Please don’t stop posting...

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Instead of a nice lunch and dinner I spent the afternoon/evening with mum at the hospital with heartproblems (tachycardia, I'm thinking electrolytes were a problem? Not that anyone tells us anything!), where all I had was tea and heaps of stress. She's home again, but when we got there the ruins on the family feast were there. (Aunts, uncle, cousins and their boyfriends were all there until the **** hit the fan and we called an ambulance. They were invaluable!). I caved and had some of the luxury chocolates that had gone untouched, sitting abandoned on the kitchen counter. Ketosis be damned, I needed chocolate!

About three hours later I was shivering and shaking. Low bloodsugar, but only just. So I guess I can reasonably suspect RH? Would explain why I hypo'd a couple of times in the past years, before trying keto, while as a T2 that shouldn't happen. Ah well. RH or not, I suppose it doesn't matter if I stick with the diet. Back to keto I go. And will drive back to Tilburg today or tomorrow, depending on what mum wants/needs. Hate that I also have to take care of me in the meantime. It's hard to care enough to, when you're rushing around for someone you love. I wish this year were over, it's been a bad one.

Hope wholeheartedly everyone's having a better christmas than us! Xxx
big hugs jo....

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I actually will stop posting for awhile. I have just read a very judgemental and chastising post directed at me by a moderator who has no knowledge at all of me or my life, but who made an assumption about me that was unfair and unwarranted.

I replied, enlightening said moderator, and reported their post, but I'm still angry, and it's really put me off posting here.

So I'm going to take a break. I don't come here to be jumped all over by someone who's supposed to moderate and, hopefully, be moderate.

Hi @SaskiaKC

Sorry to hear you have been upset. I would encourage you to contact the moderator in question, by PM, and discuss things. The entire mod team are a friendly, approachable bunch, and PMs often clear up misunderstandings.

It would also be a pity if this supportive, upbeat thread was derailed with a personal grievance.

Reactions: Prem51

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @SaskiaKC I'm sorry that you've been upset, but please don't leave us. As @Brunneria says it's best to try to sort things out. Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding. Sending hugs xxxx

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I am still here despite the fabulous roasties with Christmas dinner! AND I am going to have them again but not until next Christmas :)
Big cooked breakfast with champagne. No roasties for me, but parsnips,carrots and cheese biscuits. LOT of Champagne though, and a couple of chocolates. Boxing day though, thats another story

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Christmas is most definitely not the most wonderful time of the year !!!
It can be miserable, but so can any time of the year. But then times can be good at any point as well. Hope things pick up for you soon.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, everyone. I've been thinking and I don't want to go because this is a great BB with great people. I like being here. As my mother would have said, I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.

Hugs all round.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to confess to two lots of Yorkshire puddings - but they are somewhat adapted to being lower carb - the milk is replaced by cream and water, there are three eggs and I use bread flour to increase the protein and only 3/4 the amount as it works better than the plain flour, and extra lard in the tins.
They are thought to be superior to my mother's far more frugal recipe which I used for decades - so thank you diabetes for pushing me into making the alterations.
I also ate roast parsnip and carrot, and other veges - but the mountain of roast potatoes did not tempt me. I have tasted them over the last year, just to check, and there is no attraction at all.
I haven't had any chocolate in the house for some weeks, my carb 'hit' at the moment is a watermelon, the previous one a punnet of plums. The scale informs me that I need to watch out and cut back - that is the problem with improved sensitivity to insulin, which I think has happened for me - upping my carb intake is shown almost at once as an increase in weight. I always take that as the signal to take action even if it is just a few pounds as I have had so many bad experiences losing weight. Cutting carbs and seeing my weight start to decrease is always reassuring, but it doesn't stop the worry.

What do you think makes you more sensitive/less resistant to insulin? I’m pretty sure in my case it’s low level exercise. Of course I slipped over Christmas but I was back down the gym today.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you think makes you more sensitive/less resistant to insulin? I’m pretty sure in my case it’s low level exercise. Of course I slipped over Christmas but I was back down the gym today.
I am not sure what did it - I am going out more, building up my muscles a bit with regular activity with the morris side and playing at music sessions - I just noticed that my ability to put on weight easily was back again.

Reactions: Freema

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I've not been here since September 2018.. (got diagnosed in july 2018 i think cant really remember) I still can't get my head round being disbetic.. im still running.. I stopped doing my bloods, stopped my medication & won't go to doctors...
I feel pressured ... do this, do that,don't eat this, dont eat that.... i know I'm unwell but untill I can get my head straight about it, I guess I'm rebelling... anyway not to carry on winging, I'm still here & reading... bye

Find your own way in this, and don't let anyone pressure you. It's such a personal condition, you need to find a way where all this works for you. Do this, do that... It can indeed be restricting, limiting.... For me, my body just wasn't functioning anymore until I made some changes, so didn't have much of a choice, I felt. But it made life a whole lot better to tackle this, as I was just existing at one point, miserably so. (And better glucose control also improved my mood loads). I hope you feel better soon, and able to face this head-on. Takes some time, but grant yourself that. If that is what you need, mentally and physically, to take it easy, do it. Be gentle with yourself, and go from there.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, everyone. I've been thinking and I don't want to go because this is a great BB with great people. I like being here. As my mother would have said, I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.

