Type 1'stars R Us

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki What something like this? Noskia_1610.jpg
(talking of old tech that we have had!) :hilarious:

I have an iphone 6s which is a non-goer as far as scanning goes. But cheers.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I noticed that, too! Cheeky beggars, ripping me off, I thought!

Lucky I have a lot fewer hypos nowadays...
Yep, thats the new mantra, less is more. Yeah, right ???
Low calorie soft drinks are often more expensive, but then that maybe either because artificial sweetener is deemed more expensive than sugar (tell that to parents who have to pay their children's dental bills here in Oz) or less sales volume.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Wilkinsons ?
Oops! Slip of the tongue. No double pun intended either. Do you feel brave enough to perform a census on these individuals and assess their capability for the task or leave it to the NHS !!

Reactions: Cumberland

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Happy Friday all - glad it's the end of a very long week here...:)

Replacement pump has arrived, now set up and ticking along. Strange one though yesterday i had a letter cancelling my annual consultation review, no explanation, has this happened to anyone else ?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just a crazy thought...
Is this your second class? Maybe the stress of anticipation of the "unknown" last week caused a spike?
I know when I do venues I'm familiar with (gig wise.) I'm more level.. But the stress of finding the place & setting up show in a new booking... ;) Though the routine is always the same prior to a gig.
It was my second class, but I’ve done yoga on and off (mostly off) for years, so it wasn’t an unknown. And the instructor is one of my closest friends, so I was completely comfortable. My Fitbit(ch) says I burned a lot more calories last week than this week too. It’ll be interesting to see what next week brings! Could have been due to having
@Knikki What something like this? View attachment 30589
(talking of old tech that we have had!) :hilarious:

I have an iphone 6s which is a non-goer as far as scanning goes. But cheers.
The iPhone 6 won’t scan, and even if it did, it would just give the same results as the scanner as the official app uses the same algorithm. However, with a MiaoMiao or Bluecon transmitter, you can use Spike, and that works fine on an iPhone 6 - been using that setup myself for quite a while. I have upgraded to an 8 now, but the 6 worked fine.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Also, afternoon, holey ones!

Couple of hypos early morning, so I thing this flippin’ exercise lark has made me more insulin sensitive. I’ve got three basal programs in regular use - “Shark week”, “Lazy Ar5e” and “Busy Bu88er”in descending order of TDD. I should be on the shark week one at the moment, but am having to use LA to avoid hypos. Was considering going swimming later, but am a bit worried about going hypo as I’m not entirely sure where I am just now. This new activity of mine (like @helensaramay ) isn’t a new year resolution, as I started on 30th December ;) I want and need to get stronger, the two years of doing very little because of the dislocated knee I had in 2016 (descending Snowdon) and the two frozen shoulders I’ve just got rid of have left me pretty feeble.

As for the Eversense sensor, I can’t imagine the insertion process is any different to the contraceptive rod you can have put in your arm. That’s done by a nurse. Quick shot of local, cut a little hole, and shove it in.

Reactions: Cumberland and hh1

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You really should google "body modification." The results are extreme, but the artists that do it are probably the most qualified to bury the sensor.

There's a video showing it being inserted. Not for the squeamish, especially the bit at around 8 mins where he gets busy with an apple-corer. It's like Hannibal Lecter has developed an interest in cgm....

And remember it's got to be removed too...

There's been a couple of threads about it a while back, tim2000s found out that it was ridiculously expensive, can't recall exactly, something like £400 per month.

Plus there was only one clinic in the UK set up to do it, so it would mean regular trips tp London.

I was kinda interested in it if I was planning on doing some lengthy backpacking, but, erm, not at that price...

Reactions: Cumberland and hh1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a video showing it being inserted. Not for the squeamish, especially the bit at around 8 mins where he gets busy with an apple-corer. It's like Hannibal Lecter has developed an interest in cgm....

There's been a couple of threads about it a while back, tim2000s found out that it was ridiculously expensive, can't recall exactly, something like £400 per month.

Plus there was only one clinic in the UK set up to do it, so it would mean regular trips tp London.

I was kinda interested in it if I was planning on doing some lengthy backpacking, but, erm, not at that price...

Thanks @Scott-C

It literally does remind me of the body mod procedures documentary I saw back in the mid 1990s?.
Think metal implants giving the apearence of a "Ork" or Klingon?

Only difference was the "surgeon" was an Emo... With a skateboard & a Peavey 5150 casually thrown in the corner of the room.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just watched the video, was that from the 80's????????????

I thought it was a slasher movie when the scalpel scene came on, how many attempts did he have?! The apple corer LOL surely they could design a 1 'pop' or 'click' delivery system?!?!? And he let the blood run onto the patients clothing.

trying to squeeze exactly the right amount of blood out of my finger

YES!

Reactions: Cumberland

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Friday greeting one and all.

I was just wondering if I am the only one who sets myself pointless diabetes challenges.
I don't mean the tedious challenges of keeping my BG in range or weighing and calculating all my carbs every time.
I mean things like
- trying to fill my pump cartridge as high as possible without any air bubbles. Given a "full cartridge" should contain 205 units, I am disappointed not to be able to get it above 194 units
- trying to squeeze exactly the right amount of blood out of my finger. Too much and I am left with a blob to wipe/suck. Too little and my meter says "E-3". I know I can adjust the depth of the prick but the depth varies so much depending on how hot (or cold) my hands are and how much exercise I have been doing.
- trying to guess whether @porl69 or @Knikki will be the first to come up with a facetious response or whether someone else will beat them to it

Or am I the only one and should find some new entertainment?

I laughed way too much at that (just after I googled "facetious") :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

No no and thrice no!!!! I will limit myself to the Libre insertion and soon to be canula insertions. I shuddered way too much thru that video :bag::bag::bag: