Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok who's missing in action?????

I know @Alison54321 is around but I guess Twatter is keeping her entertained with government stuff. :rolleyes::hilarious:

But where is @kev-w ?

It's that time of year where it's acceptable to eat wall paper paste porridge and I miss the "The Porridge Sagas" :hilarious:

I'm sure there are others missingo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
I think it was @Mel dCP who said @kev-w was on FB, but he's not been on here since before Christmas. I agree, the porridge sagas need to continue....

Reactions: Knikki and porl69

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I know @Alison54321 is around but I guess Twatter is keeping her entertained with government stuff. :rolleyes::hilarious:

But where is @kev-w ?

It's that time of year where it's acceptable to eat wall paper paste porridge and I miss the "The Porridge Sagas" :hilarious:

I'm sure there are others missingo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Yes, I'm around, twitter is keeping me busy, but my blood sugars are quite boring at the moment, so I haven't really got anything very interesting to say. Good morning everyone.

Reactions: Japes and hh1

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I love jacket potatoes

I've found that too. Chips and boiled potatoes can be wildly unpredictable for me, but baked potatoes with some prawns and egg mayo or maybe coleslaw can give me happily steady bg for the rest of the day.

The same happens with packets of those Uncle Ben's Mexican spiced wholegrain rice with some mackerel on top and a side of steamed veg. Steady, steady, steady whereas white rice is crazy.

Maybe it's the fibre, maybe it's the cooking, cooling, reheating, whatever it is, I'm a fan of anything which levels me out.

They just seem to match the time pattern of novorapid.

The low carbers can be very strident in saying potatoes, rice, no, no, no, without appreciating there are some subtleties involved.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny old world this T1D. o_O

So I have eaten the same breakfast yesterday and today roughly anyway, same content if not the same amount, plus same amount of insulin injected both days. :writer:

Yesterday around the same time yesterday sat around the 4 mark according to Etch A Sketch. Today the alarms are all going off as I'm now sat here around high 2's low 3's. :rolleyes:

Ho hum, it's not a problem as I'm doing nothing at the moment, just a couple of jelly baby's should sort it. :cat:
Tell me about it

Reactions: hh1

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all....just
Woken at 5 this morning needing to pee, in
Jumped back into bed and the duvet decided that I didn't need my MM and Libre....fair play to the duvet it tore them off real quick

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I suspect Kev has just got tired of the intensely low carb ethos of the forum.

Apart from the relative sanity of this thread, every other thread seems to involve variations on the themes of the current anti-vegan hate-fest, David Icke level conspiracy theories about how big pharma, dsns, government etc etc are trying to kill us all via the Eatwell plate, throwing ad hominem remarks at any doctor who publishes in good faith any research suggesting carbs in moderation are quite good, and how Bernstein is apparently admirable for telling everyone to eat no fruit ever again except avocado.

It's practically impossible to give suggestions to a newly dx'd T1 without a T2 with f*** all experience sticking their oar in saying they should immediately stop eating pasta, rice, bread because "all carbs turn to glucose". Of course they f***ing do, and I'm darned glad of it, seeing as glucose is my primary energy source. Oh no, but, but, it seems if I go down that route, I'll apparently develop "double diabetes". They've read about it in a paper.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day over, I am being called away to a nearby restaurant by a gloriously 80 carb full Scottish breakfast...

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C Hope the full Scottish went down a treat. Love the rant!
The truth of the matter is that although both type 1 and 2 have problems with processing carbohydrates they are essentially very different in their management. For me the biggest irritant is the lack of understanding of how type 1s have their levels affected by far more than just carbohydrates. Believe me if I could eradicate all my issues by eating no carbs I would be inclined to do so. Oh were it that simple! The truth is we would still have to inject for all that protein. And let’s not even go into the getting basal levels correct.
I think for type 1 management the best thing has been the arrival of the CGM, (oh that all had equal access to it) the level of information to assist with management on a day to day basis is revolutionary. Also, being able to see the rises and falls in levels mean you are able to inject/eat before things get out of hand. That must only be a good thing.
We all need to live side by side and can hopefully be supportive in different ways. But a little less stridency would be beneficial from those that can do this by diet alone.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect Kev has just got tired of the intensely low carb ethos of the forum.