Hugs all round.
Glad you changed your mind. :) *hug*

Reactions: zauberflote

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More hugs from me and a song for you to listen to while waiting for the right time to ring her. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Thank you, also for the excellent choice in music! :) (Sparks' 2017 album rocked) Mom's doing a lot better now. Turns out het GP doubled the dosage of her hydrochorothyazide, so she was continuously going to the loo, -about every 15 minutes, and yeah I did check her bloods, but she's not diabetic.- and was severely potassium-deficient. Hence the racing heart that just wouldn't stop and the nausia and passing-out feeling. The cardiologist at the hospital commented on the dosage, that the GP should've left well enough alone. So she's back to the original dosage her own cardiologist perscribed, and taking loads of supplements... Right now she's feeling fine and has more energy than I do! We visited yesterday to drop off the supplements, some groceries and do our little gift-exchange, and we'll pick her up tomorrow morning to do all the things she'd planned to do... Have the roast a few days late, visit shops in our area she likes, just have her over for a few days... After that I'll slip into a week-long coma, but I'm just glad she's feeling so much better! And my family, well... They were just amazing. Helping out, thinking when I couldn't string a sentence together from worry, all that. And mom's neighbour passed us yesterday when we just arrived at mom's, and turned her bicycle straight around to ask how things were going. (She started crying because she loves mum so much. I was hugging a complete stranger in the street. That's a biggy, because people and social situations scare the living **** out of me. But it's so nice to know so many people care about my mum! :) ). So it wasn't quite the christmas we had planned, but I'm just SO glad mom's still with us. She's had heart problems/surgery before, and they told her then she wouldn't live another 10 years. That was 13 years ago. So what do doc's know, eh? ;) Sorry about the ramble, just relieved it's all looking up now. :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you, also for the excellent choice in music! :) (Sparks' 2017 album rocked) Mom's doing a lot better now. Turns out het GP doubled the dosage of her hydrochorothyazide, so she was continuously going to the loo, -about every 15 minutes, and yeah I did check her bloods, but she's not diabetic.- and was severely potassium-deficient. Hence the racing heart that just wouldn't stop and the nausia and passing-out feeling. The cardiologist at the hospital commented on the dosage, that the GP should've left well enough alone. So she's back to the original dosage her own cardiologist perscribed, and taking loads of supplements... Right now she's feeling fine and has more energy than I do! We visited yesterday to drop off the supplements, some groceries and do our little gift-exchange, and we'll pick her up tomorrow morning to do all the things she'd planned to do... Have the roast a few days late, visit shops in our area she likes, just have her over for a few days... After that I'll slip into a week-long coma, but I'm just glad she's feeling so much better! And my family, well... They were just amazing. Helping out, thinking when I couldn't string a sentence together from worry, all that. And mom's neighbour passed us yesterday when we just arrived at mom's, and turned her bicycle straight around to ask how things were going. (She started crying because she loves mum so much. I was hugging a complete stranger in the street. That's a biggy, because people and social situations scare the living **** out of me. But it's so nice to know so many people care about my mum! :) ). So it wasn't quite the christmas we had planned, but I'm just SO glad mom's still with us. She's had heart problems/surgery before, and they told her then she wouldn't live another 10 years. That was 13 years ago. So what do doc's know, eh? ;) Sorry about the ramble, just relieved it's all looking up now. :)

I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up. What a scare! You must be really relieved, and I know how heart warming it is when people who're not immediate members of one's family show compassion and care, like your mum's neighbour. Your mum must be a very special person. Enjoy your slightly postponed Christmas :)
Sparks is probably the most underrated band ever. I've loved them since way back in the 70es, and enjoyed the concert I went to in August '17 for their hippo-tour immensely. Probably one of the best evenings of my life. Let's count to 3 and listen to 'Never turn your back on mother earth' together :) More hugs.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@JoKalsbeek what a wonderful outcome for your mum! And your “hugging a complete stranger in the street” has made my eyes leak, as we used to say on Cheezburger. Enjoy the next few days, and then yes, you will deserve a coma!

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Jo - That message asys you've had so many wins in the last few days, both for your Mom, but for you too. All too often somethng good comes out of something really, really horrible and if hugging a complete stranger was a big win for you, then you should rally celebrate that - even if it's just by rrelaying the ppositive thoughts you had at the time.

Gla dyour Mum is feeling much better too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoKalsbeek thanks for the update. I have been thinking of you and am so glad the solution was as simple as tweaking the dosage of her pills. What an extraordinary daughter you are. Enjoy the rest of the holidays.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JoKalsbeek I am so glad to hear your mother is doing so much better. :)

A new doctor tried to put me on hydrochlorothyazide several years ago and it was really scary for me, suppressed my breathing because it has a sulfanomide in it I think. I can't take any of the diuretics for high blood pressure, so I take 3 others. I'm glad you posted the good news, and it made me happy to read about your meeting with the neighbor. Good friends are such a gift!

@PenguinMum , thank you so much.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi All,

This is addressed to everyone (not just the low carbers) who have fallen off their wagon over Xmas.
Doesn’t matter what particular wagon it is.

Every year we get posters who go AWOL around this time year. Could be the roasties, the Tin of Quality St, the extra special superdooper family recipe eggnog...
Whatever the cause, they disappear. Starts as one day, then it grows, and grows... amazing how far ‘just one more’ will take you.
Sometimes it can last til April, if you let it.

Well, I am encouraging you to get that meter back out.
Stop buying your version of kryptonite (whatever your brand of kryptonite happens to be).
And just keep reading and posting on the forum.
You will find you are very much NOT alone, and that clambering back on your particular wagon is really much easier when you aren’t going it alone.

Don’t feel guilty.
Don’t feel ashamed.
Just keep in touch.
:D
We’ve all been there.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boxing day is a really big deal in our family. This year there were 27 of us. Four generations. Age range from 86 to -5days. Was half expecting one more.
Foodwise, its always excessive! People bring their favourites. Of course there are puddings... far too many puddings. A real challenge for me. Ok, did indulge, but not to excess. Small portion of panna cotta, sliver of cheesecake. Then onto the actual cheeses. Too much alcohol though.
Am likely to have real trouble resisting the home made fudge, we brought home though.

Reactions: Freema