1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Book Corner.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Guzzler, Jul 4, 2017.

1. wolfie11969

wolfie11969 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I found in the 90's I read a lot of horror books. My tastes changed over the years and I found the horror section to be very samey so I started reading other books. Now coming up to 50 I have found I read different books again but as I bought this one for my granddaughter's scout fundraiser I decided to read it. I guess it's OK but I'm not sure yet if I have read it before hee hee.
    It will keep me going for a few days until I decide to pick something else up. I've just spent £20 on 9 books from an online second hand bookstore so I'm sure they will soon be calling my name.

Stephen King - I tried 22:11:63 that was pretty good

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

How many times have I done that with library books! :D

3. wolfie11969

I've read a series of books based around a character called Emma Harte. Realised I'd read the first couple back when I was young and had nothing else to do :bookworm:

• Like Like x 2
  4. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

A Woman of Substance, et al.? I remember when that book first came out. I started my first job as a librarian the next year and we paid attention to all the new books coming out.

5. wolfie11969

oh yes. Read the whole series now so looking through other books I have bought. Have to pick a book up from the library in next couple of days so the Dean Koontz will have to wait

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. wolfie11969

Naughty me bought another 15 books online last night. I'm going to have to take over my granddaughter's alcove in her bedroom and make some shelves. (sorry that should read - hubby will)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. wolfie11969

In the middle of the Dean Koontz book I've read a book from the library called The Little House by Philippa Gregory. Not her usual style of books ie historical novels but I enjoyed it

8. gemma_T1

gemma_T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, if you haven’t already read it, check out Dispatches by Michael Herr, highly recommended.
    I’ve also read “If I die in a combat zone”. Great book. I went through a Vietnam War reading phase too.
    I went through my Second World War phase again recently, but back doing WW1 with my son at the moment...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

What WW1 books can you recommend? I was looking for some last summer but for some reason couldn't find any I could really get into. I did like the novel In the Company of Eagles that I read decades ago.

10. wolfie11969

Reading Heads You Win by Jeffrey Archer. Half way through - it's OK but something seems to be missing

11. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I'm reading John Grisham's Camino Island. Booksellers, rare books, sophisticated book thieves, in a well-written adventure. :)

12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Just ordered 'The Tattooist' about the concentration camp numberer and 'This is Going to Hurt' diary of a junior doctor. Managed to get both s/h and hardback so am chuffed.

13. wolfie11969

Anyone have any good second hand booksites they use?

I usually use World of Books but often they dont have the book I want.

Any recommendations?

• Like Like x 1
  14. gemma_T1

It seems that there are many more books on the Second World War than on the First.
    I’ll send you two novels which you may have already read or seen the films. And I’ll get back to you later with other titles as I have a terrible memory so I’ll have to look them up. I’m reading World War One stuff at the moment that is suitable for kids, as there is a lot around for them starting at a very young age too. So since my son was small I’ve been reading books (novels, history and poetry ) with him, he’s now 12 years old and loves history.
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    The Road Back
    both by Erich Maria Remarque
    The first book and it’s sequel were both made into films.
    The first was directed by Delbert Mann with Donald Pleasence and Ian Holm released in 1979
    I haven’t seen The Road Back but would like to, it was released in 1937 and was directed by James Whale.
    Both books are very good. The Road Back tells the story after the armistice, personally I preferred it. A bit like later books of veterans returning home to America after the Vietnam War, these soldiers came home feeling disillusioned with the purpose of the war, they suffered feelings of alienation from their friends. These veterans came back to a Germany and personal lives that had been enormously changed while they had been away. It is both thought-provoking and heartbreaking.
    I hope you enjoy them.
    I’ll be back soon with an update.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. gemma_T1

Just come across on the bookshelf, August 1914 by Solzhenitsyn. From blurb on the back cover, “August 1914 is his greatest book, a vast , panoramic epic of war, it’s heroism and tragic bearing on the destiny of a nation.”

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  17. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

https://www.alibris.co.uk/?ds_rl=12...c&utm_source=Google&utm_term=alibris_uk_Exact

https://www.amazon.co.uk/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/

NB: I am in the US but the above seem to be the UK equivalents of some I would try. I love Alibris -- good prices and quick shipping; it is like a book Amazon but with better prices.

18. wolfie11969

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

20. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

ABE Books has a large selection of used books. Some have to come from the States and the search function can be a little user unfreindly but if you are searching for a particular book (I bought a few on History that were not available here) then it is worth having a look.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook