Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hey all.

Just wondering really. Kind of slipped into omad. Lunch was shrinking, down to some tuna and some salad.

Breakfast went the same way. Butter coffee means being out the door in 10min flat and quiet (important at 430 am).

I have NOT done it to lose weight. I'm 75kg now fresh from the shower (from 98) and would sooner it doesn't drop much.

So. Now I'm into it 3 days and feel really good. Already lchf, go really low carb wise. May well be single figures today.
Carbs in any quantity seem to make me slow witted and drowsy. This week I have been my sharpest ever. On the lowest carbs ever.

Bloods have been epic. Essentially 4.8 to 5.2 over the day. Tonight pre 4.8 and 4.9 after.

So. As title. What am I going to get burned by down the road? Must be negatives.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A slight problem I find with one meal a day is that fasting blood glucose / dawn phenomenon takes a lot longer to settle. Only other is that after a few days, I find I lose appetite altogether, so tend to only do the OMAD thing for a few days at a time.

Reactions: jpscloud and Spl@

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Not what I expected to see. Perfect.

Reactions: jpscloud

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No negatives for me. It’s just harder to do now that I’ve dropped a lot of weight - just get hungrier so can no longer achieve it for more than a couple of consecutive days.

If you’re getting the results you’re after and not getting hungry, all is good. If you find weight dropping and you don’t want it to, just make your one meal larger and eat it earlier to give your body time to process it all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't found many problems once I got into the swing.. have been doing it religiously since Jan 1 2019.
Might switch back to more meals for Feb and see what happens. No problems with bloods so far. Slight weight loss but nothing too dramatic and weight loss was one of the reasons I decided to try it again.

Reactions: jpscloud and Spl@

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all.

Just wondering really. Kind of slipped into omad. Lunch was shrinking, down to some tuna and some salad.

Breakfast went the same way. Butter coffee means being out the door in 10min flat and quiet (important at 430 am).

I have NOT done it to lose weight. I'm 75kg now fresh from the shower (from 98) and would sooner it doesn't drop much.

So. Now I'm into it 3 days and feel really good. Already lchf, go really low carb wise. May well be single figures today.
Carbs in any quantity seem to make me slow witted and drowsy. This week I have been my sharpest ever. On the lowest carbs ever.

Bloods have been epic. Essentially 4.8 to 5.2 over the day. Tonight pre 4.8 and 4.9 after.

So. As title. What am I going to get burned by down the road? Must be negatives.
remember to keep you fluids up as its easy to skip a meal, and skip the drink you normally have at that time too.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I haven't found many problems once I got into the swing.. have been doing it religiously since Jan 1 2019.
Might switch back to more meals for Feb and see what happens. No problems with bloods so far. Slight weight loss but nothing too dramatic and weight loss was one of the reasons I decided to try it again.

Thanks BB your carnivore ideas appeal more and more.
Family are not keen though. Only eating once is getting them edgy.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
remember to keep you fluids up as its easy to skip a meal, and skip the drink you normally have at that time too.
Thanks. Fluid is something I do keep up. Just being keto takes a surprising amount of fluid intake.

Working on the highly technical 'colour of pee' scale.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all.

None that I can see... You're in ketosis most likely, hence the sharpness. If you keep your fluids up you shouldn't be getting constipated or anything either. (Though you might see a reduction in BM's: less in, next to nothing out).

You're doing great!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
None that I can see... You're in ketosis most likely, hence the sharpness. If you keep your fluids up you shouldn't be getting constipated or anything either. (Though you might see a reduction in BM's: less in, next to nothing out).

You're doing great!

Yes that dropped off early after dx when I changed my diet. Can be a couple of days now. Before dx it could be twice a day.

Sorry if tmi.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks BB your carnivore ideas appeal more and more.
Family are not keen though. Only eating once is getting them edgy.
Well if that one meal is a ginormous steak then they can't exactly say you're starving now can they! Chuck in 10 rashes of bacon and a couple of eggs and it looks like a feast.. they'll be drooling..

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Them??

I'm drooling.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find OMAD to be really easy to follow, especially M-F when I am at work, weekends are harder, and I often fail to manage it both days.

I find when I do test, that my BG remains pretty stable and constant throughout the day.

Weight wise, not a lot seems to happen, I am about 7llbs heavier than I was in summer 2016 (when I had my lowest HbA1c) and it appears to be pretty stable now.

Reactions: Sue192

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've also slipped into OMAD without really trying: coffee with cream through to early evening, with lots of water in between, and then a good meal, usually a dietdoctor recipe, veggies, berries and clotted cream. Sometimes a couple of Broghies or lc crackers and cheese too. Not hungry either until evening but I find that if I don't have a good meal I feel a bit 'spaced out' and lose my appetite so like @Pipp, only do it for a few days in a row. That seems to work fine for me.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A fellow early riser @Spl@! I was halfway to work and after an hour was still stuck in a complete traffic gridlock due to a heavy snow shower when my boss called and said we're closed for the day - took me another hour and a half to get back home!

Despite all that my planned 24 hour fast / OMAD is going well. I got some sharp hunger pangs in the traffic jam, probably caused by stress, but rode them out and didn't cave in and buy anything when I nipped to the loo at a garage. Not that there is much low carb fare amid the crisps and chocolate.

I'm having bone broth today - had my first taste of that when I got home and liked it. I bought some fancy schmancy stuff from Ocado, ridiculously expensive but I am letting it down a bit with water so a day's worth should only cost around £5.00. Too expensive long term really, so I will try to make my own.

I had only been easing into low carb when I first tried OMAD (well, I call it a 24 hour fast) and was really surprised how easy it is. The hardest thing I find is not overeating when I have my "breakfast" meal - a few bouts of indigestion later and I'm cured of that! I probably should try to move the "breakfast" meal to earlier in the day but that's not really practical, so will have to be careful not to overeat. I was having too many vegetables, in a face-stuffing habit. I am still having rather more protein than I should but carbs are coming down to less than 30g for the day now.

Weekends are my barrier, but I have managed to cut carbs out of my diet and not lapse even when home all day so far. I thought today would be very tough because of the stress earlier, but I'm fine. I am looking forward to dinner though! Lamb steak, sweetheart cabbage with butter, then 10% fat greek strained yoghurt with double cream and ground flax on the menu.

Reactions: Spl@