Feeling guilty and I’ve let myself down..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I often think of guilt as if one is wearing a heavy overcoat in the height of summer. It serves no useful purpose. We have all been where you are because we have have had a lifetime of having a 'normal' diet so it can take a while to adjust. Be kind to yourself, forgive yourself and move on. These slips will become far and few between until you just do not have them any more... well, until Christmas comes around again :)

Reactions: Patrick66

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
So Chinese? Cripsy duck might have been a better option just ditch the pancakes and sauce?
Yep.

I’m not a duck person. Not part of my narrow diet. I suppose it could have been worse...perhaps..maybe..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I los
I often think of guilt as if one is wearing a heavy overcoat in the height of summer. It serves no useful purpose. We have all been where you are because we have have had a lifetime of having a 'normal' diet so it can take a while to adjust. Be kind to yourself, forgive yourself and move on. These slips will become far and few between until you just do not have them any more... well, until Christmas comes around again :)

I lost 6lb over Xmas. I tried very hard to be good. Or perhaps my stomach is shrinking.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I los

I lost 6lb over Xmas. I tried very hard to be good. Or perhaps my stomach is shrinking.

Oh, well done! Our bodys often react to a healthier diet far faster than our minds do. Keep up the great work!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe have a few go to take always planned in advance for such occasions. Do you like donner kebabs for example? You could have the meat and salad with mayo, just leave the pitta bread?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Maybe have a few go to take always planned in advance for such occasions. Do you like donner kebabs for example? You could have the meat and salad with mayo, just leave the pitta bread?
I’m not a fan of kebabs. Too much dodgy meat around ...especially in my town.

I usually plump for chicken of some variety and now Pizza is no longer an option or chips, I’m a bit limited.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not a fan of kebabs. Too much dodgy meat around ...especially in my town.

I usually plump for chicken of some variety and now Pizza is no longer an option or chips, I’m a bit limited.
Have you tested for chips - I can get away with between 6 and 10 depending on their size.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven’t tested, no.

They’re a food I really fancy and then usually decide I don’t really want. Which is good in a way.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do youl ke Indian t/a? My family are big fans and we have an excellent place that we use. I find Chicken Tikka (dry spiced chicken chunks) and cauliflower bhajee dont spike me. Stay away from everything in sauce though and no bread or rice. Just a thought.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one ever said you can't have a treat as long as it is just occasionally seems we all do so nothing to feel guilty about just enjoy it.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do youl ke Indian t/a? My family are big fans and we have an excellent place that we use. I find Chicken Tikka (dry spiced chicken chunks) and cauliflower bhajee dont spike me. Stay away from everything in sauce though and no bread or rice. Just a thought.

Actually I don’t, although strangely enough, I’ve travelled widely in India. I don’t cope with spicy food very well as it interferes with my hiatus hernia nd gives me severe heartburn.

But thank you for the suggestion, it was very kind of you.

BloodThirsty

Thank you.

Being Autistic gives me @ different perspective. I feel guilty about something 90% of the time.
Forgive me if I sound patronising, but people on the autistic spectrum usually exhibit amazing attention to detail and therefore make great computer programmers, mathematicians, engineers, etc. and of course tax advisors.

My autistic grandson is a case in point and before uni he regularly scored 100% in computer science tests. His teachers were proverbially pee'd off when he left as he was the school's computer guru and could fix most of their kit. He is now studying this as an undergrad but will still get phased if his routine is changed in any way.

In many ways this borders on obsessiveness, which enables him to focus and achieve while others are busy thinking about less mundane things.

In your own case this focus can really help if you decide to adopt a low Carb/keto diet or devise your own health regimen to combat T2D.

Good luck!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Forgive me if I sound patronising, but people on the autistic spectrum usually exhibit amazing attention to detail and therefore make great computer programmers, mathematicians, engineers, etc. and of course tax advisors.

My autistic grandson is a case in point and before uni he regularly scored 100% in computer science tests. His teachers were proverbially pee'd off when he left as he was the school's computer guru and could fix most of their kit. He is now studying this as an undergrad but will still get phased if his routine is changed in any way.

In many ways this borders on obsessiveness, which enables him to focus and achieve while others are busy thinking about less mundane things.

In your own case this focus can really help if you decide to adopt a low Carb/keto diet or devise your own health regimen to combat T2D.

Good luck!
Thank you.

Alas I do not have any talents which Autistic folks are supposed to possess. I know several amazing individuals but presume I must have mislaid my talent on a bus somewhere because I’m hopeless at mathematics and IT and anything technical or creative.

I think it’s safe to say that the talent “thing” is a bit of a myth as most of us just bumble along, struggling with everyday tasks and social interaction. The stress the latter causes is, of course, not helpful to blood sugar levels.

But they say the proof is in the pudding (which I can’t eat) so we will just have to see if I can focus on this low carb diet.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

You don't have to stay away from all the sauces do you? My husbands family run an Indian restaurant and takeaway. As far as I know from enquiring and annoying the chefs some sauces are fine. You can ask what's in them.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you.

Being Autistic gives me @ different perspective. I feel guilty about something 90% of the time.

I'm not sure that's necessarily to do with being autistic (though I understand that gives you a different perspective on things.) I feel guilty about something 90% of the time too, and I'm not autistic.

I fell of the low-carb wagon for a whole 18 months and have suffered the consequences. For the first 16 months I was 'going to take myself in hand' and so didn't seek help. Eventually I realised I needed help. So now I am moving back towards the low-carb wagon, and have medical team on board, because an HbA1C of 88 needs a bit more help than upping the dose of metformin.

Do I feel guilty? Well, maybe a bit.... but mostly I feel a bit daft for having let it go on so long, and pleased that I am now getting a grip again. Not quite back to low carb yet, but have stopped the incessant eating (a very good first step) and resumed regular exercise. From here, things can get better.