Newly diagnosed

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are only 25 and not over weight then T1 seems more likely but wait until you get the final diagnosis before you change anything The diet advice here is more directed to T2's so is a little different and if you lower the carbs to drastically you will loose weight and you don't really want to do that.

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear about the hospital trip.
hope your appointment resolves the type and appropriate medication resolves some of the issues.

as for the food..i am type 2..so not sure how advisable this would be for you,
BUT if i am feeling hungry and don't really want to eat..

i have found that double cream in a bowl,
( dependent on the bowl, but my cereal bowl it seems to be just covering the bottom an 1/2 inch deep.)
sorry have none to pic and show
and two squares of 85% dark chocolate..
(as squares i munch them far too quick. haven't really leant the art of letting chocolate melt in my mouth yet)

i break the squares up and drop into cream..i usually find towards the end i feel full, and THAT feeling last for ages

( NB: I suppose in coffee it MIGHT have the same affect,, i did think it when i tried it, but i'm not a coffee lover, so i didn't enjoy it so stopped after a few goes..
and it's not that nice in tea, imho. :***: )
Thank you for the help. :)
'Hash' as in cannabis is supposed to give users the 'munchies' - ie make them want to eat, so probably not good for diabetics.
Right.. I used google translate right there.. In norwegian, the dish is called "pytt i panne"
Have you looked at the side effects of your antidepressants? Certain ones are linked with increasing blood sugar levels as well and causing type 2 diabetes . I wasn’t overweight at diagnosis but had been taking an antidepressant (Amitriptyline) for 3 years, an American study said that after 1 year of taking them your chances of getting type 2 diabetes increased by 84%. I’m not saying you have type 2 diabetes, you’ll have to see what your doctor says. I think your high readings are more related to your carb intake. I am controlling mine with diet but only eat 50grams of carbs per day. If I eat potatoes or bread my blood sugar rockets. I limit my self to 6 roast potatoes per week and one slice of bread per week, I’m eating Danish bread at the moment as it’s less carbs. I fill up on proteins and fats. Use nuts for snacks, and I love cheese
50grams of carbohydrates per day... even with type 2 I couldn't have lived with that. But it's great that you manage.
As you are only 25 and not over weight then T1 seems more likely but wait until you get the final diagnosis before you change anything The diet advice here is more directed to T2's so is a little different and if you lower the carbs to drastically you will loose weight and you don't really want to do that.
Yes.. You were right, it is type 1. I now use injections per meal. The pen is Humalog.

Norman83

I am 180cm tall and weigh 60kg, borderline underweight, that's why my diagnose is amusing to me.. But it runs in my family so there it is I guess. I will try to eat a little bit healthier, I can buy whole wheat bread and skip Capri sun, along with swapping the brown cheese with something else tomorrow. Does anybody have some tios as to what I can have on my slices of bread at work tomorrow?

On a side note, I accidentally put my used Lantus pen in the refrigerator for about 24 hours, and found out later that opened pens should be in room temperature, is the insulin now useless?

I m also make 35 years old and my diabetes was wrongly diagnosed as 2 before. Weight is 80 kg now but when diagnosed I was as low as 67, I looked like taken form a concentration camp. There is 3 main antibody test that will help your doctor to tell if you are type 1 or 2.
That will help determine.
Hope you control soon and stop the bread completely.

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do test if you are eating bread - two hours after the premeal test, or starting to eat.
Not many type twos could eat two slices of bread and not see double figure blood glucose, type ones can inject fast acting insulin.
As you are almost underweight do eat frequently and replace the calories lost by avoiding carbs with protein and fats.
Unless they are eating one of the low carbs breads

Reactions: Norman83

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a few reduced carb breads, but as far as I know there are no breads which would fit into my definition of low carb. I thought that I had found one at my local Polish delicatessen, only for the formula to be changed and the carbs increased.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some have one called Livlife or something like that I know Waitrose and Sainsbury do one but tiny slices though. I think most people here who do eat bread have Burgen Linseed and Soya

Grazer

Livlife is very expensive, has small thick slices, and no better than Burgen for blood sugar rises when I tested it on myself.
I've just switched to Hovis lower carb seeded. Tastes really nice and marginally lower carbs than the burgen per slice, as the slices are less dense. Same affect on BGs. NOT low carb, but ok in small doses for those on moderate carbs. The seeded is much nicer tastinmg to me than the Hovis lower carb wholemeal (same carbs)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the phrase is lowER carb. None are actually low carb. I would still advise exercising extreme caution with lots of post eating testing at various intervals before concluding it was ok to eat

Reactions: jjraak

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I m also make 35 years old and my diabetes was wrongly diagnosed as 2 before. Weight is 80 kg now but when diagnosed I was as low as 67, I looked like taken form a concentration camp. There is 3 main antibody test that will help your doctor to tell if you are type 1 or 2.
That will help determine.
Hope you control soon and stop the bread completely.
I found out that I am type 1 after a consultation with my diabetes-doctor, I now use 8units Lantus in the evening and Humalog calculated doses when I eat, sometimes I don't even need an injection either. Thank you-

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have now gotten a hold of a CGM - Dexcom G4. I was in the hospital for 2 hours today and learned how to use it. However I dont like the leather pouch it came with, its too tight and stiff for my taste. I tried to find an alternative protective case but ended up not finding any.. First impression is kind of nice though, I look forward for my fingers to heal...

Reactions: Prem51