NHS Milk Diet

awfyblether

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
As well as T2D, I also have a weight problem. The local hospital has advised my to do their milk diet. It consists of 2 litres of semi skimmed per day, sugar free jelly, two litres of another liquid - sugar free, sugar free chewing gum and Fybogel. Has anyone tried this? Did it work? Is it blood sugar friendly?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as T2D, I also have a weight problem. The local hospital has advised my to do their milk diet. It consists of 2 litres of semi skimmed per day, sugar free jelly, two litres of another liquid - sugar free, sugar free chewing gum and Fybogel. Has anyone tried this? Did it work? Is it blood sugar friendly?

Gosh, that's not one I've heard of. How long do they feel you will be following that regime?

Reactions: Floral313

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Derry falls off her chair lol...And what are you supposed to do when you have finished this liquid diet? I have heard of this on TV. You would be much better off eating real food, (LCHF) I am wondering how you would maintain the weight loss when you go back to eating normal food? I would have thought that the milk would raise your BGL's. I don't think that this is the way to go to be honest, sounds like a quick fix. You need a long term eating plan, a eating plan for life, not just for a few weeks

• Agree
Reactions: TriciaWs

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried any other type of dietary control before? This milk diet sounds a bit radical to me! I eat low carbs, less than 50g per day, the milk alone on this milk diet is nearly double that. Low carbing has, for me resulted in over six stone weight loss and non diabetic HbA1cs. Have a serious think about this, personally I prefer to eat real food!

Reactions: 1spuds

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I am amazed that they have put this forward as ok to do, especially when they routinely look with horror upon a (far more) varied low carb approach.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It has twice the carbs of the diet many type twos swallow in a day - so it is rather crazy - plus the milk is low fat - we need fat, and protein, for day to day living - it is high in the non essential sugar, so - I'd class it as a dangerous fad diet.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I am amazed that they have put this forward as ok to do, especially when they routinely look with horror upon a (far more) varied low carb approach.
It is. I saw a documentary on this a few weeks ago. Apparently, they have had success with this diet, but what they did not say was what happened after they had finished the diet. I would imagine that they would of put the weight back on as soon as they started to eat normal food. This diet is worse than the others out there.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard of a 'milk diet' being used pre-bariatric surgery, to force rapid weight loss.
Of course, I couldn't say that the pre-bariatric surgery 'milk diet' is the one recommended to @awfyblether

It does strike me as impossible for anyone with any milk intolerance, whether whey, lactose or casein - and that is an awful lot of us.

Not something I would ever consider doing, for the carb content and because I have a whey intolerance.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear god. Well, if you do it start saving for your wheelchair and get your name down for a guide dog.

Wish19

Wish19

It's used pre bariatric surgery for a short space of time. It's used firstly to see if you can cope with a liquid diet as that is all you can have post diet to start with. Secondly it allows you to loose weight quickly which reduces the fat around the liver making it easier for the surgeons to carry out the procedure which means faster healing. Yes you do loose a lot of weight quickly by following it but it is not long term. I don't know how it affects blood sugars sorry, but would be interested to know as I have been recommended to have surgery

Wish19

It's used pre bariatric surgery for a short space of time. It's used firstly to see if you can cope with a liquid diet as that is all you can have post op to start with. Secondly it allows you to loose weight quickly which reduces the fat around the liver making it easier for the surgeons to carry out the procedure which means faster healing. Yes you do loose a lot of weight quickly by following it but it is not long term. I don't know how it affects blood sugars sorry, but would be interested to know as I have been recommended to have surgery

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Provided the engery intake is a lot less then the energy output, the liver will empty of glycogen and then it is likely that BG will be reasonable on this "diet". This is how the Newcastle diet shakes can have such high suger but not increase BG much.

However I never thought anyone in the NHS would come up with a very low cal diet that is clearly so much worse then the Newcastle Diet.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear god. Well, if you do it start saving for your wheelchair and get your name down for a guide dog.

xfieldoc, not one of your more supportive posts. Could you please discuss the rationale for the wheelchair and guide dog remarks?

sonia2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried a milk diet once, before I was diagnosed T2 diabetes. Instead of the fibogel, I was allowed a banana and vegetables. I was hungry all the time and it was unsustainable. I did much better on Atkins/lchf and metformin and lost 20Kg.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey!

I too am currently doing the milk diet via the NHS obesity clinic, in the 3 weeks I’ve been doing it I’ve so far lost 14.2kg.

What’s great as well for me is my levels have been perfectly normal without taking my metformin and when I’ve had to eat to settle my stomach my levels have been perfectly normal so my advice is to give it a try!

Reactions: awfyblether

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yikes, I rather eat real food or anything I can get my teeth in to. I know meal replacement drinks do help people to lose weight but I have never heard of a milk diet.

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s a diet that you normally do before having a weight operation, the idea is it shrinks the liver to make it easier for the surgeon to move it out the way to access the stomach rather than having to make a big incision