1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good taste! Good luck with the review.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So cute @Cumberland though my dog loves a good sausage for breakfast, think Banger would be one mouthful judging by his size! I quite often when we're out say to him 'oh is that one or 2 mouthfuls boy?' when we bump in to a smaller dog (which is most dogs!) and wait for the owners reaction.............especially as he likes to get the first bark/growl in - he is of course well behaved and a perfect gentleman.........:rolleyes:

Late on parade again, just when we should be quieting down I get posted to another site where it's all going on, knowing I would be busy today I dropped my basal a touch but still wasn't enough, just had a 3.1, glucose tabs ingested and back to it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Super cool yes :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: knowing all the latest words.....I am a garage receptionist.....if its over 3 syllables I am on google checking the meaning (just had to check I had the right meaning for syllables) :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Knikki I seen you put funny to that!!!!! :):hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

@Cumberland - In our local garden centre the other week, a lady with a mini Dackel, dressed in a knitted Santa coat, getting really freaked out by one of these today, which wasn't far off the same size as the dackel.

Based on his performance, I might not be counting on a guard dog!

Very cute puppy though. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #9665 DCUKMod, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  6. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Greetings fellow colanders

Last 7 days have been decent BG wise, showing an average of 7.5, my best ever. Whats is pushing them higher is the huge spikes I get between breakfast and lunch. But by lunchtime BG are usually back to normal.

Tomorrow should be a fun day. I have my insulin pump assessment with the nurse. Think this will be where they explain a bit how it works.

I know someone did reply to this question earlier but I cant find it. On an insulin pump, think mine will be Medtronic 640, is it only Bolus insulin that is used, or is Basal required as well

TIA

• Like Like x 3
  7. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As I understand it, it's one type of insulin, a fast acting one, but it plays the role of both a bolus, and a basal. In that you set the basal to give very small doses throughout the day, like a long acting basal insulin does, but it's not a different insulin, it's the same one, but just giving small amounts all day, as if it were a basal.

While, when you eat, you use the same insulin as a bolus, and give enough to deal with the carbs in the meal.

So instead of having two insulins, you have one insulin, but it acts as both basal, and bolus. You can set the basal to whatever works for you, throughout the day, so it's much more flexible.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed it all goes well! And yes, you just use one type of insulin, a fast acting - I’m on Novorapid but I think @helensaramay is using FIASP. The pump dribbles it in tiny amounts at a time, 24h a day (at different rates to match when you need it), and then you do a top-up dose for food and corrections. It means you can make changes to your background on the fly, without having to wait a day for a change to take effect - it kicks in within an hour for me. Brilliant.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Evening one and all.
    I’ve had a fairly good day with the BS. A damn sight better than yesterday. Highs lows but nothing in between was yesterday’s theme.
    Sitting here as a relatively happy bunny at the moment. Last day at work tomorrow before a lovely 2 week break. Plans for tomorrow are....do as little as possible, clean and strip the machine down and store away all the highly volatile substances we use. Hope to get all this done for about 11 a.m. just in time for the Christmas buffet. I’ll be trying my hardest to keep in range during and after the buffet ( who am I kidding? ).
    @Cumberland . Banger looks a star. Amazing the interest a puppy can generate from the fairer sex;).
    When i had a boxer puppy as a long haired, spotty youth back in the day, it was the only time that any female ever talked to me.:).
    Off to prep crackers and cheese for me and the wife now. Bolused about 30 mins ago so hopefully all will remain flattish on the Dexcom.
    Enjoy what’s left of the evening.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LooperCat

Evening! Had a pretty poxy day on the BG front, think I’m going down with a chest infection. Wasn’t able to get below 7 all day, even with a 180% basal, so I rage-bolussed myself into a hypo. Will see if I can get some antibiotics sorted tomorrow, I’m coughing up purest green.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight everyone sleep well

• Like Like x 2
  12. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hope you have a stitch to wear @Knikki for the big going out to see the nurse. Fingers crossed that they are charming and result is good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Keep in the amazing zone @porl69

• Like Like x 3
  14. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aches and pain this morning. Darn, must be high BSL,, Oops, no, BSL snuck down to 3 mmol/l.
    Oh well there goes that theory out the window. But ... aches better now that I am back in range.
    I left the gap between bolus and food too long. (writes reminder to one's self). :banghead::banghead::banghead:

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone have a good day

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning everyone,
    Woke weirdly early again and started flapping that I might be hypo, a quick prick showed madam at a rather balanced 4.4
    Long may it continue, well for today at least and I'm really glad I don't have to drive this morning so I don't need to be force fed. Nice walk when the sun's up later. Off to the chemist to pick up prick stick supplies. Is it really Thursday?

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning y'all, 8.9 waking and I'll never eat lemon cheesecake again, ever, as the 5u correction for the very small slice wasn't enough, although the ex took what was left home with her so it's not sitting in the fridge waving and winking at me anymore.
    Mels cat to cakes :)
    Child to the dentists at 09.15, non uniform day for her first secondary school disco :) her school's in the town, just round the corner from the dentists and I'm dreading the traffic straight after breakfast, I don't like my morning routine interfered with much :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

It should be interesting because according to this charming man I started the day at a 2.7 (blood check 4.0) run up to a 5.6 now in work sat with a 2.7 (think its really 4.0 but I have no blood test stick magic on me).

But as I am sat here doing naff all and only have a meeting to go to where I will sit there nod and go UG! it should like most meet very productive. :hilarious:

Office 2016? Useless over bloated piece of unnecessary junk :mad:

On side note last night vinyl, War of the Worlds - Justin Heyward, Grateful Dead not sure which album I have a couple, Bowie - Hero's, Skids - Days In Europe

• Like Like x 5
    #9678 Knikki, Dec 20, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2018
  19. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Well me @porl69 could have sorted the cakes out for you :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. LooperCat

Morning all, relatively smooth night but still running a 150% basal and coughing up revolting gack. Got an appointment with my GP at 11, so it’ll be a fairly dry Christmas assuming I get antibiotics! I might not mention the 1.1 ketones, as that’s normal for me with my way of eating ;) Actually feeling a bit better than yesterday, but I know how quickly these things can go downhill and land us in deep doodoo.

@Knikki - I do love a good vinyl session. Having to get off my backside to flip it every 25 minutes stops me from becoming too idle :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook