Book Corner.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Jane Austen but I can't honestly recommend buying her complete works all in one go, unless you can get them at a really, really good price! :)

The more things I read and hear about her (online, books, movies, etc.), I realize I probably don't "get" her (her humor, social observations) because I'm a 20th-21st-century American who didn't major in 19th-century lit at college. But for just the quality of her writing and the stories, I do appreciate her. She has taught me more about the history of her times than any history course I took at school or in college, because she has made me interested enough to do nonfiction reading on some of the things she refers to.

So, if you can get a really good deal, and have shelf space, you could buy the whole set, or try one at a time if possible. I started with Pride & Prejudice after seeing the Laurence Olivier-Greer Garson movie.

Thankyou I bought them. It's a rather nice book and I gave my daughter a good donation for the charity she's raising funds for. Unfortunately the costume jewellery she had been given wasnt to my taste so I passed on that.

I didnt read any of Austen's books either for school days. And I've never seen any of the tv adaptations. This should be interesting

Reactions: SaskiaKC

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like romance and a sarcastic view of Regency society then enjoy.

I liked Mansfield park as it’s the most interesting to me but I rarely read fiction.

Thankyou I read a varied sort of books. I use our local library for a lot of books and buy more in the local charity shops. Latest charity shop buy was a French book to brush up on my old qualifications as I may be going to Paris next year for a couple of days. I'm amazed I remember so much from school days

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Thankyou I read a varied sort of books. I use our local library for a lot of books and buy more in the local charity shops. Latest charity shop buy was a French book to brush up on my old qualifications as I may be going to Paris next year for a couple of days. I'm amazed I remember so much from school days

We have a book barn here which has thousands of used book all for a £1 and 50p for kids books.

Any book you want they have. I could spend hours in there!

My french is rubbish lol!

Reactions: jay hay-char

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou I bought them. It's a rather nice book and I gave my daughter a good donation for the charity she's raising funds for. Unfortunately the costume jewellery she had been given wasnt to my taste so I passed on that.

I didnt read any of Austen's books either for school days. And I've never seen any of the tv adaptations. This should be interesting

If you haven't seen the movie The Jane Austen Book Club, you might enjoy it. It's also a book, which is quite different from the movie. I like both. The book is by Karen Joy Fowler.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t get much time these days to read anything substantive. I subscribe to 3 print and two e-science fiction magazines, which give me great pleasure. They say the Golden Age of Science Fiction is 11, and that’s about right for me! Hooked ever since.
Also in the fall was reading a couple if books about dementia care, which have been invaluable for getting into my mom’s mind as it drifts off. Sadly, I can’t remember the names of the two best ones.
She (Mom) has a book in her current pile which she read some of to me today. Thomas Merton, The Seven Storey Mountain. That is one I definitely want to read!
I loved all the Mary Poppins books as a child, loved the Julie Andrews movie, and with some trepidation watched the new version. It may be even better! The writers chose from others of the books, and I was tickled pink that I caught every reference, literary and musical. Now I have to go back and find those!!
Somebody mentioned Rosamund Pilcher. Is UK village life really that golden??

My own idea of UK village life is a mix of Miss Marple, Miss Read, and Monica Edwards. :) ETA: Midsomer Murders!

I discovered Thomas Merton in college, when I read The Seven Storey Mountain for a course. In later years I rediscovered him and read more of his books. He is one of my favorite authors, and I guess two of my favorites of his books are The Wisdom of the Desert and Seeds of Contemplation.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SaskiaKC but what do we know, right? Oh man I loved Midsomer Murders, until they started having a)corpses and even killings onscreen, and b) more than one murder per episode. I felt they had caved to the violence-craving masses, and anyway, if they kill off 5 people in a village every week, how long is there going to be a village???? :hilarious:

I haven't read any Merton, but I can see I'll want to. Thanks for the titles!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC but what do we know, right? Oh man I loved Midsomer Murders, until they started having a)corpses and even killings onscreen, and b) more than one murder per episode. I felt they had caved to the violence-craving masses, and anyway, if they kill off 5 people in a village every week, how long is there going to be a village???? :hilarious:

I haven't read any Merton, but I can see I'll want to. Thanks for the titles!

I liked Midsomer Murders when Tom Barnaby was the DCI. I haven't been able to get interested in John Barnaby or his sidekicks.

Talking of killing off so many people in little villages each week, there is a hilarious program (maybe available on YouTube) with interviews with the cast, in which John Nettles says something very much like what you've just said). :)

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a book barn here which has thousands of used book all for a £1 and 50p for kids books.

Any book you want they have. I could spend hours in there!

My french is rubbish lol!

ooh the book barn seems like my idea of heaven

and my French is OK just needs a good old polishing so I can speak with the native French people on my trip. School days French cant be that bad

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you haven't seen the movie The Jane Austen Book Club, you might enjoy it. It's also a book, which is quite different from the movie. I like both. The book is by Karen Joy Fowler.

thankyou I havent seen that film either (I must have led a sheltered life)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
ooh the book barn seems like my idea of heaven

and my French is OK just needs a good old polishing so I can speak with the native French people on my trip. School days French cant be that bad
French - some of it sticks,a lot has gone AWOL and i need it back ASAP. We are moving to France sometime in spring. Cant write more now, back to french swotting. :bookworm:

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
French - some of it sticks,a lot has gone AWOL and i need it back ASAP. We are moving to France sometime in spring. Cant write more now, back to french swotting. :bookworm:

Good luck. The problem I'm having is the verbs etc. I'm only brushing up on the ones I think I will need. I refuse to be like my husband who thinks that by speaking slowly and doing hand gestures he will get what he wants hee hee.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm now half way through the last book I had to read in the Emma Harte series. Called Just Rewards by Barbara Taylor Bradford

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good luck. The problem I'm having is the verbs etc. I'm only brushing up on the ones I think I will need. I refuse to be like my husband who thinks that by speaking slowly and doing hand gestures he will get what he wants hee hee.
Have found that spoken french is a lot easier than written, for example the le/la dilemma - recent guidance was to speak quickly and use l'

Reactions: jay hay-char

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have found that spoken french is a lot easier than written, for example the le/la dilemna recent guidance was to speak quickly and use l'

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aye, that's the one. Not seen the movie.

Just started 'War of the Worlds' by Wells, never read this book before, will be interesting to note the differences to the films.
H.G.Wells. Seemingly a diabetic and one of the main drivers behind the NHS. Or is that common knowledge here?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
H.G.Wells. Seemingly a diabetic and one of the main drivers behind the NHS. Or is that common knowledge here?

Also, it was, I think, Wells who supported the founder of dotorg.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
I thought I would try to start a dedicated book corner as I know that there are many book addicts out there. I would like that there should be a no holds barred approach so fiction or non fiction covering any and all subjects. From history to hagiography, from gardening to Greek mythology or from medicine to magazines.
I have spent the last ten years reading mediaeval British history but recently read Sebastian Barry's 'Secret Scriptures' a complete change for me but I was rapt with this novel and will return to it time and again to immerse myself in Barry's almost poetic use of the English language, a book worthy of any collection.
Just finished my seventh book in a series on my kindle of the Author Dewey Lambdin, and his sea stories about Alan Jewrie in the Royal navy and his trials and tribulations, victories and losses, based around the time of the American Revolution in the late 1700`s.
Very enjoyable fiction series indeed, and I have moved on and am now just started reading how to make Moonshine on my kindle, (legally bought from Amazon) and then will revert to my beloved Terry Pratchett once more.
Does anyone else who uses a kindle, find themselves side swiping normal books to get the pages to change, and then hope no one saw you doing that?

Reactions: Guzzler

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz. Been a long time since I picked up one of his books. I got this one from my daughter who is raising funds for her daughter's scouts group as they had all their camping equipment stolen. It's OK but I do wonder what our American friends think of his outlook on American lfe

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dean koontz can be a bit bleak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reading One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz. Been a long time since I picked up one of his books. I got this one from my daughter who is raising funds for her daughter's scouts group as they had all their camping equipment stolen. It's OK but I do wonder what our American friends think of his outlook on American lfe

His books don't appeal to me. I tried one of them years ago about the time I first heard of Stephen King. I've never seen the attraction in either one of them.