Please don’t stop posting...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The tumble from the wagon for me is not so much eating junk. It is more eating delicious, carefully chosen, low carb options. Then eating it in bigger portions than usual. That coupled with slobbing about to avoid, traffic congestion on the roads, and avoiding social gatherings because everyone seems to want to share their coughs and colds, has meant 10 days of stagnation. The sport centres are closed, so can't do my usual swimming exercise. The wagon I need to get back on is the moving about wagon, or even the just going outside wagon. It would be very easy to continue sitting with feet up, reading and watching rubbish TV, and for that to continue until after new years day. So today, I got out into the countryside and walked in the fresh air. Observed promise of spring with bulbs shoots breaking through and some trees have blossom already.
It can be so easy to slip into bad habits not just with food, but with lack of exercise too. Guilty as charged on the activity front,but now I recognise that I will be up and out again tomorrow whatever the weather, because I know it is what I need to do to prevent weight gain and increases in blood glucose levels.
Thanks for starting this reminder thread, Brunneria.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm starting the climb now (but its a long way up). :arghh::confused:

@Chook so good to see you back. You’ve been missed. Please come back to the ‘What have you eaten today?’ thread. It’s still fab and so supportive.

Reactions: Freema

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The tumble from the wagon for me is not so much eating junk. It is more eating delicious, carefully chosen, low carb options. Then eating it in bigger portions than usual

@Pipp exactly the same here, and has been happening on and off for a few months, not just over the holiday period. Renewed focus began yesterday.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp exactly the same here, and has been happening on and off for a few months, not just over the holiday period. Renewed focus began yesterday.
Recognising what needs to be changed is half the battle, @Goonergal .
Admitting it here also has the advantage of knowing others will be interested in your progress, and willing you to suceed.
You can sort it, and so can I. Or indeed any of us with the will to face reality.
AND, as per the thread title..... None of us should stop posting, because that is a slippery slope.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp I agree with you about the low-carbs and high amounts of them I eat. I think, "It's low-carb so I can have another one ...." !!!

One thing I like about where I live is that there is a small shopping center right next door so I can walk to the grocery store, to the post office, to the bookstore, to the drugstore, etc., and get my exercise while I'm getting other things I need too. My building has long corridors so I can walk them for exercise when the weather is bad

The problem is actually doing that. It is one thing to walk for food, or to mail a package, or browse books; it is a whole other thing to put on shoes just to walk the corridors with no scenery (but also no rain/cold/heat).

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp I agree with you about the low-carbs and high amounts of them I eat. I think, "It's low-carb so I can have another one ...." !!!

One thing I like about where I live is that there is a small shopping center right next door so I can walk to the grocery store, to the post office, to the bookstore, to the drugstore, etc., and get my exercise while I'm getting other things I need too. My building has long corridors so I can walk them for exercise when the weather is bad

The problem is actually doing that. It is one thing to walk for food, or to mail a package, or browse books; it is a whole other thing to put on shoes just to walk the corridors with no scenery (but also no rain/cold/heat).
Thing with low carb is that the theory is eat when you are hungry, stop when you have had enough. Trouble is that it is easy to forget this when the food is deliciously low carb and there is an abundance of it. Then you still get that feeling of being overfull, and it is easy to just forget you don't need more, so you slide off the wagon. Realising this can stop you in your tracks, and you have a choice between reaching out and getting back up, or being left at the roadside as the wagon keeps rolling.

annie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Needed this post!! Been on and off the wagon since Christmas. This was my first Christmas post-diagnosis, and while Christmas dinner itself was fine, it's the gifts - the chocolate, the shortbread! - that have knocked me back. Always feel horribly guilty when I don't eat something that someone lovingly gifted me. Not sure what to do with the half tub of Celebrations I have left as I have no one to palm it off to and I don't want to throw it away! But desperately want to get back on track. 2019 will be the year I get my sugars under control.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey well I have also fallen totally off the waggon , but tomorrow I’ll start doing better this night I’ll enjoy the drinks my daughter will mix and enjoy the roasted potatoes and parsley chicken my mother has ordered me to make And also have an old fashioned fruit salat of whipped cream and dark chokolate and all sorts of fruits and then the sinful champagne at 24 hour jumping into the new year

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My numbers are really s**t at the moment and probably nothing to do with the time of year, they have been for 4 months....
and tonight we didn't actually have anything in the house... so did carbonara, with lots of double cream, eggs and cheese and a glass of red wine (first in two weeks)... not for the purists that's for sure.... followed by a long walk.
Posting is good.
I am in the same boat!!! Do not see a lot of point in stabbing away, I know within a tiny margin what it will be. There is just too much cortisol sloshing round. For me this site is about motivation and encouragement, wouldnt want to deflate you all

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I sat with a tub of clotted cream and a teaspoon last night! I can't wait for everything to be eaten or thrown away. Then I won't have any temptations - it's safer to not have it in the house. But I have signed up for a 'zero to 5k' programme which starts next week!

Reactions: Prem51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, since it is confession time, I admit to giving in to temptation last night. I had two beers, then someone brought out the pringles. I ate three, and thought they were disgusting. So ate a load of cashew nuts instead. Finished up with rather a lot of cchocolate, but as it was 74% stuff that somehow seemed ok, so carried on eating it.

It is so easy to get caught out. I will be fasting today until evening, and not bothering with alcohol at all. I enjoyed the beers last night, but got that over with, so no need to repeat the exercise.

Some thoughtless person has gifted us chocolate biscuits and sweets, but they will not be opened, and will be gifted to the local food bank instead. We usually get that sort of stuff out of the house as soon as we can. I am not interested in sampling them, but it could be different once they are open. Though I would not be averse to chucking them in the bin if someone else should open them.

Reactions: hankjam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sat with a tub of clotted cream and a teaspoon last night! I can't wait for everything to be eaten or thrown away. Then I won't have any temptations - it's safer to not have it in the house. But I have signed up for a 'zero to 5k' programme which starts next week!
I just stuck a couple of teaspoons full in my coffee.. yum..

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be snacking on spoons of crème fraiche....
Bought a lot to help the Christmas pudding go down... didn't have any CP so working my way through the CF
:)

Reactions: Goonergal

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well, since it is confession time, I admit to giving in to temptation last night. I had two beers, then someone brought out the pringles. I ate three, and thought they were disgusting. So ate a load of cashew nuts instead. Finished up with rather a lot of cchocolate, but as it was 74% stuff that somehow seemed ok, so carried on eating it.

It is so easy to get caught out. I will be fasting today until evening, and not bothering with alcohol at all. I enjoyed the beers last night, but got that over with, so no need to repeat the exercise.

Some thoughtless person has gifted us chocolate biscuits and sweets, but they will not be opened, and will be gifted to the local food bank instead. We usually get that sort of stuff out of the house as soon as we can. I am not interested in sampling them, but it could be different once they are open. Though I would not be averse to chucking them in the bin if someone else should open them.

Isn't it strange? I can resist almost everything as long as it hasn't been opened even if it is on show but once that wrapper is off Bam! I'm on it like a blummin' greyhound. Sigh...

Reactions: hankjam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it strange? I can resist almost everything as long as it hasn't been opened even if it is on show but once that wrapper is off Bam! I'm on it like a blummin' greyhound. Sigh...
yep know exactly what you mean... that green and blacks 85% choc was just begging to be finished up in 2018..!

Reactions: Goonergal

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
yep know exactly what you mean... that green and blacks 85% choc was just begging to be finished up in 2018..!

The box of Ritz crackers is still in the cupboard and remains unopened... watch this space.