Severe Telling Off!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This low carb list that’s been put up are there any items on there that are limitless in the amount you can have/anything more moderated?
For the most part, knock yourself out. Just check packages. Like, if you have a processed food like peanut butter, some brands put sugar in. Others don't. Same with sausages. High meat content is fine, some chuck starches in as filler or sugar as a flavour enhancer. So do read the labels!

What you really want to do is find out how many carbs a day work for you. Could be 85, could be 100, could be 50. I go for the ketogenic diet; 20 grams of carbs a day, or less. (Meaning I am in ketosis, so I don't burn carbs for fuel anymore, but fats. On top of that I skip breakfast so only eat 2 meals a day. Sometimes one.). It's easy to figure it out if you check your meter; you know the drill: before a meal, 2 hours after first bite, up no more than 2,0 mmol.l. But then when you have a goal per day, it makes it easier to decide what foods to eat and in what quantities. There are less carbs in three eggs with bacon, than there are in, say, two sticks of celery with cream cheese. Just a for-instance. So you really want to see what certain foods do to you and how many grams of carbs a day work for you. But yeah... Most things on that list aren't going to make your bloodsugars spike if ingested in normal portions. (Meaning, not starvation, bird-sized portions, but proper meals.)

Reactions: Prem51

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Back from the G.P and just been told I now need to lose weight urgently to prevent insulin use (currently T2 oral meds maximum available doses) I’m honest enough to admit I’ve been in denial and ignorance of my condition this last 18 months and the weight has now piled on (approx. 21st) but i really need help. Medical professionals can only give so much help and I’m hoping users here will help give me courage and strength to battle this next few months. Truth is I just don’t know where to begin/what to eat/what to avoid/exercise/slimming groups. Is the simple answer lose weight and cut out sugar?! TIA, Sean.
It isn't easy to lose weight & keep it off but you will feel healthier if you succeed. Before I was diagnosed type 2, I actually lost a lot of weight without even trying but have since put it all back & failed to safely replicate the circumstances that enabled me to lose weight previously. Having said that, there is more to fear from the side effects of T2 medications than insulin. I was given Metformin & immediately developed Raynaud's syndrome [EXTREMLY cold hands & feet] which lasted the 6 months I took Metformin & then another 6 months after I stopped, when things finally went back to normal. Also with insulin they will encourage you test & so have greater detailed knowledge of what is happening; not just an HbA1c indicating overall where you are. It is that detail which ultimately is necessary to ensure better glucose control but they will only precribe test equipment & strips, once you are on insulin. Good luck.

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the most part, knock yourself out. Just check packages. Like, if you have a processed food like peanut butter, some brands put sugar in. Others don't. Same with sausages. High meat content is fine, some chuck starches in as filler or sugar as a flavour enhancer. So do read the labels!

What you really want to do is find out how many carbs a day work for you. Could be 85, could be 100, could be 50. I go for the ketogenic diet; 20 grams of carbs a day, or less. (Meaning I am in ketosis, so I don't burn carbs for fuel anymore, but fats. On top of that I skip breakfast so only eat 2 meals a day. Sometimes one.). It's easy to figure it out if you check your meter; you know the drill: before a meal, 2 hours after first bite, up no more than 2,0 mmol.l. But then when you have a goal per day, it makes it easier to decide what foods to eat and in what quantities. There are less carbs in three eggs with bacon, than there are in, say, two sticks of celery with cream cheese. Just a for-instance. So you really want to see what certain foods do to you and how many grams of carbs a day work for you. But yeah... Most things on that list aren't going to make your bloodsugars spike if ingested in normal portions. (Meaning, not starvation, bird-sized portions, but proper meals.)

I’ve been recommended some called “Heck sausages”

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Type-2-Havent-A-Clue
Hello Sean and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Type-2-Havent-A-Clue
Hello Sean and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Thank you! That’s most helpful daisy

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Loads of great advice on living la vida low carb.
As you say you have been 'in denial' may I suggest you change your rather negative profile name? You have a clue because you've decided to tackle this. And as others have pointed out there are many who think that incipient diabetes drives type 2s to gain weight rather than obesity causing type 2.
It is not about getting more and more knowledge, it IS about turning what you do know into action. When you slip up, don't dwell on it but do make the next choice even better. I think you are going to feel loads better before the scales show massive differences so try and focus on that and whether your trousers start to fall off rather than the fickle scales!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know the brand, as I'm Dutch. But from what I googled, nutrition wise, they're pretty good. Just make sure to get the 97% variety. The others (vegan, Pork Appeel etc) aren't as low carb as I'd personally prefer. So again, it's a matter of reading the labels. :)

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know the brand, as I'm Dutch. But from what I googled, nutrition wise, they're pretty good. Just make sure to get the 97% variety. The others (vegan, Pork Appeel etc) aren't as low carb as I'd personally prefer. So again, it's a matter of reading the labels. :)

Thanks Jo!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they are low fat ones aren’t they? Not what you’re looking for if so.

You need higher fat ones with no breadcrumbs or sugars added in for bulking and flavour. Check the back of packages for the nutrition info (for carbs) and ingredients to explain why. I tend to get sausages around 2 carbs per 100g. Some go up to 10g or more

Reactions: Prem51

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You need higher fat ones with no breadcrumbs or sugars added in for bulking and flavour. Check the back of packages for the nutrition info (for carbs) and ingredients to explain why. I tend to get sausages around 2 carbs per 100g. Some go up to 10g or more
Heck are 97% fat

Reactions: kitedoc

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hey @Type-2-Havent-A-Clue ,
And welcome! You've come to the right place. People here know tons, and each and every one of the T2's here have been in your shoes. (So we know about denial, the ton of bricks you're hit with at diagnosis, the anger, the helplessness, the fear etc... And what comes next to fix it!). First I'll tag @daisy1 for her info-sheet, but while I'm typing most likely 3 other people'll do that too. ;) It is THAT useful.

Anyway.... So you're a T2, you want to avoid insulin shots and you need to loose weight. The same solution applies for both of those things: The low carb, high fat diet. You can get in-depth info on everything T2 related in the Diabetes Code book by Dr. Jason Fung, but I'm going to keep it relatively short... (And this is going to be a long post. Sorry. ;) ).

So... People tend to assume you get T2 because you're big. Not true. 10% of T2's never were overweight to begin with. but once you slowly become prediabetic, the weight starts piling on. it's a symptom, not a cause. We have to make more and more insulin because we've become resistant to it. Practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose once ingested. (That's important to know!). And usually, insulin helps us burn that glucose as fuel. but when we're resistant, that glucose gets stored in fat cells. Things go from bad to worse, and by the time the stores are full, glucose is everywhere; in our bloodstream, in our eyeballs, kidneys, messing up bloodvessels, what have you... It's not good. That's when we're T2's.

So now you know processing carbs (and their resultant glucose) is the problem. Now, carbs are one of the three macro-nutrients. The others are protein and fats. If you cut one, you up the others, to feel full and to still get enough micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals). Protein can cause a tiny rise in bloodsugars, so those in moderation, but fats... now, fats don't cause even so much as a blip. Better yet, fats, when consumed with a tiny bit of carbs, slow down the carb uptake and thus the bloodsugar spike post-meal. That's a good thing. So everything we've ever been told, about fats being the baddy, it all goes out the window. Guess what: bacon's your new best friend.

For quite a few people here, following the low carb/high fat diet worked, and we tend to pretty much swear by it. For me, I lost 50 pounds, lowered my cholesterol to proper levels even with eating bacon once or twice a day, and it got me into the normal non diabetic range and off the diabetes medication. Which I am assuming you are on, because they're not going to jump from nothing to insulin, so... BE CAREFUL....!!! Don't jump into low carb feet first when you have meds that can bring on hypo's! And use your meter often!!! Test before a meal and 2 hours after first bite. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could process back out again. But also, considering you're probably on a bunch of medication, check when you feel a little off in case of potential hypo's. (Really, you want to start this diet under medical supervision, but it doesn't sound like your doc is on board with this if you have no info to go on and have to resort to asking a forum... But if you can get your nurse to keep an eye out maybe?)... In any case... I can't stress this enough; if you change your diet, your bloodsugars will go down. And since we don't know what you're on, I really do have to warn you about hypo's and the like if you're on bloodsugar lowering meds. Be. Very. Careful.

That said...
High carb fods that are best avoided: Bread, potatoes, rice, corn, cereals/muesli/weetabix etc, fruits (other than berries, avocado, tomato and starfruit), anything made with wheat/oats or whatever really, anything starchy like beans or sugary drinks or pastries.... No good for your bloodsugars. Not at all.
Low carb foods that'll help you get your bloodsugars and weight down: Meat, fish, poultry, above ground veggies/leafy greens, cheese, eggs, full fat greek yoghurt, proper butter, cream, olives, extra dark chocolate (85% and up, I kid ye not), nuts, that sort of thing.

You'll find a load of recipies over on dietdoctor.com or on the website that goes with this forum. Or if you want to eat something but you don't know how to prepair it so it's low carb, just type keto with whatever you're looking for in google and something'll come up.

I'm no good in the kitchen, I tend to keep things simple. So for me, moast meals look like this:
Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

Snacks? Pork scratchings, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate, nuts. :)

If I'm out and about with my husband and I can't find a place that has salads, (affordable) meat or eggs for me, I can actually go to McDonalds or Burger King. I give the salads there a wide berth because of battered chicken corn or dressing, but the burgers.....!!! Just order 'em without the bun. It's the difference between 30 to 40 grams of carbs, or just 5.

In any case... You're going to be fine. And the doc can keep the insulin. You can do this...!
Jo
I agree with everything in this post, save the tuna in oil, as I have only seen this in sunflower oil which is not in my view a good choice. Brine will not be as tasty, but you can add maybe smoked paprika.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No they are 97% pork low carb and highish in fat.

Typical Values Typical Values Per 100g (grilled) Per 2 sausages (120g) (grilled)
Energy 984 kJ / 236 kcal 1181 kJ / 283 kcal
Fat 16.1g 19.3g
of which saturates 13.2g 15.8g
Carbohydrate 0.7g 0.8g
of which sugars 0.7g 0.8g
Protein 21.2g 25.4g
Salt 1.68g 2.02g

Reactions: Prem51 and HSSS

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heck are 97% fat
Ah, now you're confusing hem with butter. ;) They have two sausages with 97% meat content. The choriso one still has quite a bit of carbs in, but the plain 97% is pretty good for a diabetic. 0.4 grams of carbs per sausage, not bad, right? (Fat is about 10 grams per sausage. Which is perfectly fine.)

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the interest of accuracy for the OP, Heck make several different varieties of sausages, chicken, pork, chicken with various extra ingredients. I usually buy the pork ones, which are 97% pork. The info on the package says 2 sausages contain 0.8 g of carbs, 19.3g of fat of which 15.8 g is saturates.

Edited to add:- Sorry, John. Just saw you beat me to it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I agree with everything in this post, save the tuna in oil, as I have only seen this in sunflower oil which is not in my view a good choice. Brine will not be as tasty, but you can add maybe smoked paprika.
I found sardines in olive oil, ASDA brand, so another alternative.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not quite... they are 97% meat which is what makes them one of the best low carb sausages... far less carby filler than most.
Tesco and Waitrose also do their own 97% sausages as do M&S but check the labels on the back.
Waitrose are now my fave, taking over from Heck :hungry: