Brand new type 2

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Newly diagnosed type 2. Very rushed gp appt today..all their computers were down so they couldnt access my results but i was told yesterday by a locum gp that i needed to go in and start medication. The doc i saw today said to wait 3 months before meds.( he didn't have my results) My bm is 19. I dont great. What do i do? Thanks

Reactions: T2_2018

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Josie and welcome!
As this is your first post I’ll tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post. There are a few things that need to happen now, as a diabetic you should receive an appt for eye screening, a foot check and the offer of a diabetes education session. You also need to know your HbA1c level, this is most likely the test which they will have used to diagnose you, see here for how that works: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-test.html
You could either ring up or visit the surgery and register for on line access.
Did you receive any advice about diet? And do you have weight to lose? Sorry about the questions but if you’re comfortable answering we can help you more easily.

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Hi yes i have a lot of weight to lose
I was just told my HBa1c had shot up from previous test and ive now got other symptoms. Gp appt was a farce today..they had no computer access..feel fobbed off. He just said 3 months review but yesterday i was told i needed medication. My bm is 19 now

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would make another appt with your GP to go through things properly, hopefully when the computers are working.
When I was diagnosed I was very over weight. I was advised by folk here to take up a low carb way of eating. This brought my blood sugar levels down to non diabetic levels and I have lost over six stone. I suggest if you want to try this route you start by cutting out obvious sugars but also reduce obvious carbohydrates too. Carbohydrates all turn to sugar once eaten, so a jacket potato for instance is the equivalent of 19 cubes of sugar. A drastic reduction in potatoes, bread, cereals, rice, pasta etc... will improve things no end. You may or may not require meds, I take Metformin the mildest type 2 med but some people manage on low carb diet alone. 19 is high but not surprising if you’ve just been diagnosed. Do you have a blood glucose meter? If not I suggest you get one, that way you can see how different food/meals affect you and your blood sugar levels.

Reactions: Ponchu and briped

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Yes i bought one to keep track.
I need to get my head around it all. Definitely have to lose weight but thats the hard part for me! Im going to try to get back to dr tomorrow
Thanks for your help..will look at low carb diets

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Never knew that about jacket potatoes!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need to get my head around it all. Definitely have to lose weight but thats the hard part for me! Im going to try to get back to dr tomorrow

I had struggled to lose weight for decades, but by eating low carbs the weight just dropped off. It’s a really effective way to shed weight without feeling like you’re starving all the time. I’m glad you have a meter, the best way to test is to do one test just as you start eating a meal, then test again two hours after the first bite. Here’s the levels you are aiming for:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
Your levels are higher at the moment but we often say here that it’s a marathon not a sprint, initially you’re just looking to see a gradual reduction in readings.

Reactions: Ponchu and jjraak

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Thank you . So glad i found this page!

Reactions: jjraak

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you . So glad i found this page!
Have a good read around, especially daisy1’s post which will appear on this thread soon. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions that occur to you.

Reactions: jjraak

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Josie66
Hello Josie and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Josie, and welcome!
I couldn't lose weight to save my life, literally... Basically, all common diets focus on fat as an obesity-culprit. But... And that's a BIG but... As a T2 you have a problem processing glucose. (Carbs turn to glucose once ingested, which is important to realise). You make loads of insulin, but you're insensitive to it, so rather than helping you burn the glucose as fuel, it just... Doesn't. For years, the excess gets stored in fat cells as your prediabetes gets worse. (Gaining weight is a symptom of prediabetes, is doesn't cause it!) And that's the catch. If you don't know it's glucose that's being stored, if you don't know processing carbs back out is the problem, then you can't tailer your diet to lose that weight! If you just go low fat, it doesn't help one iota. Me, I saw a dietician in the hospital and she told me to eat more carbs and cut down on fats. I ballooned even further, went from obese to morbidly obese on that advice in about 6 months. The dietician shrugged and told me I was just "one of those people who couldn't lose weight", and was dismissed.

But now you know!
Now you know what the problem is, that there's a metabolic issue that causes your body to hold on to glucose in fat cells... And now you can actually DO something about it! I lost a third of a person going low carb... Took me a while, but I'm 25 kilo's (50 pounds) lighter than I was 2 years ago. For others it usually happens faster, but my thyroid doesn't work and there's other metabolic issues to contend with besides medication... But still. Shed 25 kilo's in spite of all that.

So it can be done.
And there is hope! ;)

Also, besides losing that weight, I also happened to put my T2 into remission. So there's that. ;) (Not to mention getting rid of certain food intolerances... I can have cheese and milk and eggs again! Oh, and my panic attacks are nowhere near as bad or as frequent as they used to be. Depression's better than it was too... Getting off track here, sorry. ;) )

Reactions: Emily D. and Ponchu

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said do reduce all carbs and have enough fats and proteins plus veg and non-tropical fruit to keep you feeling full. GPs in general wait 3 months before starting meds following NICE Guidelines. My GP did when my BS was sky high at diagnosis . You will probably be started on Metformin which helps a bit but not a lot which makes the right diet essential. There are other meds that can be considered if needed.

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
@Josie66
Hello Josie and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Thank you for all the advice

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Hey Josie, and welcome!
I couldn't lose weight to save my life, literally... Basically, all common diets focus on fat as an obesity-culprit. But... And that's a BIG but... As a T2 you have a problem processing glucose. (Carbs turn to glucose once ingested, which is important to realise). You make loads of insulin, but you're insensitive to it, so rather than helping you burn the glucose as fuel, it just... Doesn't. For years, the excess gets stored in fat cells as your prediabetes gets worse. (Gaining weight is a symptom of prediabetes, is doesn't cause it!) And that's the catch. If you don't know it's glucose that's being stored, if you don't know processing carbs back out is the problem, then you can't tailer your diet to lose that weight! If you just go low fat, it doesn't help one iota. Me, I saw a dietician in the hospital and she told me to eat more carbs and cut down on fats. I ballooned even further, went from obese to morbidly obese on that advice in about 6 months. The dietician shrugged and told me I was just "one of those people who couldn't lose weight", and was dismissed.

But now you know!
Now you know what the problem is, that there's a metabolic issue that causes your body to hold on to glucose in fat cells... And now you can actually DO something about it! I lost a third of a person going low carb... Took me a while, but I'm 25 kilo's (50 pounds) lighter than I was 2 years ago. For others it usually happens faster, but my thyroid doesn't work and there's other metabolic issues to contend with besides medication... But still. Shed 25 kilo's in spite of all that.

So it can be done.
And there is hope! ;)

Also, besides losing that weight, I also happened to put my T2 into remission. So there's that. ;) (Not to mention getting rid of certain food intolerances... I can have cheese and milk and eggs again! Oh, and my panic attacks are nowhere near as bad or as frequent as they used to be. Depression's better than it was too... Getting off track here, sorry. ;) )

Hi
This is all good to know!! Im hypothyroid too..professional dieter! ( not a good one!)
This post gives me hope so thank you