Feeling terrible in the mornings

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my food intake is terrible at the moment, Weetabix and full milk, bananas, malt loaf, potatoes, veg and meat/fish, I just don’t fancy anything and cannot get the food down me, think I had better head to the doctor, though they just say “eat three weetabix instead of mars bars”, I don’t eat mars bars
emoji23.png
If this is a problem with ketones, please, please, please, do NOT eat high carb foods right now! You can't have high ketone levels and high bloodsugar levels. The combination could kill you, and with what you're describing, you might already be seeing toxic levels. I don't want to scare you, as I don't know what's going on with you, but if your diagnosis was wrong and you're actually a LADA, and it kinda sounds like you may be, you really want to get help. Right now. Please.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(And I don't mean making an appointment, I'm talking hospitalisation. In a hurry.)

Reactions: Ponchu

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Thought about this this morning as felt so bad, what would you suggest to eat before sleep? Thank you
No two diabetics respond in the same way, so you would need to experiment a bit. The idea is the convince your liver that you BG is okay in the morning, so it doesn't need to boost the BG level. I would try good carbs like brown pasta or wholemeal bread, but be prepared to experiment. Be aware that there are a number of potential causes of this problem. If the late night snack works then great, but you may have to get further medical advice if it doesn't. Good luck.

Reactions: Ponchu

Upchurch

No two diabetics respond in the same way, so you would need to experiment a bit. The idea is the convince your liver that you BG is okay in the morning, so it doesn't need to boost the BG level. I would try good carbs like brown pasta or wholemeal bread, but be prepared to experiment. Be aware that there are a number of potential causes of this problem. If the late night snack works then great, but you may have to get further medical advice if it doesn't. Good luck.

Thank you, I do cook from scratch so avoid the ready made meals, whole meal bread etc, just can’t seem to convince my liver my BG is okay! I will have to experiment some more

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
if I get worse I will go to A&E
I agree with the other posters. Don't wait. If you get any worse you may not be able to get yourself to the A&E. Which medication are you on? One kind is know to be able to cause ketoacidosis on rare occasions.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You say feel terrible in mornings..... how about the rest of the day?

Do you have any alcohol?

Upchurch

If you are finding it very difficult to gain weight whilst simultaneously having very high blood sugars it seems indicative of a serious lack of insulin. You definitely need to seek medical advice as a matter of urgency. Your current diet also sounds like a disaster for any diabetic but there’s no need to get into that just now. High blood sugars and high ketones can be life threatening.

Being on the cautious side I’d suggest you should go straight to the hospital. Better to play it safe.

I think you are right, my diet is terrible but, it didn’t have an impact on me like this until after Christmas, something has changed. Last time I saw a doctor he said stay thin and I’ll stay in remission but, I want to put on weight, I am like a stick insect on a diet!

Today I tested at 8.30 am, reading was 4.8, much better and felt better. By 10 am, without food, I started the shakes, cold but clammy etc, tested and the reading was up 7.3. Could it be that I am not eating regularly enough (can’t eat breakfast straight away). I have just eaten whole meal toast, tasted like cardboard:)

Upchurch

I agree with the other posters. Don't wait. If you get any worse you may not be able to get yourself to the A&E. Which medication are you on? One kind is know to be able to cause ketoacidosis on rare occasions.

I take one tablet of Metformin in the mornings

Upchurch

You say feel terrible in mornings..... how about the rest of the day?

Do you have any alcohol?

Shakes go off and the fuzzy head. The taste doesn’t go or the acid. Absolutely no energy. I do drink dry white wine in the evenings but, it has never had an impact on my readings or made me feel like this

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I take one tablet of Metformin in the mornings
Good. Metformin is not one of them. How're you feeling? Did you get the problem resolved?

Upchurch

Good. Metformin is not one of them. How're you feeling? Did you get the problem resolved?

No, I have a doctors appointment on Friday, am sure it will all be swept under the carpet because they don’t understand which is sad. Cannot go to A&E because I would be gutted to waste their precious time, will not do an emergency booking at the doctors for the same reason, too many people use them for nothing. rest assured, if I feel it’s getting worse I will go, or get someone to take me or, call an ambulance. Feeling very unhappy at the mo but no probs

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
No, I have a doctors appointment on Friday, am sure it will all be swept under the carpet because they don’t understand which is sad. Cannot go to A&E because I would be gutted to waste their precious time, will not do an emergency booking at the doctors for the same reason, too many people use them for nothing. rest assured, if I feel it’s getting worse I will go, or get someone to take me or, call an ambulance. Feeling very unhappy at the mo but no probs
I tend to think like that too - even when it turned out that I shouldn't have left it because my troubles breathing turned out to be caused by clots in my lungs. Literally I couldn't climb the stairs between two floors without taking a 15 min. long break half way up to catch my breath.
Didn't I consider my problems big enough to waste the precious time of medical staff? Or didn't I consider my wellbeing important enough? Didn't I believe that something like that could happen to my indestructable body? As it turned out they kept me for 5 days in an expensive hospital bed, which could've been avoided if I'd listened to my inner voice.
I do hope you're not as silly as me, and that you get well soon :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you able to access a chemist to buy some ketone testing urine strips? If you have significant ketones then you need to get to A&E sooner rather than later. If you get to the stage of having diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) then you die without hospital treatment (intensive care). Much better not to get to that stage. If you're paranoid about wasting A&E's time you could ring 111 and describe your symptoms.

Upchurch

Are you able to access a chemist to buy some ketone testing urine strips? If you have significant ketones then you need to get to A&E sooner rather than later. If you get to the stage of having diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) then you die without hospital treatment (intensive care). Much better not to get to that stage. If you're paranoid about wasting A&E's time you could ring 111 and describe your symptoms.

I got some testing Sticks on line today, useless, went to a chemist and they hadn’t got any, will try again tomorrow, seriously I am on this and thank you all x

Upchurch

I tend to think like that too - even when it turned out that I shouldn't have left it because my troubles breathing turned out to be caused by clots in my lungs. Literally I couldn't climb the stairs between two floors without taking a 15 min. long break half way up to catch my breath.
Didn't I consider my problems big enough to waste the precious time of medical staff? Or didn't I consider my wellbeing important enough? Didn't I believe that something like that could happen to my indestructable body? As it turned out they kept me for 5 days in an expensive hospital bed, which could've been avoided if I'd listened to my inner voice.
I do hope you're not as silly as me, and that you get well soon :)

Really, I am on it, I will sort it and thank you so much

Upchurch

Would like to thank all the responses I have had, lovely people who do care, I will get it sorted, am strong:) and will let you know how it goes at the doctors on Friday though don’t hold much hope! THANK YOU!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I've just stumbled across this thread.

Sincerely hope you get the help you need. Sometimes we need to be forceful with our doctors to get taken seriously. Look after yourself and get the help you need. Make a list of all your symptoms and what you have been eating, your sugar levels; everything and take it with you.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Reactions: Upchurch