End of February 48 hour group fasting support

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all as promised on the other thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-support-and-record-your-achievements.161600/ here’s the thread for us to post data and provide ‘live’ in-fast support. Fasts look like being staggered but seems we’re all aiming for 48 hours.

Tagging those who’ve expressed an interest @shelley262 @Chook @bulkbiker @LittleGreyCat @Emma_369 @jpscloud @Pipp @Flora123 @BibaBee

And those who’ve offered to cheer from the sidelines @Rachox

My fast began after dinner tonight. Will weigh in and post BG/ketones in the morning. Just checked ketones a few minutes ago - 2.1.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all as promised on the other thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-support-and-record-your-achievements.161600/ here’s the thread for us to post data and provide ‘live’ in-fast support. Fasts look like being staggered but seems we’re all aiming for 48 hours.

Tagging those who’ve expressed an interest @shelley262 @Chook @bulkbiker @LittleGreyCat @Emma_369 @jpscloud @Pipp @Flora123 @BibaBee

And those who’ve offered to cheer from the sidelines @Rachox

My fast began after dinner tonight. Will weigh in and post BG/ketones in the morning. Just checked ketones a few minutes ago - 2.1.
Excellent thank you

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Checking in with morning data as promised.

FBG exactly 5, which is the high end of normal for me
Ketones 1.7 on the Caresens (my normal meter) and 2 on the On Call (last night’s 2.1 was the On Call)
Weight 60.2 kg

Planning on reporting BG and ketones daily and weight at end of fast. Good luck all.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I'll start my fast as of last night although I had intended to start tonight - if it goes well I'll do 3 or 4 days this week but will see how I feel after 2.

I haven't tested for keytones today, but will do tomorrow.

FBG 5.3 at 5am
Weight 268lbs

My off-the-rails half term saw a little gain but I'm down this month overall, so quite happy.

Coffee with cream
Green tea
Water

Edit - found my ketones meter: 0.4

BP evening: 131/81 - preferably I'd take this in the morning but no time in the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going to have a meal this evening, then not eat until Thursday evening at the earliest.

Fasting BG was 7.0 this morning. Before bed last night 5.8
I know my starting weight, not saying, but will record changes.
Only measure ketones with ketostix so will do that tomorrow.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
O.K. Tuesday 26/02/2019
I will stick to one post and edit it as I go along.
Morning coffee with butter and cream at around 08:30.
Random BG test at 12:00 is 5.8 which is not to be sneezed at.
I will try to remember to test first thing in the morning (my brain takes a while to start functioning) and then last thing at night. Watch this space.

Had steak and salad (and a few small BBQd boiled and cooled potatoes) for the blow out BBQ today. I couldn't finish my healthy salad because I was stuffed. A bit of cheese, three or four grapes, and three small slices of nectarine for sinful dessert. So today may end up being OMAD as well. Must remember to test BG last thing. Bet I have put a pound or two on.

Tuesday 26/02 last thing at night 6.1
Wednesday 27/02 FBG 6.8 Weight 171.2 lbs Start of fast.

Done my 20 mile bike ride with coffee break. My body is about to realise that there is no food in the offing.
Now wondering how hard core everyone else is. I sometimes have a whisky and water as a nightcap but that does contain calories. Frittering time away to avoid think of...no...don't think of....

Wednesday 27/02 bedtime BG 4.2
Thursday 28/02 FBG 5.1 Weight 169.0 pounds.

I'm now wondering if, assuming I manage the three days and I keep losing weight, what next? I assume that I could eventually get down to my long term target of 161 lbs/ 11 stone 7 lbs but long term fasting may need vitamin supplements at minimum. I also need to accept that there is likely to be a 4 lb rebound as my tissue glucose store rebuilds over time.
Didn't sleep well. Possibly subconscious fretting.

I'm finding it quite hard to stay awake and quite hard to concentrate. now about 16:30 on Day 2. I assume my body is trying to slow me down because we are in a famine.

Thursday 28/2 bedtime BG 4.9 Ketones 6.8(!)

Never seen my ketones that high, although I stopped testing after confirming that I was in nutritional ketosis. End of the second day. So far so good.

Friday 1/3 FBG 4.8 Weight 167 pounds
Possibly TMI but after two days of no solids my bowels are refusing to move. Probably nothing in there to move, anyway. So I'm definitely in the zone of No {excretory waste} Sherlock.

O.K. fast finished at 17:00 on the third day.
I fell asleep waiting to take my "end of day" BG reading. Oops!

Saturday 2/3 FBG 7/4 Weight 166.6 pounds.

Saturday 2/3 around 15:00 after 27 mile bike ride on just coffee, cream and butter BG 6.4
So back to more or less my pre-fast level.

Weight from 171.2 lbs to 166.6 lbs so 4.6 lbs lost over 3 days including the last day being OMAD. We shall see if it stays off.

The fast seems to have been a success so I am motivated to try again.

Last edited:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Just had my lunch and going to have a huge coffee then fast will begin so I’ll say 2pm start
Weight this morning was 11st and 9oz - don’t have a ketone test machine so that’s anyones guess. Morning fbg was 4.7 which is becoming my normal. So will see what the next couple of days bring

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

Well I seem to be 25 hours into my fast. We ate tea early yesterday at mums and I was in two minds re when to start my 48 hour fast but missed breakfast and lunch as so busy at mums and then driving home journey a bit complex. Wasn’t feeling hungry when got back so have just grabbed a coffee and cream and may as well have early start so this will be my first evening meal missed!

This morning:
My fasting bgs were 4.5
I didn’t take my ketones meter to mums but last Friday morning my ketones were 3.5 so will go with that
My weight was 55.9kgs or 8 stone 11 pounds - my usual weight but at low end of my ideal.

Just now took my ketones and bg reading after 25 hours fasting and they were:
Bg 3.9
Ketones 5.3! ( noticed when often did one meal a day for a sustained period I seemed to produce high ketones - bit like my high cholesterol I seem to respond quickly!)

Will take bgs again before bed EDIT just taken and still 3.9
and then all my stats, weight etc first thing in the am. My plan at the moment is to attempt another day and then review on Thursday to decide when to break my fast I need to see how get on at gym in morning!

Good luck to everyone - both those who have started like me and others starting tomorrow.

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck everyone! My first day is going fine, a few mild hunger pangs but nothing bad. I have to make my mind move on when it settles on food, though! I'm learning delayed gratification for food via fasting, which is new to me. I'm motivating myself with the thought of how much good I'm doing for my health and I do seem to have a bit of euphoria going on too.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck everyone! My first day is going fine, a few mild hunger pangs but nothing bad. I have to make my mind move on when it settles on food, though! I'm learning delayed gratification for food via fasting, which is new to me. I'm motivating myself with the thought of how much good I'm doing for my health and I do seem to have a bit of euphoria going on too.
well done - i agree that your motivation is really important. I often look back on the time I did a month of OMAD and wonder how I did it! But it really did change my health and weight for the better. Ive not got the euphoria yet maybe tommorow when ive got this first difficult dinnerless evening out of the way. Hoping that we will all sleep well tonight!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yikes. I thought last evening dinner was today.
My one meal a day this evening was chicken wrapped in bacon with garlic mushrooms, butter fried sprouts. Followed by greek yogurt, raspberries and 4 walnut halves. Mineral water. My last supper until Thursday evening, or maybe even Friday.

Reactions: Emma_369 and Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yikes. I thought last evening dinner was today.
My one meal a day this evening was chicken wrapped in bacon with garlic mushrooms, butter fried sprouts. Followed by greek yogurt, raspberries and 4 walnut halves. Mineral water. My last supper until Thursday evening, or maybe even Friday.
You are right I did initially plan last meal today but several people started sooner - as I did - as it suited changes in circs. Sounds like you’ll be well adapted having done one meal day though - hope it goes well missing dinner tomorrow think most of us will also be missing Wednesday dinner.

Reactions: Goonergal and Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Checking in about 30 hours in. Arrived back from the APPG meeting very hungry. Suspect at least some of that was dehydration - very hot in there and water provided for the speakers only. Just downing a very large glass of iced water and a large mug of tea with cream. BG dropped all day - slightly higher FBG proved to be an earlier than usual peak and have been in the 3s since lunchtime. Ketones up too. Ignore the time on the On Call - haven’t bothered setting it.

D6E11B26-4037-43FD-9CBF-C4D0DEE965B0.jpeg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Checking in about 30 hours in. Arrived back from the APPG meeting very hungry. Suspect at least some of that was dehydration - very hot in there and water provided for the speakers only. Just downing a very large glass of iced water and a large mug of tea with cream. BG dropped all day - slightly higher FBG proved to be an earlier than usual peak and have been in the 3s since lunchtime. Ketones up too. Ignore the time on the On Call - haven’t bothered setting it.

View attachment 31531

Looking good.. so have now eaten and will come back with full figures tomorrow am

But pre bed
Ketones 0.6
BG 4.9

Keep strong all and sleep well.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so I thought it was starting this evening. Had my meal tonight - chicken and small salad but been snacking on nuts and had a rare bit of 80% chocolate as I knew I’m not eating for two days. Started the clock at 9pm. I’m having a bad couple of days (hormones) got the munchies and had a peanut butter sandwich and shocked at bedtime reading of 7.4!!! Horrified. Don’t normally treat myself to a small amount of choc or low-carb bread so lesson learnt! see you on the other side ..... . Oh. Ketones 0.7

Last edited:
Reactions: jpscloud

Miso89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Done fasting quite a few times. My longest is 10 days, I'm currently on day 2 and will start posting some data. Definitely feel like this is the way for a cure. Ive tried several diets (Leto, palio, etc) and sure my readings were more in control but the goal is to fix this so I don't have to use a **** needle everyday. Anyways it makes the most sense, how can anything heal or fix itself if your always forcing it to work? I'm sad I don't get to eat for a while.... I love food but I guess that's why I got type 1 at 15... Just never stopped eating... Anyhow, day 3 we've met before but here I am again

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Done fasting quite a few times. My longest is 10 days, I'm currently on day 2 and will start posting some data. Definitely feel like this is the way for a cure. Ive tried several diets (Leto, palio, etc) and sure my readings were more in control but the goal is to fix this so I don't have to use a **** needle everyday. Anyways it makes the most sense, how can anything heal or fix itself if your always forcing it to work? I'm sad I don't get to eat for a while.... I love food but I guess that's why I got type 1 at 15... Just never stopped eating... Anyhow, day 3 we've met before but here I am again

Miso, whilst I feel sure you will be welcomed to this thread by your fellow fasters, I think it is worth pointing out that as yet I don't believe fasting is being eyed as a potential cure for Type 1 diabetes.

I, and I'm sure others, would be interested to hear how you do, but initially I am keen to understand how you manage your underlying T1, during your fasting periods and in your day-to-day, non-fasting life, to grasp a greater understanding of your personal definition of a fast and what that is practically.

There are many definitions of fasting, and I have no skin in the game, in terms of who could be correct, or even if correct exists in terms of fasting, so I'm interested in how you, as a T1 do this.

When posting your updates, I would be grateful if you could always make your Type 1 status very clear as the others intending to join in here are exclusively T2s, and management styles will, by the conditions nature differ.

Reactions: jpscloud

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. This morning’s scores on the doors are:

FBG - 3.9
Ketones - 2.9
Weight - 59.2kg (exactly 1kg drop)

Last night I could quite easily have drunk all of the almost 2 litres of double cream I have in stock, but woke feeling far less hungry.

Off to work shortly but will check back to see how you’re all doing.

Reactions: Flora123

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning
Fbg 4.3
Ketones 4.8
Weight 54.9 or 8 stone 9 pounds - a drop of 1kg from yesterday so all figures going in right direction quite excited to see what another day brings just off to gym in a bit
Good luck everyone either just starting or continuing.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone. 17 hrs into fast.
4.1fbg
Weight 10st 13 & 6 so a drop of 1 lb 3 oz - sorry I’m the one not doing kilos - I’ve always been pounds and ounces :)
Swam last night and feeling good today. No hunger yet but then I am only a short way in

Reactions: Cathi18768