Diabetes Distress article and measuring scales

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/t/what-is-diabetes-distress/75183

PS I have now completed the form to get a Diabetes Distress Score. This is free of charge.There is a suggestion in the preceding sections that you have to pay for it, but this is not the case. Your score is not saved after you leave the site, but you can print it off and it is suggested that if you get a high score you try it again in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
After doing the test does the piece offer advice or guidance on how to cope with DD? I did not do the test as I do not feel that I need yet another number to focus on and frankly I have no need of a scale that informs me that I am worried/stressed/depressed about aspects of my condition - I am aware of these feelings anyway.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After doing the test does the piece offer advice or guidance on how to cope with DD? I did not do the test as I do not feel that I need yet another number to focus on and frankly I have no need of a scale that informs me that I am worried/stressed/depressed about aspects of my condition - I am aware of these feelings anyway.
It offers brief guidance. Perhaps it would be most valuable for someone who was in denial as to how distressed they were. Or, in the case of repeat tests, the feedback might be good for someone who had resolved to take action to reduce their distress. I just love doing this kind of thing, it cheers me up.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It offers brief guidance. Perhaps it would be most valuable for someone who was in denial as to how distressed they were. Or, in the case of repeat tests, the feedback might be good for someone who had resolved to take action to reduce their distress. I just love doing this kind of thing, it cheers me up.

No doubt it might be useful to some people. Not me, if just one more person tells me that Mindfulness would bring serentity I shall scream. I'm not sure that someone in true denial would be searching out such info and as for stress, arn't we hard wired for that? I have found that talking with people who totally get what it is like to get the news, provide information and support if things wobble and who are genuinely pleased when things go well for others in the same position has a value beyond measure (yes, even with a scale). Hence the value that I place on this forum and others like it.

Reactions: Diakat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt those in denial would do the "quiz"

D

Deleted member 308541

I doubt those in denial would do the "quiz"
I never did a distress quiz for a COPD (emphysema), or AFib, so should I do this one as I would hate to be anxious / distressed about anything.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It appears I have little or no distress. I knew that anyway. I was just curious.

Reactions: Jaylee
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks @Alexandra100 for posting, I did do the test and but I knew roughly what the outcome would be, but it was good to do it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Alexandra100 As you have not been given a Diabetes diagnosis or even a type 1 diagnosis I am curious to ask why you feel it necessary to complete this ?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Alexandra100 As you have not been given a Diabetes diagnosis or even a type 1 diagnosis I am curious to ask why you feel it necessary to complete this ?
Hello Juicy, sorry, but I haven't time or energy to reply fully to your query right now. Can we leave it for the moment that although I don't meet your criteria for pre-diabetes or full diabetes, I do indeed, however misguidedly, suffer from diabetes distress.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if just one more person tells me that Mindfulness would bring serentity I shall scream
Me too, but anyone can sure fire get my goat even worse by exhorting me to keep a "gratefulness" diary. Be re-assured, no recommendations here to mindfulness but rather one to seek out more sympathetic people who understand about diabetes. Unfortunately they didn't link to this Forum (or to any diabetic focussed organisation).