Type 2 Milk

pinky_69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all question. Do you use semi skimmed, skimmed or almond milk? Which would you recommend?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Full fat milk but in very small quantities but preferably double cream.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lactofree full fat milk has low carb levels, I have it in my tea and double cream for coffee.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I use skimmed milk in my tea.
On very rare occasions, if I have cereal I have full fat milk

Ponchu

Skim milk is excellent for fattening pigs.

I know.

I used to use it with heart healthy low fat low cal breakfast cereals and saw my waist expand.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The difference in the carbohydrate in Whole milk and Semi-Skimmed milk is marginal. According to the Tesco website Whole milk is 4.7g carbs per 100ml, Semi-Skimmed milk is 4.8g carbs per 100ml. So if you were to drink a whole litre of milk that would only make 1 gram difference.

Edited for clarity.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use whole milk as I need the fats to make up for the reduced carbs in my general diet. And I like the taste : )

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only use a tiny amount in Tea occasionally and always use skimmed.

As @Mr_Pot says the difference between Full Fat and Skimmed is so negligible it is hardly worth worrying about, but for the micro-managers every 0.1 g of carb seems to matter.

M

Member496333

For me it’s just the principle more than anything. Fat is my main source of fuel so I prefer not to consume foods that have had it artificially removed. It’s a moot point for me anyway, as I don’t really use it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And of course Lactofree being almost half the carbs of regular so 2.6g per 100ml as opposed to 4.7g seems to be the obvious choice for those watching their carbs?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And of course Lactofree being almost half the carbs of regular so 2.6g per 100ml as opposed to 4.7g seems to be the obvious choice for those watching their carbs?
When I looked up lactofree it said they add lactase to break down the lactose to glucose and galactose. It doesn't say they remove anything - any idea why it is lower carb?

Reactions: DavidK59

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
seems to be the obvious choice for those watching their carbs?

I buy a 568ml container and pour at least 3/4 of it away every week, so not an issue for me.

If you consume a lot of Milk then certainly, 45% less Carb is certainly a factor to think about.

Does it cost more ?, I am a tight wad :bag:..............the wife bought me organic the other week........60p instead of 50p.......... :eek:

(Post edited by moderator, removing inappropriate joke)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Like a couple of other folk have said, I use skimmed milk in my tea, just a dash. My cuppas are non-negotiable.

Reactions: hankjam

Ponchu

Dont use it myself but if I had to it would be full fat or nothing :)

I’m a black coffee guy but my wife uses cream.

Full fat, grass fed.

She didn’t need to lose weight but did—body fat - and her ketone level is always 2.0 and above.

She was raised on a farm but in college was told she’d die from her farm diet.

Now she lathers everything in butter.

She adds the cream to my scrambled eggs, adds butter on top of that and sneaks in cheese.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A dribble of skimmed in my tea, cream in my coffee, most of my pint of skimmed goes down the sink but i just don't like tea with full cream milk (I also keep almond in for if I fancy a latte style coffee)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I looked up lactofree it said they add lactase to break down the lactose to glucose and galactose. It doesn't say they remove anything - any idea why it is lower carb?
To be honest no.. but I thought by removing the lactose that part of the carb/sugar content has gone hence the lower carb values.. it just happened ot be the lowest carb proper milk (rather than an alternative "drink" type thing) I found in the early days when I read all the packaging in the supermarket!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy a 568ml container and pour at least 3/4 of it away every week, so not an issue for me.

If you consume a lot of Milk then certainly, 45% less Carb is certainly a factor to think about.

Does it cost more ?, I am a tight wad :bag:..............the wife bought me organic the other week........60p instead of 50p.......... :eek:

Usually £1.40 a litre but can be on offer 2 for £2... and anyway I'm worth it!

(post edited by moderator - Removal of quoted text that was edited)

Last edited by a moderator:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
A2 or protein-enriched soy milk in full fat plain (non-flavoured) variety.
I am intolerant of the A1 protein in cow's milk so I can avoid that protein but still maintain a reasonable protein level
without to high a carb content with these two milks. My understanding is that whilst nut milks are not too bad carb content-wise they are low in protein compared to cow or other animal milk or soy.