What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is a pic of my little cat her name was gizmo she was about 10 on this and she didnt look much different when she passed View attachment 30812

What a pretty little girl.

I call kitties with this coloring, like @Chronicle_Cat 's Bobs, "full dress cats" because they are in white tie and tail.

My kitty has similar markings but she also has marmalade patches. Sort of full dress with flashes I guess.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also only record once per week. But I have changed the day a few times out of fickleness and sulking at a bad result. If you are weighing every day, have you been able to test the Wednesday hypothesis - does it hold true that it is the best day. And what is the meaning of best? Most accurate or lightest?
Wednesday was supposedly more accurate as people tend to eat more at the weekend. We certainly still have major roasts and family meals then. As for accurate, my Wednesday weight pretty much matches surgery weigh in.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4, with a very busy and stressful week I'm really surprised it wasn't in double figures!!! Things settling a little now thankfully and getting back to normal although it may take another couple of weeks. Sorting out a family member with health and streamlining their finances has proved very challenging. He has special needs and the red tape out there is ubiquitous!!!! Just diagnosed t2d. Picked up his metformin. Went through with him how and when to take (He lives independently). He isn't used to taking tablets and taking his first one proved extremely challenging for him today. He ended up chewing it!!! Tasted fowl he said but it was the only way he could do it.

Anyone got any ideas? Does anyone else struggle taking tablets? Thanks in advance.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He isn't used to taking tablets and taking his first one proved extremely challenging for him today. He ended up chewing it!!! Tasted fowl he said but it was the only way he could do it.

Anyone got any ideas? Does anyone else struggle taking tablets? Thanks in advance.

don't think me rude, @Debandez
but wrapped in ham, or cheese might make the 'chewing' more acceptable
perhap in a fluid type thing as in a spoonful of yoghurt, one gulp and gone
i know from many posts on here, some people have a distaste of certain food/textures

not sure if the coating has real purpose, but crushed and added to a small glass of milk ?

Think you might be able to find one that might just be palatable..?

on a side note...I cant see why, if it's meant to be taken with food,
adding food at point of 'entry' so to speak, would cause issues

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday was supposedly more accurate as people tend to eat more at the weekend. We certainly still have major roasts and family meals then. As for accurate, my Wednesday weight pretty much matches surgery weigh in.

Hmm ... maybe I better start weighing on Wednesday night instead of Sunday!

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.4, with a very busy and stressful week I'm really surprised it wasn't in double figures!!! Things settling a little now thankfully and getting back to normal although it may take another couple of weeks. Sorting out a family member with health and streamlining their finances has proved very challenging. He has special needs and the red tape out there is ubiquitous!!!! Just diagnosed t2d. Picked up his metformin. Went through with him how and when to take (He lives independently). He isn't used to taking tablets and taking his first one proved extremely challenging for him today. He ended up chewing it!!! Tasted fowl he said but it was the only way he could do it.

Metformin is available here in a liquid. Maybe he can get it there. And hopefully being in liquid form wouldn't exacerbate the early tumbum issues.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm ... maybe I better start weighing on Wednesday night instead of Sunday!

Fat wednesday,,,doesn't do it justice..but slim wednesday sounds lame...
It NEEDS a name we can respect, don't you agree..:writer:

thinking caps on me thinks.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bright eyed and bushy tailed at 0400 with 6.2 on the meter (again). After catching up on the news I'm bored and it's only 0500, to early for breakfast :)

It's rarely too early for breakfast but catching up on the news would take away my appetite (and much of the day since it would take hours for me to catch up).

image.jpg

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning, much earlier than I usually test so that’s probably why it’s lower, but I’m very happy after a day of astonishing and uncalled for high bgs yesterday.
@Debandez if you cant get the liquid form how about pushing it into a spoonful of peanut butter. They are such large pills though aren’t they? Doesn’t make it easy.
@SaskiaKC I’m with you there - never too early for breakfast!

M

Member496333

4.8mmol/L this wonderful Saturday morning.

Data since November;
Average glucose = 5.1mmol/L (91mg/dl)
Estimated HbA1c = 29mmol/mol (4.8%)

Considering where I was not much more than a year ago - crying in pain at night and worrying that I was going blind in my right eye - I’m pretty happy with all that. Really feel like I’ve beaten it now and can happily and enthusiastically sustain this lifestyle for as long as I have air in my lungs. In your face diabetes, you’ll have to try harder than that! :stop:

Wishing you all similar positivity when staring-out your meters this morning :cool:

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all a 6.2 greeted me today, Gabe the Fossie dog was successfully delivered to his new Family on Thursday evening and it went well, until he tried to follow us out of the door!! Cue tears from my wife and I had a bit of "dust" in mine!! But the reports are that he's settling in well.

Take care everyone.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Rudely awoken by my first leg cramps in a while, but at least BG was behaving - 4.8. Walking football awaits.

@ianpspurs interesting about the weekend theory. I definitely eat less at the weekends as I find fasting so much easier when I’m out and about all day and there’s no time for the endless cups of tea with cream that punctuate the working day.

Have a great weekend all.