If we all Went for a Meal Out Together Where Would it Be?

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All this talk of Nandos is making me want to go, may have to very soon :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Where's that place the dcuk posse had a meal during their weekend meetup?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Found it - Jamie's Italian restaurant in Birmingham.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By all the answers no matter where you live there is always somewhere to eat where you can have low carb options even the fast food places. I never worry about eating out I just want to enjoy it. I am not really strict on low carbs I am more moderate so will just eat something I like which may not particularly be low carb but it is only occasionally. At nearly 80 I am to old to worry now about the odd carby meal

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
So far I have been able to stay low carb at Wetherspoons, Hungry Horse, Beefeater, Indian, Chinese, Brewers Fayre, Five Guys and a few independents. I just ask for obvious carbs to be replaced with more veggies or a side salad or recently in an Indian restaurant I asked the waitress to ask the chef which curries didn’t have added sugar and what they could provide in the way of veggies in place of rice. I ended up with a lamb bhuna and some stir fried mushrooms :hungry: For a light lunch I have had successful low carb meals at Prét a Manger and Patisserie Valerie (ha ha, bit of a French theme going on there!)

Most curries don’t have added sugar.
My family run an Indian restaurant and takeaway. I’ve been investigating the curry bases and what they add to make each dish.

They do use bad oils but no sugar as far as I know.

Reactions: Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most curries don’t have added sugar.
My family run an Indian restaurant and takeaway. I’ve been investigating the curry bases and what they add to make each dish.

They do use bad oils but no sugar as far as I know.
How do they sweeten those dishes that are sweetened?

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
How do they sweeten those dishes that are sweetened?

The korma and masala do contain a little sugar. The rest do not. Nor do they use sweeteners. In fact was told that adding any sugar or sweetener is an alien concept. At least for them anyway. I love Rogan Josh and wanted to know everything that went into it. The base is the same as a Bhuna (As most of them are.) All they do is then add the tomato or whatever item they use. There is nothing in the base that should spike anyone really but I suppose we're all different.

I'm sure the chefs are going to get very sick of me. But I am assured that there is nothing of the sort in the food.

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted Account

Just checked where this was posted and confirmed there is no mention of low carb.
So I'd support a good independent restaurant that cooks meals to order using local, seasonal ingredients.
Preferably something that has small plates so I can try out a few veggie and fish dishes.
And with decent red wine list which isn't too expensive.
If they have a kitchen you can see, even better.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect it would be a bit like sorting out team xmas meal at the last place I worked prior to my retirement - the debates went on for so long that in the end about 1/2 the team ended up going out together for the team Christmas dinner - the following June - while the rest of the team sulked - that was in a small team of around 20 people!

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The North pole and we could all dine on polar bear meat and whale blubber with some fish on the side. :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Turkish, Greek, Lebanese, middle eastern generally - something for everyone! Now feeling peckish.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We went to Nandos last night and it was so cold we walked out and ended up in Chiquitos, I had chicken & ribs but left the fries and Alan had chicken & pulled pork fajitas but left the wraps

KTNIC

An impossibility I know.

Fish and Chips? :)

A light hearted slant on things I suppose. But I suppose in truth it is difficult to find places to eat out that would be compatible with our requirements?

Can I eat chips???? If they are oven chips! I love Mc Cains gastro chips!