What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak so sorry about the loss of your cat. We had Ginger for 16 years, grew up with the boys, youngest son adored him, doesnt remember a time without him. Sadlly he got cancer and died quite quickly aged 16. We all bawled our eyes out and decided to spread his ashes in the meadow where as a young un he loved hunting. He brought things through the cat flap that really shouldnt have been possible! He was a right character, could be asleep anywhere but change a bed and he would be there instantly.
We now have two rescue girls Bobs and Daisy who came from a chaotic home where we believe Daisy was abused. It took a bit of work to settle them but now they are both very happy and secure.
If you (or Karen) feel able to I can tell you its very rewarding to adopt a troubled animal. You may remember @johnpol recently talked about fostering Fossie dog. Whether its cats or dogs same thing.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I won't give up at all, just now need to maybe tweak a bit...or maybe I am being a little impatient. The first 2 weeks for weight loss were great but the bg levels were still high, now my bg levels are pretty good and weight loss has stopped. Mind you I'm terrible for jumping on the scales too often. I think some exercise on my air strider may help.

Weight cycles throughout the month, especially when we're young.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who looking forward to the weekend.
A gentle 5.7 on the meter this morning.

Mrs J is going to a funeral today, leaving me's unsupervised again, yep sneaky phone calls to my mates chaos and mayhem, planning is being undertaken as I type. What we are planning is secret squirrel stuff, but it's rumoured the moon is made of cheese, we shall see.....
Have a good one folks I'm planning to.

Pssst ... Morocco Mole calling Secret Squirrel ... Mighty Mouse standing by for that cheese patrol ... Over ...

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Karen that is sad for you...our pets are such a big part of our lives. I dont know how long ago you lost yours but my overriding thought is she had a lovely life with you.
it was about 2 years ago now penguinmum but still miss her every day she was such a character i think she thought she was human half the time she wasnt a particulary cuddly cat but when she wanted one you had no choice so many quirky ways and if you got on her nerves she would swipe you as you passed her especially the youngest son ;)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry for the loss, @karen8967

same here, mate.

Do keep meaning to go spread her ashes near mum & dads grave, but haven't have the will to do that yet
(was back in april we lost her)

i thought the cat was evil, and we nearly got rid, as she bit & scratched the girls constantly.
eventually she settled into what we jokingly called MUMMY'S cat..as the missus pampered it.

Yet weirdly about midlife (hers) she became my cat, cuddled up at every opportunity, got jealous if the missus got into bed next to me..howled when i was streets away from home, and then got all purry when i got in.

God i miss her everyday..sure the girls do as well, and i thought they'd struggle to get over her, but i've been the sad, weak link in that chain..:sorry::)

Hugs & Love x
arr thanks jjraak x the funny thing is i was never a cat person till i had her we always had dogs growing up but when we got her she was just a ball of fluff and full of mischief :happy:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is a pic of my little cat her name was gizmo she was about 10 on this and she didnt look much different when she passed
FB_IMG_1487509988838.jpg

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Morning all
5.8 for me this morning. Bit peeved the weight loss has stuck this week...its only my 3rd week so surely it should still be falling. Maybe I'm going the other way in not eating enough? I generally have less than 800 cals and 30g carb. I'm just not hungry - I do 16/8 IF pretty much everyday without trying...
Anyway enough moaning haha, it's almost the weekend.

don't overthink it - varying levels of hydration can have a big impact on individual readings. it's where you are on week 12 compared to week 1 that matters. Keep going!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@karen8967 and @jjraak I am sorry to hear about your kitties. Both of them sound like my old MasCat, who was with us for 7 years, from age 12 to 19. She was an alleykitten who was rescued by a young couple who later had kids and let the animals slip to a back burner. She shared them with 3 other cats and a dog, and never had a human of her very own. I often wanted to find her a home with one, but she bit and scratched without warning and did not like to cuddle except when she wanted to.

When she came to us she didn't even know how to play with toys but I remember the Christmas 3 years later when she suddenly started to play with the tree lights I was taking down and trying to put away! She used to bring me a chipmunk in the mornings and in the evenings when I'd go outside and call her she used to come galloping home through the hedgerow just like Lassie. :)

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Just a little bit of info. You may be very different but I didnt come down into the 4s for ages and still often have a fasting blood in the low 5s 18 months in. An average bg of 5.2 equates to a Hbaca1 of 30 - great to have an aim but celebrate each point you come down and/or keep at that level! Fasting bgs are often the highest of the day for ages so do be kind to yourself in terms of quick results it will all happen at its own pace if you keep going but may take longer than youd like.
Im now maintenance - 18 months on - both for my weight and bgs and have a personal range set that I am happy with and heading too low or too high with those parameters helps me to keep going.

below 6 is good for me. Of course most of us have no idea what our natural levels were pre - diagnosis. I expect there was a spectrum not dissimilar to what remission people post here (obviously wider for non remissions and T1s). I think I'm in a good place but I see all you 5s and 4s and am heartily envious.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
It's good to hear that the insulin isn't as bad as you'd think - I'm still nervous but feeling a little bit more confident about Monday now - so thank you. I too am struggling with levels in the morning - last night I had the lowest reading I have had so far of 12.2 - this morning I have woken up to 16.8 :(
Just remember 12 is still lower to what you normally are. Any progress is progress. Yes it’s still too high, but I struggle with similar levels too (prior to the insulin). I am still struggling with morning levels and never go below 10.

I’m not sure of your work situation but i try to keep my levels at a reasonable level (albeit still high) I try to walk around a lot and get away from my desk as I find this really helps :)

If you are anything like me then the insulin should help you be a bit more stable in the day...

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Great that you are not giving up and realise tweaking is probably needed. As your weight drops and diet changes the "essential" you alters - techy scales make that crystal clear - so its demands alter. I weigh most mornings and variations are fascinating - easily a kg. I only record weight/bmi every Wednesday having read somewhere that was best day. Weight is the one area/data point to totally agree with HCPs for me. Very individual and not linear, full of ups and downs so take the long view.
I also only record once per week. But I have changed the day a few times out of fickleness and sulking at a bad result. If you are weighing every day, have you been able to test the Wednesday hypothesis - does it hold true that it is the best day. And what is the meaning of best? Most accurate or lightest?

Reactions: HarryBeau

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also only record once per week. But I have changed the day a few times out of fickleness and sulking at a bad result. If you are weighing every day, have you been able to test the Wednesday hypothesis - does it hold true that it is the best day. And what is the meaning of best? Most accurate or lightest?

I weigh first thing in the morning after doing my morning fasting glucose and visiting the washroom., wearing the same clothes. I do weight every day (it varies some but as long as the overall trend is downwards, I don't worry). I weigh twice, my scale usually gives me the same result both times (if there's a discrepancy, I weigh 3 times and go with 2/3 but this almost never happens.)

I haven't noticed anything about Wednesdays. If I'm fasting, I weigh a bit less and I usually gain a little the day after I break a fast (I fast about 1 1/2 days twice a week as it helps my blood glucose.) Currently I record my weight Sunday mornings., that is because that's the day I visit my 90 year old mom. Both of my parents have worried about my weight for many years (I've been overweight since my teens, obese since my 20s) and therefore are really interested in knowing my weight loss so it's an additional motivator.