Chia seeds

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I decided to try some Chia seeds I am trying seven day low carb challenge, but I put a teaspoonful in water and the water went thick but the seeds stayed as they were when I put them in. Have I done something wrong, first time I have tried it.had them a few weeks but been frightened to try them as I read reports of them holding massive amounts of water and if you don't swallow them properly they can cause choking.
Could someone who uses them advice me please I would like to try them but just a little fearful.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am intending to make strawberry jam using them as a jelling agent. So am all ears. :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use them to firm up my coffee.
600 mls strong black coffee and when cooled a bit I add 70 gm of chia slowly, stirring with a fork the whole till they are all expanded and have not formed any clumps...
Into the fridge overnight and 100 gm of this goes on 150 gm Lidl Greek yogurt and 10 gm milled flax on top.
My breakfast for the last two months,,,
I sure all good things will come to an end and I'll think of something else.
Hope this helps.
:)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My current favourite way to eat chia seed is to mix them with coconut milk, a little erythritol, a little vanilla extract and some blackberries. If you leave the mix overnight it all thickens up nicely to make a cteamy chia seed pudding. I also like to whizz up some silken tofu, chia seeds, cocoa powder or aa few blueberries, lemon juice and zest together with some erythritol and again leave overnight to make a breakfast pudding
There are loads of different chia seed pudding recipes online - they are easy to make low carb if they arent already - just replace things like maple syrup / sugar etc with things like erythritol / stevia drops etc
https://www.google.com/search?q=low...j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @DCUKMod , yes I make chia pudding with the seeds. I usually leave them in the fridge overnight in my chosen liquid and flavouring, there is always remnants of the actual seed it doesn’t disappear completely, I thought it odd to start with but it’s fine now. You can get away with only leaving them for four hours.

Reactions: Prem51 and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Motherhen2014 What do they taste like? It all comes across as a bit like tapioca? Which I like.

@hankjam Are you by chance a Geologist (coccolith avatar) ?

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hello @Motherhen2014, the long soak overnight is the trick as others have mentioned. The mix ends up like a firm sago.
If you were to blend this mix it would be easier to swallow but still a bit 'bitty'. Adding a little cream would make this mix go down more easily. " A spoonful of sugar, no cream! makes the medicine, no yummy mix! go down....." !!
The unblended lot do tend to stick in one's teeth a little also.
I use chia instead of burghul (cracked wheat) in making tabouleh. I leave the 'creation' overnight in the fridge whilst the chia soaks up some of the lemon juice and other liquids.
It is easier to swallow this tabouleh if liberal amounts of olive oil are added and mixed into your serve just before eating, other wise the chopped up parsley and chia sometimes catch in one's back of mouth.
Best Wishes and Eating !!!

Reactions: Prem51 and Sue192

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the trick is to stir them into the liquid immediately. And thoroughly. Unless you do that, they have a tendency to form a single hard lump surrounded by gelatinous goo. Which is pretty unappetising!

Better to stir them well at the very start.

I always loved sago, tapioca and rice pudding, so chia seed pudding used to be right up my street. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a pud like @Boo1979, and with cocoa powder you get a sort-of choc mousse. Check the pud after the overnight soak @PenguinMum, as it can be a little thick - top up with coco milk/water. Just remember to check your teeth afterwards, unless you want to wear your chia seeds with pride....!

Reactions: Prem51 and hankjam

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use them to firm up my coffee.
600 mls strong black coffee and when cooled a bit I add 70 gm of chia slowly, stirring with a fork the whole till they are all expanded and have not formed any clumps...
Into the fridge overnight and 100 gm of this goes on 150 gm Lidl Greek yogurt and 10 gm milled flax on top.
My breakfast for the last two months,,,
I sure all good things will come to an end and I'll think of something else.
Hope this helps.
Mmmm. I must give that a try - an alternative to coffee with cream for breakfast. Thanks for posting that!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Photosynthetic algal physiologist me (stable isotopes).... in a previous life
Ah. Okay. I was thinking Chalk geology. Sounds like a branch of geology though?

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where is the best place to buy chia seeds? Can they be bought in a regular supermarket or would I have to go to Holland and Barrett or similar?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s an option to grind them first reducing considerably the tapioca texture. I bought mine in Sainsbury’s.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where is the best place to buy chia seeds? Can they be bought in a regular supermarket or would I have to go to Holland and Barrett or similar?
Tesco and Waitrose sell them :)

Reactions: Listlad

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Motherhen2014, the long soak overnight is the trick as others have mentioned. The mix ends up like a firm sago.
If you were to blend this mix it would be easier to swallow but still a bit 'bitty'. Adding a little cream would make this mix go down more easily. " A spoonful of sugar, no cream! makes the medicine, no yummy mix! go down....." !!
The unblended lot do tend to stick in one's teeth a little also.
I use chia instead of burghul (cracked wheat) in making tabouleh. I leave the 'creation' overnight in the fridge whilst the chia soaks up some of the lemon juice and other liquids.
It is easier to swallow this tabouleh if liberal amounts of olive oil are added and mixed into your serve just before eating, other wise the chopped up parsley and chia sometimes catch in one's back of mouth.
Best Wishes and Eating !!!

I love your idea of using chia for Tabouleh. I did try it as pudding and wasn't keen, but tabouleh! what else do you use apart from the oil? I've only ever bought it ready made (BD before diagnosis)