Got my singing voice back; why?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
About 10 years ago I began to lose my singing voice, very likely due to acid reflux. There were erosions, etc. I treat with OTC omeprazole.
Well! This Dec 24 I was suddenly able to sing correct pitch reliably in much of my previous range!!! I was beyond delighted! And still could yesterday!
So, is this less reflux because I’ve left “overweight” behind so quickly? (I can’t feel when I have it...) Is it less inflammation due to almost zero added sugar? My arthritis is still as predictable as ever.
Has anybody else had any kind of less-inflammation effect? I think this is fascinating.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The short answer is yes, I have seen an improvement in my pain levels whilst on LCHF. This has not been an overnight thing, it has been very gradual and very welcome. I believe @Rachox has seen such an improvement with her arthritis too.

Carbs seem to be inflammatory for me so LCHF has had more benefits than just bg control.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @zauberflote ,

Wow. Good encouraging news.. :)

I'm a singer myself. What I do find is high BGs can cause breathlessness (to a degree.) & lack of diaphram support?
So I keep my levels at an "optimum" safe range when performing.
I also fast from midday prior to an evening gig. I also find t hard to rock out on a full stomach.

Keep singing & winning! :cool:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Guzzler since it’s only been a few months of LC moderatelyHF, I can hope for more
and @Jaylee wow. Actually I only sing for fun and in church congregation. Except for years (not-able-to-sing years) I just tear up on Silent Night, you know? This year I NAILED THE DESCANT!!!!. I’m a professional flute player, retired from my orchestra, and my lungs are more influenced by my chronic asthma, which inhaler is running low, and the dosage of a cardiac med I take, than by bg so far as I know. I am the opposite of you- I absolutely cannot play on an empty stomach! there’s nothing there to support the sound with You may be a more aerobic singer than I am player. One sits very still, or stands with minor movement. None of this dance frenziedly while belting thing...Ethel Merman I ain’t!

Awwww @Antje77 it made me ridiculously happy too!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have appreciated the anti inflammatory effect of low carb in a couple ways, one is that my asthma has improved but as @Guzzler says I have found my arthritis has improved too, my feet and hips especially as I have lost a shed load of weight low carbing but also my non weight bearing joints are better than they were too :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fold club only meets during the winter, and I have had a lot of comments about my voice recently, all complimentary.
A song I had to adapt slightly last year as I could not hit the high notes has been no problem this - so I think that diabetes definitely has an effect, and it can be reversed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Guzzler since it’s only been a few months of LC moderatelyHF, I can hope for more
and @Jaylee wow. Actually I only sing for fun and in church congregation. Except for years (not-able-to-sing years) I just tear up on Silent Night, you know? This year I NAILED THE DESCANT!!!!. I’m a professional flute player, retired from my orchestra, and my lungs are more influenced by my chronic asthma, which inhaler is running low, and the dosage of a cardiac med I take, than by bg so far as I know. I am the opposite of you- I absolutely cannot play on an empty stomach! there’s nothing there to support the sound with You may be a more aerobic singer than I am player. One sits very still, or stands with minor movement. None of this dance frenziedly while belting thing...Ethel Merman I ain’t!

Awwww @Antje77 it made me ridiculously happy too!!!

Lol, my mum was influenced the Ethel Merman "school" of variety & encouraged me to belt em out..
Being a different generation. I tailored it to Rock & Metal. But there is a little classical training & influence. My T2 dad was into & sung opera. ;)

Whatever your influence. If you've found your voice, keep excersising it...:cool:

Reactions: zauberflote

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on getting your singing voice back. Could you find one for me, apparently I can sing good harmonies according to my OH.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About 10 years ago I began to lose my singing voice, very likely due to acid reflux. There were erosions, etc. I treat with OTC omeprazole.
Well! This Dec 24 I was suddenly able to sing correct pitch reliably in much of my previous range!!! I was beyond delighted! And still could yesterday!
So, is this less reflux because I’ve left “overweight” behind so quickly? (I can’t feel when I have it...) Is it less inflammation due to almost zero added sugar? My arthritis is still as predictable as ever.
Has anybody else had any kind of less-inflammation effect? I think this is fascinating.
Loads of anecdotal things about various conditions being helped immensely by low carb and ketogenic eating. It really does seem almost magic sometimes..
This is from another forum I am a member of that celebrates such things..

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/join-this-thread-conditions-keto-can-heal-or-cure/30214

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found the same as several of you. Singing voice definitely stronger and clearer, comments are made on Sundays when I sing along with the organ playing, clarinet playing also stronger and clearer, acid reflux well and truly a thing of the past.

Can't say it's helped me to be able to sing descants though. For that I need to be in a large crowd of descant singers - and in my current church, I'm definitely on my own. I'm an alto really who reluctantly sings soprano when needed.

I've been eating higher levels of carb since I went onto insulin which has confirmed my joints definitely prefer lower carbs! Either that or they prefer me a stone lighter than I am now. Definitely, they are generally rejoicing and clearly prefer me 8 stone lighter than I was three years ago. This year's challenge will be to adjust both carbs and weight downwards again - getting used to insulin was far more important last year.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant! To regain something that you had lost and you treasured is great! I hope you enjoy your singing for many years to come!

I was on the dreaded Omeprazole for years and it only really kept my reflux somewhat under control, I had to restrict certain foods. I remember champagne and strawberries crippled me! But it disappeared, as if by magic, when I went LCHF - and it disappeared before I had any significant weight loss. Having read recent reports of the downside of long term Omeprazole, I am very glad of this benefit. I’m also happy to no longer require BP meds, and my arthritis pain has totally disappeared! My knees, strangely, still ‘creak’ as much as they did, but no pain, at all, ever! It’s wonderful! It’s why I can’t help being somewhat evangelistic!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well! This Dec 24 I was suddenly able to sing correct pitch reliably in much of my previous range!!! I was beyond delighted!
emoji445.png
emoji445.png
And still could yesterday!
I'm the same when my thyroid is performing well. If my thyroid isn't compensated correctly with levothyroxine I'm husky and deep voiced, I understand with my pcos I produce too much testosterone too. So when my hormones are behaving themselves I can sing very well, I'm told.
I've lately discovered high prolactin levels produced by my naughty body but I feel more nerve related and oestrogen influenced than male hormone evoking.
Hormones!
They can cause havoc.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ickihun wow what a smorgasbord of stuff there! I’m way past some of the hormone issues, but back in the days of trying to make babies I had to take a drug called Dannazol/ danocrine. At the time it was $1.00 a pill, which was scary. Look how far we’ve come! Anyway, the side effects of this androgen could increase hair on chest (didn’t happen), and increase muscle mass (did happen!!!!). It’s the only time I’ve ever been able to do chin-ups. I was so tickled! Deepened voice was another, but didn’t happen.
Here’s to hormones regulating themselves nicely and behaving well!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ickihun wow what a smorgasbord of stuff there! I’m way past some of the hormone issues, but back in the days of trying to make babies I had to take a drug called Dannazol/ danocrine. At the time it was $1.00 a pill, which was scary. Look how far we’ve come! Anyway, the side effects of this androgen could increase hair on chest (didn’t happen), and increase muscle mass (did happen!!!!). It’s the only time I’ve ever been able to do chin-ups. I was so tickled! Deepened voice was another, but didn’t happen.
Here’s to hormones regulating themselves nicely and behaving well!
ETA @bulkbiker I read some of that link you posted, the keto forum thread. That is amazing and flabbergasting! I’m so happy for every one of those folks and others like them :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun