1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Book Corner.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Guzzler, Jul 4, 2017.

1. wolfie11969

wolfie11969 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thankyou I bought them. It's a rather nice book and I gave my daughter a good donation for the charity she's raising funds for. Unfortunately the costume jewellery she had been given wasnt to my taste so I passed on that.

I didnt read any of Austen's books either for school days. And I've never seen any of the tv adaptations. This should be interesting

• Like Like x 1
  2. wolfie11969

Thankyou I read a varied sort of books. I use our local library for a lot of books and buy more in the local charity shops. Latest charity shop buy was a French book to brush up on my old qualifications as I may be going to Paris next year for a couple of days. I'm amazed I remember so much from school days

• Like Like x 1
  3. Major Buckmaster

Major Buckmaster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We have a book barn here which has thousands of used book all for a £1 and 50p for kids books.

Any book you want they have. I could spend hours in there!

My french is rubbish lol!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen the movie The Jane Austen Book Club, you might enjoy it. It's also a book, which is quite different from the movie. I like both. The book is by Karen Joy Fowler.

5. SaskiaKC

My own idea of UK village life is a mix of Miss Marple, Miss Read, and Monica Edwards. :) ETA: Midsomer Murders!

I discovered Thomas Merton in college, when I read The Seven Storey Mountain for a course. In later years I rediscovered him and read more of his books. He is one of my favorite authors, and I guess two of my favorites of his books are The Wisdom of the Desert and Seeds of Contemplation.

6. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@SaskiaKC but what do we know, right? Oh man I loved Midsomer Murders, until they started having a)corpses and even killings onscreen, and b) more than one murder per episode. I felt they had caved to the violence-craving masses, and anyway, if they kill off 5 people in a village every week, how long is there going to be a village???? :hilarious:

I haven't read any Merton, but I can see I'll want to. Thanks for the titles!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SaskiaKC

I liked Midsomer Murders when Tom Barnaby was the DCI. I haven't been able to get interested in John Barnaby or his sidekicks.

Talking of killing off so many people in little villages each week, there is a hilarious program (maybe available on YouTube) with interviews with the cast, in which John Nettles says something very much like what you've just said). :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. wolfie11969

ooh the book barn seems like my idea of heaven

and my French is OK just needs a good old polishing so I can speak with the native French people on my trip. School days French cant be that bad

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wolfie11969

thankyou I havent seen that film either (I must have led a sheltered life)

• Like Like x 1
  10. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

French - some of it sticks,a lot has gone AWOL and i need it back ASAP. We are moving to France sometime in spring. Cant write more now, back to french swotting. :bookworm:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. wolfie11969

Good luck. The problem I'm having is the verbs etc. I'm only brushing up on the ones I think I will need. I refuse to be like my husband who thinks that by speaking slowly and doing hand gestures he will get what he wants hee hee.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. wolfie11969

I'm now half way through the last book I had to read in the Emma Harte series. Called Just Rewards by Barbara Taylor Bradford

13. SlimLizzy

Have found that spoken french is a lot easier than written, for example the le/la dilemma - recent guidance was to speak quickly and use l'

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. SlimLizzy

Have found that spoken french is a lot easier than written, for example the le/la dilemna recent guidance was to speak quickly and use l'

15. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

H.G.Wells. Seemingly a diabetic and one of the main drivers behind the NHS. Or is that common knowledge here?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Also, it was, I think, Wells who supported the founder of dotorg.

17. Groundgripper

Groundgripper Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just finished my seventh book in a series on my kindle of the Author Dewey Lambdin, and his sea stories about Alan Jewrie in the Royal navy and his trials and tribulations, victories and losses, based around the time of the American Revolution in the late 1700`s.
    Very enjoyable fiction series indeed, and I have moved on and am now just started reading how to make Moonshine on my kindle, (legally bought from Amazon) and then will revert to my beloved Terry Pratchett once more.
    Does anyone else who uses a kindle, find themselves side swiping normal books to get the pages to change, and then hope no one saw you doing that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. wolfie11969

Reading One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz. Been a long time since I picked up one of his books. I got this one from my daughter who is raising funds for her daughter's scouts group as they had all their camping equipment stolen. It's OK but I do wonder what our American friends think of his outlook on American lfe

19. SlimLizzy

Dean koontz can be a bit bleak

• Like Like x 1
  20. SaskiaKC

His books don't appeal to me. I tried one of them years ago about the time I first heard of Stephen King. I've never seen the attraction in either one of them.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook