’re switching because of price and see what they come up with to keep you.
    The lack of WiFi may be the new trick in the box, happened to us too and we were pushed to upgrade. Grrrrr

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Robinredbreast , if that is for home broadband that is very expensive. I am with BT and have got fibre broadband up to 76mb, line rental and TV plus package all for £31.50

Broadband deals can be had with Sky, Plusnet and Talk Talk all for around £25. As has been suggested go to Uswitch.com put in your details and they will confirm best deals

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Bristo Square = student land = avoid!

But that Ting Thai Caravan restaurant on Teviot Place is darned good, I've sometimes arranged my day so I'll be eating there, although it's total guess work on the carb count.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Is your £31.50, plus line rental? I have no idea if EE broadband requires a landline or not, and if the cost is included for @Robinredbreast .

5. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Will do!

The thing I love about an Edinburgh Hogmanay is that when there's 100,000 people in a small space, it's either a football match, where 50% of the people hate the other 50%, or it's a political march where 100% hate the other political party, whereas with an Edinburgh Hogmanay, standing in North Bank Street, near the top of the Mound, you can see all these tens of thousands of people from all over the world jam packed in along Princes Street and the Frederick St, Hanover St offshoots, and you just know that they're not there to shout and get angry about anything, they're just there to watch the fireworks, get pleasantly pi**ed, and hug each other when the bells ring.

It kinda restores faith in humanity - and there's a van on the Mound which does bacon rolls, so it's all good.

• Like Like x 5
  6. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes that includes line rental, 76 mb fibre broadband plus a TV package, which gives me Freeview channels as well around 30 others including GOLD, Discovery, Nat Geo channels, plus BT Sport

Most of the big providers now include line rental in prices and can be had from around £25

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight sleep well everyone

8. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is a joke about a man ringing up a car manufacturer stating that his car was not performing satisfactorily. The man was upset that when he put the auto lever into 'N' for nighttime driving the car would not work !!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I had neither of those things at the time, hahaha ;) hate to disillusion you but I was adopted by cockneys, so sound like Pat Butcher! I was very pale blonde back then too...

Just got in from an eight hour CFR shift, just about to log off when we got a call... winding down with cheese and wine now! At 0230 in the morning :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone have a great day

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Fairygodmother

Good morning Karen, good morning all.
    How are you ‘celebrating’ New Year’s Eve? After looking at the papers this morning, I’m thinking of getting a bucket of sand and sticking my head in it. In reality it’ll probably be a quiet one. Just hoping the belly bum drawers knees are fixed in time for a bigger celebration later in 2019. My birthday. A big one. And 50 years of T1.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning everyone, my blood sugar did some serious zig zagging yesterday, and had a grand finale this morning. Seems to have calmed down a bit now, I hope. No idea why, it just did.

No plans for tonight, just going to bed at a reasonable time. Though I do intend to make a list of all the things I want to achieve in 2019. I started doing that a few years ago, the list making, not the actual achieving, and I think that's when I realised waking up on New Years Day too tired to do anything, wasn't the best start to a new year.

Anyway, have a good new year everyone, enjoy marking it in whatever way you want, and hope you all have a good 2019.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Morning, but of a rubbishy day yesterday with Etch A Sketch doing a good profile for Everest to all the way down the Mariana Trench, own fault but still. :banghead:

Today? New Years Eve? To be honest never been a fan of New Year :***: but off round to friends, who will no doubt have a good moaning session and put the world to rights, long story, plus Chinese and LOTS of booze. :woot::joyful:

On a side note, I have noticed over the years that it seems that alcohol does not seem to drop my BSL anywhere near what it used to, don't know why, just one of those things. :writer:

As for auto cars, love em, espically the ones with tiptronic ability, I spend most of my day in traffic and can't be ar53d going up and down on the blinking clutch just to move 3 feet in a jam :hilarious:

Ok currently running a 2.5 :wideyed: over correct at 4am so I'm off to find/eat some cake.:rolleyes:

Have a fun time whatever you do tonight. :cat::chicken::oldman:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. Fairygodmother

BTW, belly bum drawers is an alternative to Mel’s Cat. Might have to name future cats Belly, Bum and Drawers.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the New Year's Eve bit, just another day, though I guess you could say that about any holiday. Think I should've been a druid, I'd rather celebrate the winter solstice :) Unlike you, I do still get an impact on bg from alcohol. Never been able to tolerate much, so anyone's cheap night out, but a bit too much and it's a down arrow all the way..... Only hypo I needed medical help with was a Christmas night a good few years ago when I woke up in bed at about 12.30 after imbibing intermittently from a late lunch onwards and despite the best efforts of all the jelly babies I could find couldn't fix it. Husband ended up calling an ambulance as I wasn't capable of remembering glucagon in the fridge and he just plain forgot.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Morning and thank you for your replies. The wifi has been off since yesterday and I just heard my phone 'ping' so I checked the wifi and here I am. A technician said my router and system is old and there could be a problem with copper wiring, it may be damaged in some way, but that was just over the phone yesterday.
    So, If I can't get back on here, I want to wish all you lovely people peace, joy, good health and happiness for 2019.
    Sorry for any typo mistakes, as I trying to type this as fast as I can.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. CranberryIce

CranberryIce Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

Back from my Christmas break at mums - no wifi there so missed lots on this forum.

New years eve with the other half :)

Hope you are all well X

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  18. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Unfortunately I couldn't, as I didn't have wifi, but back on line now............ for how long I don't know :rolleyes::wideyed:

19. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

The customer service rep should have pointed out that the "night driving" or "low visibility condition function" switch can be found on the indicator stalk, or possibly located right of the steering cowl on the upper console.. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    #9699 Jaylee, Dec 31, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  20. Fairygodmother

Good health and happiness to you in 2019 too - May you have none of the life-threatening drama you had in 2018, and may you find the perfect job.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook