UK importing meat from the USA

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am slightly concerned about the possibility of trade deals with the US bringing in bleached chicken and meat from cattle treated with hormones to promote growth.
It might never happen, of course, but the local butcher has closed because the shop had not make a profit for some years. Eating quality meats from local farms made sense to me, but not to many others in the area.
I have been considering keeping quail, and rabbits - both quiet inoffensive types of animal if there was to be a relaxation of the regulations on animal husbandry. Pigeons would be another possibility.

I have limited space, and live in a built up area.

Are there any other possibilities?

I believe guinea pigs are edible.

Reactions: dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The only other option for non bleached chicken would be to go organic (?). There is also the task of killing the meat and butchering it safely, skills that you would need to learn.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a national problem with home grown meat? Not in my area. The butchers are still thriving and the supermarkets are full of British meat. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We lived with my grandparents during my early years, I can pluck and prepare birds up to the size of geese, skin rabbits (I used to get sixpence each and could keep the skins for tanning) also prepare fish, dress crabs - so there would be no problem with the processing.

Reactions: Guzzler

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a national problem with home grown meat? Not in my area. The butchers are still thriving and the supermarkets are full of British meat. I wouldn't buy anything else.
Post Brexit, who knows what might be on the shelves?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think the problem could stem from the fact that bleached chicken has a longer shelf life so in theory would undercut the price of non bleached meat. Many people will vote with their purses. Bleached chicken does not appeal to me either so will be sourcing my meat even more carefully after Brexit.

D

Deleted member 308541

Just watch out for imported tinned corned beef just in case there is another outbreak of typhoid like in the 1960's.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am lucky in that I get my beef and lamb from the farm where we holiday in the lake District.

Post Brexit I will be checking the origin of other meats very carefully.

Reactions: dbr10 and Goonergal

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am rather more concerned with halal meat in supermarkets. I buy from our excellent local butchers who always have a good selection from local farms, and who are also thriving as they are in @Bluetit1802's neck of the woods.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am rather more concerned with halal meat in supermarkets.
Why are you concerned, Muslim people have to buy meat from somewhere if there are no dedicated halal shop in the area.

The same goes for people of the Jewish faith they have to get Kosher meat from somewhere else if no kosher shops are available, but no one complains about that.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As a general rule, where and when available buy fresh and buy local when and if you can afford it.
I no longer buy pre frozen meat (at first because of the water content, later because of the quality). I keep an eye out for the Tractor label and e.g prefer Welsh or Scottish lamb to that bussed in from New Zealand (Sorry NZ but it's just a matter of mileage).

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You could just buy meat from an EU country such as Irish Republic

D

Deleted member 308541

Only if it is imported - otherwise it would be rather a long trip to the shops.
My last job in the UK in 1970 was for a cheapo butcher shop in Horley's main street. They sold Irish beef there which was not to bad.

It has changed hands probably a few times since the last I was in Horley in 1982 getting a car from a rent a wreck place there. It's called James now, a bit up market from Hedley Vicars.

Google Earth coordinates 51°10'20.82"N 0° 9'45.08"W

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Post Brexit, who knows what might be on the shelves?
Lower food standards in the US. Higher percentage of deaths from food poisoning. Chlorinated chicken and hormones, yummy. Seriously, we don't need this ****** lunacy.

Post edited for language

Last edited by a moderator:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the problem could stem from the fact that bleached chicken has a longer shelf life so in theory would undercut the price of non bleached meat. Many people will vote with their purses. Bleached chicken does not appeal to me either so will be sourcing my meat even more carefully after Brexit.
Will it be clearly identified. The cheap rubbish will undermine the market for quality products. Patterson and Davis in US recently for talks on undermining our food standards

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are you concerned, Muslim people have to buy meat from somewhere if there are no dedicated halal shop in the area.

The same goes for people of the Jewish faith they have to get Kosher meat from somewhere else if no kosher shops are available, but no one complains about that.
I think @Sue192 is concerned about animal welfare. For that reason I won't buy halal meat either.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I am slightly concerned about the possibility of trade deals with the US bringing in bleached chicken and meat from cattle treated with hormones to promote growth.
It might never happen, of course, but the local butcher has closed because the shop had not make a profit for some years. Eating quality meats from local farms made sense to me, but not to many others in the area.
I have been considering keeping quail, and rabbits - both quiet inoffensive types of animal if there was to be a relaxation of the regulations on animal husbandry. Pigeons would be another possibility.

I have limited space, and live in a built up area.

Are there any other possibilities?

I believe guinea pigs are edible.

If it ever arrives, do not buy it! you have a choice, project fear again

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cheap rubbish will undermine the market for quality products
I think we can be pretty sure that won't be the case.. have you seen all the overpriced "organic" veg in the supermarkets these days? Never seems to have a problem selling..