Tea and Biscuits

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm mobile again. It's been a week after the attack and we went shopping. Now before when we came back from shopping we used to have a cup of tea and a fresh cream cake. The cake is out the question now but I was wondering if a few plain buscuits dunked in me tea would be a good alternative. I read somewhere that plain buscuits were 'allowed' Please correct me if I'm wrong. ATM I'm limiting myself to one cup of tea with two sugars a day. First thing in the morning. The rest of the day I just drink council pop. Being new to all this I'm trying to suss out what I can get away with and what I can't.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The cream bit is ok unless it has been sweetened, just not the cake. A chocolate eclair with some of the chocolate scraped off it would be a better choice than a cream slice. Check the menu over, there might be something on there that you could adapt to - a late breakfast without the toast. To be honest if its just a once a week treat, I would try and adapt rather than cut out your weekly treat together. Those little packs of 3 biscuits are likely to have as many carbs or more than many of the cakes.

Grazer

Biscuits are a bad idea I'm afraid. It's not the sugars, but the carbs. The 2 sugars - do you mean sweeteners? If not, you need to scrap the sugar too. With this like biscuits, get used to reading the nutritional info on the back. Don't look at the sugar content, but the carbs per 100 grams. Then consider how many grams you are having.
For example, artificial sweeteners are maybe 99 grams carbs per 100, so sound terrible, but you only have a tiny amount (try weighing them!) Potatos may say 14grams carbs per 100, but think how heavy they are! So it's a balancing act. That's why your meter is so important. Test and see what you can eat. But biscuits and sugar, No!

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Being new to all this I'm trying to suss out what I can get away with and what I can't.
How about having a square or two of very dark chocolate? At least 80% cocoa. You may not like it initially, but break it into tiny bits and let it melt on your tongue, and I'm sure it will be come a favourite treat, and much better for you than cream cakes. Or check out https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/recipes/desserts if you're into cooking at all. That's if you go for low carb, of course.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ardvark

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are the ardvark that had a heart attack last week and came out of hospital with a new diagnosis of type 2 diabetes as well? Commiserations for both of those!

Re the biscuits and cake options.
If your goal is to avoid the carbs from the cake and the biscuits, then there ARE other options, and some of them are pretty gorgeous.
But unfortunately they probably take a bit more effort than buying a pre-bought cake. And they use some ingredients that you may need to buy online, because local shops often don't stock them. However, they freeze extremely well in individual portions. :D

How do you feel about cheesecake?
Danish pastries?
Cookies?
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/perfectketo/keto-pastry-baking/?lp=true

All those recipes are low carb, but quite high calorie.
And if you are new to the term 'keto' then don't worry. It just means 'very low carb' so that your body is getting almost no glucose from the food. There is, of course, a much more complicated description I could give you for 'keto' but I will spare you that today.

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm mobile again. It's been a week after the attack and we went shopping. Now before when we came back from shopping we used to have a cup of tea and a fresh cream cake. The cake is out the question now but I was wondering if a few plain buscuits dunked in me tea would be a good alternative. I read somewhere that plain buscuits were 'allowed' Please correct me if I'm wrong. ATM I'm limiting myself to one cup of tea with two sugars a day. First thing in the morning. The rest of the day I just drink council pop. Being new to all this I'm trying to suss out what I can get away with and what I can't.
What you can "get away with" is basically up to you and your meter, but I doubt it'll have good news for you... Just remember it's not just the sugar, it's the carbohydrates; as in, the flour the cookies are made with will spike you too. I'm with Fruitella, just burrow through the menu and see whether there's something there that does work for you, carb-wise. It wouldn't be the first time we sorted through a menu for a member online, give a shout if you need help! Kitchens are often more than happy to leave something out (like toast) or change something (swap spuds for salad or veg), as it's more of a nuisance for them to throw perfectly good food away. Also, sometimes, when I REALLY want something, and it's something my husband likes (or my mom-in-law, or whomever I'm having lunch/tea with), we'll share. I'll have a few bites, (or a quarter cookie) and they have the rest. I just take tiny bites to savour the taste. I enjoy it thoroughly, and I don't really miss shoving the entire things in in one go, which surprises me to no end just writing it, but... I savour the moment more than I used to.

Have you checked what the 2 sugars in your tea do? (Also, in the morning you already have the liver's glucose dump -Dawn Phenomenon- to deal with... Not the best time of day to have extra sugar...) Remember, liquid sugars make you spike quicker, so that you'd want to check at probably about an hour, rather than the usual 2 hours later. Maybe try sweet'n'low instead?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Here's my breakfast. Two of these equal 1 serving and are lovely with a cup of tea, I can assure you. And yes, dietdoctor.com orders the whipped cream to go with them. Crisp and very easy to make. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pancakes-berries-whipped-cream
2019-02-12 13.17.19.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please can you tell me what Council pop is?

It would help with our replies if you could complete your profile settings to include the type of diabetes you have and how this is currently treated (medications, diet only, etc.) This will save respondents having to ask or guess.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Where’s the berries?
Eaten before they landed on the pancake ...? ;) Didn't have any, and it was absolutely yummy without. Less carbs to worry about.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Lol.

Tap water has always been council pop to me.

Same as going on holiday to Eirgate was often disappointing.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your replies.
Yes I am the Ardvark who had a heart attack a week ago today.
Being told I am now Diabetic has messed with my head quite a bit.
I've stopped ALL bad foods and drink and am trying to introduce good ones to replace them.
Understanding how things work is a bit much for a single brain celled Ardvark
I'm getting there slowly
Some questions I've asked may seem daft and stupid to some but if I don't ask a question I won't get an answer.
Like most I have a routine for foods and drink I take to work for instance.
I'm after a menu of foods similar to what I had for work that'll keep both "fat and "sugar" camps happy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your replies.
Yes I am the Ardvark who had a heart attack a week ago today.
Being told I am now Diabetic has messed with my head quite a bit.
I've stopped ALL bad foods and drink and am trying to introduce good ones to replace them.
Understanding how things work is a bit much for a single brain celled Ardvark
I'm getting there slowly
Some questions I've asked may seem daft and stupid to some but if I don't ask a question I won't get an answer.
Like most I have a routine for foods and drink I take to work for instance.
I'm after a menu of foods similar to what I had for work that'll keep both "fat and "sugar" camps happy.
Keeping the fat and sugar camps happy... Well, honestly, you have to keep YOU happy. That's the important bit here. Happy, and if at all possible, alive. ;)

Thing is, if you cut carbs, and you really, REALLY have to do that if it's diet you're going to go for rather than medication (High bloodsugars cause damage to heart and arteries), you should up the fats... It's kinda hard not to, because you're likely to become deficient in vitamins and minerals if you don't. Plus, you'd be hungry all the time if you didn't up the fat intake. You'd just keel over. Wouldn't be doing your heart any favours either if your, say, potassium dropped. I know my mom's been rushed to hospital a couple of times because her heart was just going absolutely bonkers because she was way too low.

It's a bit of a balancing act, really. Okay, I'm going to post my little thing again under here, and hope it'll give you a few answers you can work with, or give you some questions you want answered. No idea whether I'm repeating myself though, so if I am, I'm really sorry. Just a little concerned, because basically all people I knew with T2 who have passed, did so because things went wrong in the heart and oarta department. And they had really, really bad dietary habits, looking back. (They didn't know any better, and neither did their doctors. I'm talking 20-30 years ago eh.). In any case, there's so much you can do to get your health back up to good. One more thing before the whole nutrition thing: When my mom had her heart attacks (couple of days in a row, like afterquakes after the big one hit), she was very emotional for a year or so after. That's absolutely normal. And when I was diagnosed with T2, I got really depressed, because I didn't know I actually had a say in this condition. You just got hit with a whole LOT of scary stuff in one go. I just wanted to let you know that if you're having trouble with it, speak up. Talk here if you want support. Maybe, if you feel like it's getting too much, see your doctor and discuss therapy or medication. Not saying any of that's set in stone, just, in case you're feeling that stiff upper lip start to tremble, it's perfectly alright. We've all been there in some form or another. Just take care of you.
Anyway:

There’s a few things you should know.

1. Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so not just straight sugars, but starches too. Food doesn’t have to taste sweet to make your blood sugars skyrocket.

2. A meter helps you know what foods agree with you, and which don’t. Test before and 2 hours after the first bite. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could handle. (It’s easy to remember, as you’re a T2: all 2’s, all over the place!)

3. In case you didn’t know already, this isn’t your fault. It’s genetics, medication, decades of bad dietary advice, and basically all manner of things, but nothing you can actually blame yourself for.

4. Diabetes T2 is a progressive condition, unless you (also) change your diet. So you have options. Diet-only, diet with medication, or medication only. But that last option will most likely mean more medication over the years. (And there is more than just metformin, so if it doesn’t agree with you, there’s lots of others to try). So even if going really low carb isn’t for you, you might consider moderately low carb an option, with meds to assist.

5. Are you overweight? 90% of T2’s are. Yeah, that means 10% are slim and always were. If you did gain weight, it was the precursor of this metabolic condition. We make loads of insulin, but become insensitive to it. So carbs we eat turn to glucose, and normally, insulin helps us burn that glucose for fuel. When it doesn’t, that glucose is stored in fat cells instead. When those fat stores are full, the glucose remains in our bloodstream, overflowing, into our eyes, tears, urine, saliva… And then we’re T2’s. So weight gain is a symptom, not a cause. This also means that “regular” dietary advice doesn’t work for us. The problem lies in our inability to process carbs. And most diets focus on lowering fats and upping carb intake. Which is the direct opposite of what a T2, or prediabetic, for that matter, needs.

6. There are 3 macro-nutrients. Fats, protein and carbohydrates. Those macro’s mean we get the micro-nutrients we need: that would be vitamins and minerals. So… If you ditch the carbs, you should up another macro-nutrient to compensate, to make sure you don’t get malnourished or vitamin deficient. Carbs make our bloodsugars rise. Protein too, but nowhere near as bad as carbs do, so they’re alright in moderation. Fats however… Fats are as good as a glucose-flatline. Better yet, they’ll mitigate the effects of any carbs we do ingest, slowing down their uptake and thus the sugar-spike. Contrary to what we’ve been told for decades; fats are our friends.

7. Worried about cholesterol? On a low carb diet, your cholesterol may rise a little as you start to lose weight. That’s a good thing though. (Believe it or not). What was already there, stored in your body, is starting to head for the exit, and for that it’ll go into your bloodstream first. So when you have lost weight and it stabilises, so will your cholesterol. And it’ll probably be lower than what it was before you started out.

8. You’ll lose weight on a low carb diet. Weightloss will help with your insulin-resistance, and not only that… Going low carb might help with other issues as well, like non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and depression.

9. Always ask for your test results. You don’t know where you’re going, if you don’t know where you’ve been.

So what raises blood sugars? Aside from the obvious (sugar), starches raise blood glucose too. So bread, and anything made with grain/oats flour, rice, pasta, corn, cereals (including all the “healthy choices”, like Weetabix and muesli), most beans and most fruits. So you’ll want to limit your intake, or scratch them altogether.

Which food items remain on the shopping list? Well, meat, fish, poultry, above ground veggies/leafy greens, eggs, cheese, heavy cream, full fat Greek yoghurt, full fat milk, extra dark chocolate (85% Lindt’s is great!), avocado, (whole) tomatoes, berries, olives, nuts, that sort of thing… Meal ideas? Have a couple:

Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonnaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

Snacks? Pork scratchings, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate, nuts. :)

Of course, there’s loads more on the web, for people more adventurous than I. (Which is pretty much everyone). Just google whatever you want to make and add “keto” to it, and you’ll get a low carb version. There’s a lot of recipes on the diabetes.co.uk website, as well as on www.dietdoctor.com where you’ll also find visual (carb content) guides and videos. And I can wholeheartedly endorse Dr. Jason Fung’s book The Diabetes Code. It’ll help you understand what’s going on in your body and how to tackle it, whilst not being a dry read. Not only that, but you’ll know what to ask your doctor, and you’ll understand the answers, which is, I believe, quite convenient.

Reactions: AloeSvea

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that was VERY interesting. Thankyou for that.
I'm just learning about carbs.
Things that were mentioned I'd like to ask some questions about if I may?
Bacon, Sausage,Cheese, Chocolate.
To me these would be bad for me as far as the "fat" camp is concerned.
Being high in fat would'nt be good for the arteries would it?
Wholemeal bread and wheetabix obsorbs bad fat from what I understand.
Therefore what would be better, no wheetabix and bread to keep blood sugar rising or yes to bread and wheetabix to eat bad fat?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, Sausage,Cheese, Chocolate.
All good providing choc is high cocoa content.. 80% or above.
Bad fats are seed oils like sunflower, rapeseed and stuff out of factories. Good fats are those from "natural" sources like animals. The old "saturated fat causes heart disease" has been debunked so many times but seems to re surface every time..
Have you heard of the cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra.. some of his stuff maybe useful ...

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
To me these would be bad for me as far as the "fat" camp is concerned.
If you have got about 30 min to spare, I think this video will be of interest to you. (Snatched from another thread earlier today)

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that has completly messed me up.
Sorry if I'm going on but this is what I have on my plate.
Last Tuesday I had a heart attack and the consultant told me :-
1) the attack caused my blood sugar to go up to an extent that I am type 2 diabetic. That I will need to keep my blood sugar down to between 5 and 7. He gave me a machine and told me to test 4 times a day.
2)The attack was caused by the narrowing of some arteries and some blood clots. He advised I need to cut down on fat especialy the saturated fat.
So the problem I have is I need to keep both the "fat" and "sugar"camps happy to enable for me to keep sucking wind.
Hopefully this will explain why I am asking these silly and daft questions.