Which diabetic events should I add to my calendar?

ElloBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy new year all!!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any specific diabetic events taking place across the year that would be worth adding to my planner. I’m a student, so I’m thinking anything like conferences or talks etc. Or even other things targeted at diabetics.

I know there’s one in March from Diabetes UK but other than that, my google search didn’t return much. So I thought that you guys on here would probably have much more of an insight!

Type 2 diabetes is more relavent for myself, but anything on diabetes more broadly would also be interesting!

I’m not diabetic myself, but a family member is, therefore as I’ve said in previous posts, I’m trying to educate myself further.

I’m also based in West Midlands but willing to travel :)

Thank you so much!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You'd learn a lot more here ... a LOT more. The complexities of the condition and the knowledge are second to none

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy new year all!!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any specific diabetic events taking place across the year that would be worth adding to my planner. I’m a student, so I’m thinking anything like conferences or talks etc. Or even other things targeted at diabetics.

I know there’s one in March from Diabetes UK but other than that, my google search didn’t return much. So I thought that you guys on here would probably have much more of an insight!

Type 2 diabetes is more relavent for myself, but anything on diabetes more broadly would also be interesting!

I’m not diabetic myself, but a family member is, therefore as I’ve said in previous posts, I’m trying to educate myself further.

Thank you so much!

Hi,

For starters, this forum is based pretty much in the West Midlands...

I'll tag in @Rachox . She's been involved in stuff.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

For starters, this forum is based pretty much in the West Midlands...

I'll tag in @Rachox . She's been involved in stuff.
Thanks for the tag @Jaylee .
I attended a Type 2 meet up in Birmingham last September spearheaded by @Debandez and the DCUK PR dept. We hope this will become an annual event. I have made some firm friends through that, it was so good to be among like minded people as I don’t know any people local to me with type 2.
I helped with publicising the Low Carb program by having an article in the local press and a national magazine plus I did an interview on my local BBC Radio.
There’s also National Diabetes Awareness month every November.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You could keep an eye on Twitter for the various conferences that come up.

Reactions: Rachox

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy new year all!!

Thank you so much!

Thanks for the tag @Rachox

I did indeed organise a meeting in Birmingham last September. It was arranged quite quickly within about 5 weeks working around a date the DCUK PR team gave us.The date was perfect for them to get their videographer/camera man and team members there. Charlotte Summers, the chief operating officer from DCUK, was able to attend on this date and gave a wonderful intro to what was a brilliant meeting. Everyone got something from it. So much so we said it would be a great idea to make it an annual event. So another is definitely on the cards. Coventry was mentioned but nothing set in stone. And late summer a probability.

If you check with your local surgery you may find there is a diabetic meeting in your area. There is one in mine and that's held once a month.

I think there will be more starting up too. Lots of emphasis on diabetes and obesity in the media and finding ways to tackle the epidemic.

I'm going to give a talk at my local diabetic meeting on my personal journey, I put my diabetes into remission within 6 months. I'm also going to be working with the council on doing something in the community. There are lots if proactive people out there wanting to help. Lots on this forum.

There is a ton of info on diet doctor and libbys ditch the carbs websites. There are so many helpful videos on you tube. Was it something specific you were looking for? Or just general info?

D

Deleted member 308541

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any specific diabetic events taking place across the year that would be worth adding to my planner.
Keep an eye open for any functions / seminars around the time of Frederick Banting's birthday on 14 November 1891.

ElloBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You'd learn a lot more here ... a LOT more. The complexities of the condition and the knowledge are second to none

Ha this is very true! Exactly why I much prefer asking people on here for answers to my diabetic questions! I always massively appreciate how much you guys reach out. Maybe we should start our own events and or conferences! It'd be much more valuable than the text book stuff.

ElloBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Jaylee .
I attended a Type 2 meet up in Birmingham last September spearheaded by @Debandez and the DCUK PR dept. We hope this will become an annual event. I have made some firm friends through that, it was so good to be among like minded people as I don’t know any people local to me with type 2.
I helped with publicising the Low Carb program by having an article in the local press and a national magazine plus I did an interview on my local BBC Radio.
There’s also National Diabetes Awareness month every November.

Ooh this is great, thank you so much! I'll defo keep my eye out for those events. Great to see that you're getting the airtime promoting the programmes to help people!

ElloBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Rachox

I did indeed organise a meeting in Birmingham last September. It was arranged quite quickly within about 5 weeks working around a date the DCUK PR team gave us.The date was perfect for them to get their videographer/camera man and team members there. Charlotte Summers, the chief operating officer from DCUK, was able to attend on this date and gave a wonderful intro to what was a brilliant meeting. Everyone got something from it. So much so we said it would be a great idea to make it an annual event. So another is definitely on the cards. Coventry was mentioned but nothing set in stone. And late summer a probability.

If you check with your local surgery you may find there is a diabetic meeting in your area. There is one in mine and that's held once a month.

I think there will be more starting up too. Lots of emphasis on diabetes and obesity in the media and finding ways to tackle the epidemic.

I'm going to give a talk at my local diabetic meeting on my personal journey, I put my diabetes into remission within 6 months. I'm also going to be working with the council on doing something in the community. There are lots if proactive people out there wanting to help. Lots on this forum.

There is a ton of info on diet doctor and libbys ditch the carbs websites. There are so many helpful videos on you tube. Was it something specific you were looking for? Or just general info?

Oh this is great, thanks so much!

I'll definitely keep my eye out for the one in September then, sounds like the one last year was a success!

It was just general info really - I don't think you can ever stop learning with this disease so I want to get involved as much as possible! Thanks so much, again!

Reactions: Debandez

ElloBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep an eye open for any functions / seminars around the time of Frederick Banting's birthday on 14 November 1891.

Very true, thank you! I'll mark a reminder in my phone!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh this is great, thanks so much!

I'll definitely keep my eye out for the one in September then, sounds like the one last year was a success!

It was just general info really - I don't think you can ever stop learning with this disease so I want to get involved as much as possible! Thanks so much, again!
I still learn something every day!

Owenduc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
And how do you create reminders for yourself about these events? I constantly forget about the conferences I have to attend.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And how do you create reminders for yourself about these events? I constantly forget about the conferences I have to attend.
I use Google Calendar app for all of my future reminders of upcoming appointements etc. Easy to set up, so new ones can be added so they reoccur daily / weekly / monthly / yearly.

It's free as well.

Alaydent

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Most events are held online; a Google search usually gives all the necessary information