Beware the Bacon

D

Deleted member 308541

Isothiocyanide is very poisonous I believe, so stop eating broccoli, brussels, and cabbages. Food and water is also stuffed full of nitrates and nitrtiles from agricultural processes such as lightning fixation, muck spreading, fertiliser application, and car exhaust fumes, also airplane contrails.

fxhdzfhdaf.jpg

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Another scare to add to your list is Acrylamide. When you overcook fried food (especially when burnt) it creates this stuff.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another scare to add to your list is Acrylamide. When you overcook fried food (especially when burnt) it creates this stuff.
Not limited to fried foods. It occurs whenever flour or starch is burnt, such as breadmaking, toast, cakes, creme brulee, and the EU is looking at laws to limit oven temperatures for commercial premises such as bakeries, patisseties, restaurants and hotels to remove their ability to brown foodstuffs. Our new toaster refuses to give decent shades of brown even on a second pass, and our new Ecohobs refuse to crisp bacon. Its already happening at an electrical outlet near you. I may be forced to convert back to gas at this rate.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was something in the news this morning about bacon and ham but I never caught it all but it did mention cancer. Good or bad we only believe what we want to. I don't eat bacon because I don't like it but if I did then I would probably ignore what is said about it and go on eating it

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I attached a report on a study into nitriles causing cancer (apparently) which was carried out in 2015. I now find a study report from Belfast Queens on the same subject drawing the same conclusions.

What surprised me is that this supposedly new and independant study copied text and methodology word for word from the 2015 report so is a plagiarised copy supposedly to reaffirm these findings. It will fool many and the press is making sure it succeeds since Aunty Beeb is already trumpeting it on the news this morning. To paraphrase a well known saying, If you repeat fake news often enough and loud enough it becomes real.

It seems bacon can be preserved by using Green Tea residues insted of nitriles, and the phytochemicals give the protection. This is the new bit I read in this latest report. Better stock up on green tea before it becomes scarce and expensive. Whether phytochemicals are any safer than nitriles remains to be seen since it is unlikely that there is any scientific studies to give us the evidence needed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting listening to the R4 news this a.m... they mentioned the bacon and processed meats "caused" cancer and then sneakily stuck in red meat too... more brainwashing...

Reactions: Charis1213

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was something in the news this morning about bacon and ham but I never caught it all but it did mention cancer. Good or bad we only believe what we want to. I don't eat bacon because I don't like it but if I did then I would probably ignore what is said about it and go on eating it
I still eat bacon if / when I fancy it, but I will only buy one variety which is nitrite and nitrate free and as I dont like sausages, ham, salami etc so dont eat them anyway
I don't get worked up about every food related scare story - lifes too short - but life’s also too short not to take obvious / easy / simple steps to reduce risk - whether its to do with food related risks such as meat curing, eating over processed c***, or non food related risks such as STDs, crossing the road, etc etc etc

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Not limited to fried foods. It occurs whenever flour or starch is burnt, such as breadmaking, toast, cakes, creme brulee, and the EU is looking at laws to limit oven temperatures for commercial premises such as bakeries, patisseties, restaurants and hotels to remove their ability to brown foodstuffs. Our new toaster refuses to give decent shades of brown even on a second pass, and our new Ecohobs refuse to crisp bacon. Its already happening at an electrical outlet near you. I may be forced to convert back to gas at this rate.

Have you tried a bacon crisper?
That is, a lump of cast iron with a handle which you put on top of the bacon in a frying pan?
Flattens out the bacon, gets everything in contact with the heat, and traps the heat in as well.
Works well on most hobs.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking up nitriles in wikkipedia is interesting. There are many natural sources of nitriles, including almonds and brassica. Nitriles are included in many diabetes medications, mainly the Gliptins, and nitriles are produced when carbohydrates are oxidised in the presence of ammonia as occurs in the digestive system of mammals. One of the gold standard treatments for breast cancer uses nitrile based compounds in the active ingredient, so though it may be suspected to cause cancer, it certainly seems to help cure it too. So banning bacon will not stop the onslaught from these compounds. Nitriles are present in formic acid and formaldehyde which were used many years ago as preservatives,.

There is certainly an agenda to stop us farming or eating meat, so these studies which concentrate on meat products while ignoring totally the normal incidences of these compounds is indicative of someone pushing a different agenda but using pseudo science to validate their claims. There is a lot of money behind this attempt to sway public opinion against meat.

PS In the post I put up about the John Hopkins study report, I have found that this university is funded 90% in their research program by the National Institute for Health (NIH) which is the USA equivalent of our PHE. No wonder Eatwell survives. In UK the DVLA and NICE both use the same company to do their research and guideline writing (TREND UK Ltd)

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was avoiding anything with Sodium Nitrite because of high blood pressure (from the Sodium) . So I've cured any cancer (without curing myself with the Nitrite) and I didn't even know about it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Better to be safe than sorry, remove the stupid nitrates (and any other cheaper preparation methods from all foods, plastic etc).

I just checked my fridge and saw 2x Naked nitrate free bacon and 2 other packets with nitrate; I shall be asking Mrs B to get 100% nitrate free only. As a rule I believe in a minimalist amount of processing where possible, and as Aseem is on this, I for one will take note, as one of my daughters in particular has bacon often. I have bacon 3 times during 2 weeks at networking so am not to worried.

As I have said before there needs to be a singular body with associates of familiar LCHF, Keto etc who respond with facts. I would caution Aseem to be careful about associating himself with relative risk nonsense; what about estrogen in Soy and the triglycerides created by carbs causing oxidative stress which turns good LDL into the bad type. We have just had the biggest sugar fest of the year which would have caused untold physical damage to millions, with smiles on our faces, with basically every delight having somewhere between 60 - 80% glucose - nothing from a singular voice about arguably bigger risks, just more meat bashing.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did I mention the hazards of non stick frying pan as well. No? Perhaps its better to never go in the kitchen ever again.

D

Deleted member 308541

Did I mention the hazards of non stick frying pan as well. No? Perhaps its better to never go in the kitchen ever again.
Where did it all the teflon go, long time cooking ♪♫♪♫

Sung to the tune of "Where have all the flowers gone"...

bm32LuJ.jpg

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting listening to the R4 news this a.m... they mentioned the bacon and processed meats "caused" cancer and then sneakily stuck in red meat too... more brainwashing...
well the lchf diet is so popular and people are getting healthy so big pharma can't make money on healthy people .

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Better to be safe than sorry, remove the stupid nitrates (and any other cheaper preparation methods from all foods, plastic etc).

I just checked my fridge and saw 2x Naked nitrate free bacon and 2 other packets with nitrate; I shall be asking Mrs B to get 100% nitrate free only. As a rule I believe in a minimalist amount of processing where possible, and as Aseem is on this, I for one will take note, as one of my daughters in particular has bacon often. I have bacon 3 times during 2 weeks at networking so am not to worried.

As I have said before there needs to be a singular body with associates of familiar LCHF, Keto etc who respond with facts. I would caution Aseem to be careful about associating himself with relative risk nonsense; what about estrogen in Soy and the triglycerides created by carbs causing oxidative stress which turns good LDL into the bad type. We have just had the biggest sugar fest of the year which would have caused untold physical damage to millions, with smiles on our faces, with basically every delight having somewhere between 60 - 80% glucose - nothing from a singular voice about arguably bigger risks, just more meat bashing.
Choose your poison
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...s-for-meat-preservation-2472-0542-1000134.pdf

Sodium Nitrate as been used for hundreds of years for meat preservation so is not a new kid on the block, If they (Naked) are not using nitrates or nitriles for curing, then what are they using to prevent botulism, and similar nasties from leaping off these rashers into our tummies? Freezing on its own is not sufficient protection it seems. It will have some similar poison or process bet your boots on it. Not necessarily any safer.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The SKY News item today had Maholtra on location on Argentina giving the story, but although several MPs were alluded to as calling for it to be made illegal, none of them chose to front the camera. Instead they went to a Biker cafe on the N Circular (ACE Cafe for those in the know or in their dotage like me) so guess what the response there was?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Choose your poison
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...s-for-meat-preservation-2472-0542-1000134.pdf

Sodium Nitrate as been used for hundreds of years for meat preservation so is not a new kid on the block, If they (Naked) are not using nitrates or nitriles for curing, then what are they using to prevent botulism, and similar nasties from leaping off these rashers into our tummies? Freezing on its own is not sufficient protection it seems. It will have some similar poison or process bet your boots on it. Not necessarily any safer.
Apparently it is a guarded secret Mediterranean fruit and spice extract cure. I would expect a body like the FSA would have to approve this? I don't mind processes coming under scrutiny, just waiting for the press to detail how vegetable oil is made....bleaching, deodarisation, etc.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This stuff is just lazy journalism to fill the void during Trumps Christmas vacation. It neatly sidesteps the real and existing problems of over population and climate change.
To get cancer from bacon you need the genetic susceptibility , a corn passage time of 2weeks and a consumption of 5kg a day. ( note: these figures are not accurate, I just made them up for impact). Nitrates/triles are not in the same league as cigarettes and alcohol.