Yayyy!

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've always wanted to be able to post under 'success stories'. For some reason I always hoped that I'd be typing away about how much weight I've lost, but since I gained 3kgs/6.6lbs within the last 5 days, I think I'll just keep quiet about that :D

Anyway, this is much better. I just came home after my eye exam at the endo out patients clinic. There were no diabetic complications in sight, as it were, and I have 100% vision, so no more writing in my records that I should wear glasses while driving. Yay. 18 months ago the DN told me to wear glasses with -2 strength. I bought a cheap pair, but felt I was a road accident waiting to happen when I put them on, so chucked them on the floor of my car within ½ a mile.

Not too bad for a 58 old bat who was diagnosed 14 years ago, eh? That should teach me to always keep my BG levels under control, because they most certainly weren't 18 months ago.
My pupils are still as large as tea cups :hilarious:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always wanted to be able to post under 'success stories'. For some reason I always hoped that I'd be typing away about how much weight I've lost, but since I gained 3kgs/6.6lbs within the last 5 days, I think I'll just keep quiet about that :D

Anyway, this is much better. I just came home after my eye exam at the endo out patients clinic. There were no diabetic complications in sight, as it were, and I have 100% vision, so no more writing in my records that I should wear glasses while driving. Yay. 18 months ago the DN told me to wear glasses with -2 strength. I bought a cheap pair, but felt I was a road accident waiting to happen when I put them on, so chucked them on the floor of my car within ½ a mile.

Not too bad for a 58 old bat who was diagnosed 14 years ago, eh? That should teach me to always keep my BG levels under control, because they most certainly weren't 18 months ago.

Well done you!!! A great read. And funny too :) eyesight is precious. Yours is 100%. Did you not see that coming!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Prem51

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Awesome!!! That's a great read! :happy: Yeah, those drops..... Makes walking interesting, and I've had some funny looks from people passing me in the other direction!

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Well done you!!! A great read. And funny too :) eyesight is precious. Yours is 100%. Did you not see that coming!!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Ha ha, well no ... Not with certainty anyway. I knew my eyes were better, but the changes have been very subtle. Only a few days ago I realised that letters don't turn into blurred grey lines in the evenings anymore.
After the eye test at the hospital 18 months ago, and the experience with the cheapo glasses, I decided to go to an optometrist for an eye test. I reasoned that they exist because they badly want to sell glasses, so if they told me that I didn't need glasses I'd trust their verdict. They told me I didn't, so I was happy driving without them even if I was supposed to according to the hospital.

Reactions: Prem51 and Debandez

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Congratulations! I wish I could manage without glasses, I have to have varifocals which are expensive as well as inconvenient. As a matter of interest, when you say cheap glasses do you mean ready made ones from a supermarket or somewhere? I have only ever seen ready made reading glasses, which have plus lenses for long sight.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
when you say cheap glasses do you mean ready made ones from a supermarket or somewhere?
Thanks, Mr_Pot. Yes, that sort of thing, and I'm pleased that I didn't invest in 'proper' glasses. I found mine in 'Tiger', which is the Danish equivalent to 'Poundstretcher'.
I have astigmatism, so if one day I do need glasses they won't come cheap either.
I certainly don't envy you or others who have to use them. I even find sunglasses annoying. If you push them up your eyelashes keep touching the glasses, and if you don't, they don't really help much.

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have astigmatism - if I ever wanted to have varifocals they'd have to invent a couple of extra dimensions to fit the required curvatures into a lens.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have astigmatism - if I ever wanted to have varifocals they'd have to invent a couple of extra dimensions to fit the required curvatures into a lens.
Almost everyone has astigmatism and it is normal to include that in a varifocal prescription.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Almost everyone has astigmatism and it is normal to include that in a varifocal prescription.
I used to have to have my normal everyday lenses specially ordered - I need large frames so I don't see uncorrected images around the edges, or I lose my balance all the time, when I change opticians the new one contacts the old one because they don't believe what they are seeing...….

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have to have my normal everyday lenses specially ordered - I need large frames so I don't see uncorrected images around the edges, or I lose my balance all the time, when I change opticians the new one contacts the old one because they don't believe what they are seeing...….
That sounds more like prismatic rather than astigmatic lenses.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @briped that must be quite unusual for someone of 58. :)

I need glasses for reading and computer work, also for eating but not for TV or driving, walking or other distance things. It used to be the other way round. I always have varifocals for my own convenience because with just reading glasses it can be a nuisance. Think shopping. I don't need them, but I do need them to read labels and price tags, so it just becomes easier to wear them all the time. I do wear them on my head in the house to give my face a rest.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mine have been very strange over the years.

My eyesight was very bad (went long sighted) when my BGs were high pre DX but after i started to get my BG under control they slowly got better - then one day I found my glasses for TV made everything blurry. - After a bit of a panic I discovered that I no longer need the glasses I've worn for TV since i was 23 and pregnant (daughter is 40 now).

It does make me wonder how long before DX my BGs were high.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done that Lass!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good outcome @briped! I wish I didn't have to wear glasses but have had to since I was about 7. I did wear contact lenses for about 25 years but with time my eyes developed astigmatism and they became uncomfortable to wear. I have to use varifocals now which are a bit expensive.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I wish I didn't have to wear glasses
I do understand why laser ops are so popular. For many people glasses seem to be so much part of them. An extension of their face, and that I have a harder time understanding, but good for them :)
A friend of mine got a laser op, and improved his life quality so much, but then pre op he had very bad vision so it was really worth it for him.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@briped I was intending to have laser surgery, but when I went to the clinic for assessment they found I had higher pressure in one eye than advisable, possibly an indication of glaucoma. They informed my gp that I should be referred to see an opthalmic consultant for tests for glaucoma. The consultant decided the higher pressure was stable, but I do have to see the hospital opthalmogy department every 6 months for continuing monitoring.
After that scare I decided wearing glasses, while an inconvenience, is far preferable to blindness, and at my age I'm not too concerned about how I look.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
@briped I was intending to have laser surgery, but when I went to the clinic for assessment they found I had higher pressure in one eye than advisable, possibly an indication of glaucoma. They informed my gp that I should be referred to see an opthalmic consultant for tests for glaucoma. The consultant decided the higher pressure was stable, but I do have to see the hospital opthalmogy department every 6 months for continuing monitoring.
After that scare I decided wearing glasses, while an inconvenience, is far preferable to blindness, and at my age I'm not too concerned about how I look.
That's one good thing about aging, isn't it? :) Re the glasses vs. risk of blindness, I do think you got your priorities right.

Reactions: Viv19 and Prem51

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Stay far away from laser. I know one of the best eye doctors in the US and he's dead set against them