Apart from the relative sanity of this thread, every other thread seems to involve variations on the themes of the current anti-vegan hate-fest, David Icke level conspiracy theories about how big pharma, dsns, government etc etc are trying to kill us all via the Eatwell plate, throwing ad hominem remarks at any doctor who publishes in good faith any research suggesting carbs in moderation are quite good, and how Bernstein is apparently admirable for telling everyone to eat no fruit ever again except avocado.

It's practically impossible to give suggestions to a newly dx'd T1 without a T2 with f*** all experience sticking their oar in saying they should immediately stop eating pasta, rice, bread because "all carbs turn to glucose". Of course they f***ing do, and I'm darned glad of it, seeing as glucose is my primary energy source. Oh no, but, but, it seems if I go down that route, I'll apparently develop "double diabetes". They've read about it in a paper.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day over, I am being called away to a nearby restaurant by a gloriously 80 carb full Scottish breakfast...
Well said scott

Reactions: hh1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki . Brunch??????? *** is brunch.
Oh I think I know. Brunch is a mid day snack that costs twice as much????
@Scott-C . Yet again you’ve managed to hit the nail on the head. Enjoy your full Scottish breakfast. I certainly enjoyed my full English this morning. BS prior to eating 4.1. 2 hrs later ( not a minute more, not a minute less ) 7.0. On this thread I think that’s generally a win. In other parts of the forum it would be an ongoing investigation with numerous suggestions.

Reactions: porl69

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lol, @Knikki and @becca59, it was nom nom nom!

Here's the little fella here - and, yes, that is a slice of haggis tucked behind the black pudding, wouldn't be a Scottish breakfast without it..

20190112_130341_Burst01(1).jpg

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The truth of the matter is that although both type 1 and 2 have problems with processing carbohydrates they are essentially very different in their management

Partha Kar, who is very high up in the NHS diabetes heirarchy says exactly that in a pinned tweet at the top of his feed.

But that simple truth is very often lost sight of on this forum.

Screenshot_2019-01-12-14-59-55.png

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to add to my lunchtime post from yesterday the other very important fact. Rice.

One of the current lunch options every 4th Friday in my workplace is "Vegetable Biryani Omelette". I'd got taken by surprise by this last time it was on the menu, as I'd got my usual two scoops of chips with what I thought was plain omelette and hadn't allowed for the rice. I'd also not eaten any rice since I'd gone onto insulin, so wasn't even prepared with a guess... Think I'd last eaten rice just before my initial T2 diagnosis nearly 4 years ago, and not bothered with it since. I'd never been a great rice eater, mostly because I was never good at cooking it! But, I had intended testing it again before now.

This time, I'd worked it out all ready in advance, had a few chips, just because Friday is always chips day at work, allowed for the walk home, and was spot on at evening meal time.

I really am enjoying so much more food variety now.

Reactions: porl69
K

Knikki

@therower YES brunch..........there I am trying to bring some highfluity and decorum to the forum and you get your knickers in a twist :angelic:;):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

And as for @Scott-C picture I am deeply offended as I spy some low if not zero carb items on there :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

@helensaramay yep agree with you in the exercise front and another well said little rant :)

Hmm I'm running around the high 2s again, not intentionally, just miss judged a spike earlier ~sigh~ however all is still well :cool:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got back from my own exercise (swimming) and have caught up with this thread - have laughed out loud, applauded, agreed, envied your lunch/brunch/breakfast/plateful @Scott-C, now off for a walk with the dog. Happy Saturday!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been contemplating suggesting an alternative to daisy1’s introduction message to highlight the difference between the types.

I vaguely recall someone had suggested different versions for the various types but nothing seemed to come of it.

I recall a recent thread where a poster told the new recruit he'd tagged daisy for her, I quote, "excellent guide to low carbing" which pretty much sums up the forum approach.

Don't get me wrong, LCHF is a perfectly viable choice for T2 and in some instances T1, but what riles me is the way it is far too often presented as the only option for T1, as if any other option was a stupid one.

The language used is quite insulting at times. If I choose to pop into an Italian cafe near my house for some olives and a 50g panini, many of the extremists would say I'm gorging, or binging, or carb-addicted, or a sugar-slave or the worst, "carb-grazing", as if I'm some docile, passive sheep who has been led astray by an evil food industry, instead of a grown adult who is capable of making rational choices. It's only a frickin panini!

The saddest thing is when we see posts from recently dx'd T1s who feel they have failed or fallen off the wagon if they eat what most of us view as a perfectly normal manageable meal.