SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
@SueJB I do not think of you as a Luddite (hmmmm, is that a capital "L" or not?) because you are pumpless. I think you are in the majority and a relative newcomer to the type 1 table.
However, even without a pump, you can join @smc4761 with a "Leopard and Lace" belt :)

Today is my travel day - I have a pile of stuff which needs to go in my case but haven't decided how many jumpers I will need to take. My hand luggage pile is nearly complete - pump stuff on the pile and USB hand warmer (powered by Lithium batteries) on the pile and my junky-cable bag is there too.

It will be a late arrival so hope the apartment is ok when I arrive - I like staying in self-service apartments when I travel alone so I have more space and don't have to eat out all the time but they rarely have 24/7 reception which means I have to pick up my keys from a safety box and let myself in.

I have both Fiasp and NovoRapid insulin in my bag. I decided I wouldn't have taken the Humalog even if the prescription was updated on time as I wouldn't want to risk something new away from home. However, my arm is Libred-up and preparing for lift off (and maybe saunas).

@Knikki I will keep an eye out for your mischief. I hope you have fun.

And, finally, pinch-punch, white rabbits and all that malarky.
@helensaramay I may have missed the reference to leopard and lace belt but it sounds interesting.
I always remember white rabbits and so far I've taxed the car and got it insured. The lady I spoke to said they weren't issuing green cards and couldn't guarantee one to arrive for 6-10 working days. She was clearly not talking out of her mouth...................... never been asked for one anyway when driving in the EU. Took out the insurance anyway, just normal fully comp. Pdf arrived within an hour and included a green card. Seems like this company is either running scared or the employees haven't been briefed properly.
Going to drive away into the sunset early next week but hope to be back before the border closes.
Wish me luck

Reactions: kitedoc

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @SueJB, stress of all this new stuff is probably upsetting madam quite a lot. The main things are bolus and basal.
Stick fast to your DSN as you majestically flow down the tech river, repeating bolus, basal; basal , bolus, you will get there.
You can use a mobile phone well enough to get from A to B? Then you can manage an insulin pump (and whatever nickname you give it)!! The trick is having your DSN work with you and help you find the best way to grapple with it, to understand enough to have it do your bidding !!! Breathe steadily, and evenly and move about if you feel overwhelmed. It is also a lot easier when you have it in your hands and can get used to it. Just like a mobile phone !!:):):)
hohoho, @kitedoc .. it must be Christmas or groundhog day again and I am a Luddite, I only have a landline. Pump will have to wait until I best madam. BG madam is still rocking her socks off with no regard for the bearer. Manic numbers in double figures, correcting dose and little impact from Novoslug. Driving raises the little witch anyway so I imagine that doing it in a new car abroad is a hot bed for hitting the roof.
Confused about adjusting and well ppppppppppppppp off by not getting control.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have 15 years of NovoSluggish experience and know how hard it can be to choose low acting food when away from home ... and not a meat eater.
I always try my best within the parameters I have at the time ... which sometimes include "I am hungry" and "I want that, now". :)

At least, with temperatures below zero, I will not be going out for a BG lowering run! Although my friend has suggested ice skating ... or as I call it "ice falling".
is there a secret @helensaramay about Novoslug that I should know? It doesn't seem to work and rarely does 1 unit drop me by more than 1.5

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have 15 years of NovoSluggish experience and know how hard it can be to choose low acting food when away from home ... and not a meat eater.
I always try my best within the parameters I have at the time ... which sometimes include "I am hungry" and "I want that, now". :)

At least, with temperatures below zero, I will not be going out for a BG lowering run! Although my friend has suggested ice skating ... or as I call it "ice falling".

as I call it @helensaramay ................ botty flopping

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Night folks and have a good weekend. Long drive south for me tomorrow morning.

Just fixed a mild hypo I think caused by Fiasp working too quickly again. Ho hum.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hello my fellow carb,sugar, doing any exercise dodging hole filled sexy tea bag things.

Well my Etch A Sketch is at least 3 points out :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: so when DSN sees those readings it will be "interesting" however have a full on CBA head on so don't care. :woot:

Still cruising for someone to annoy thought I'd found one in a thread but no response yet, so sat here listening to Rolling Stones on vinyl and it needs more cleaning :bored:

Hmmmm, chocolate, Chienese food, cider or all three???? Decisions, decisions :wideyed:
Hi @Knikki, Thank you for the ringing opening endorsement to us all!! If all else fails, mention the Statins !!

Reactions: Knikki

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
hohoho, @kitedoc .. it must be Christmas or groundhog day again and I am a Luddite, I only have a landline. Pump will have to wait until I best madam. BG madam is still rocking her socks off with no regard for the bearer. Manic numbers in double figures, correcting dose and little impact from Novoslug. Driving raises the little witch anyway so I imagine that doing it in a new car abroad is a hot bed for hitting the roof.
Confused about adjusting and well ppppppppppppppp off by not getting control.
Hi @SueJB, Perhaps discuss the calculation of your correction doses with your DSN and if the BSL is higher the insulin resistance goes up so more correction dose required. If basal doses need change, too maybe. Sic DSN on madam I guess is my
suggestion !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have arrived at my apartment. It is half past midnight and I am wide awake after unpacking, making myself a cuppa and enjoying the view from my balcony over the snow laden shores of the lake to Finlandia Hall.
I guess I should do my night time finger prick, scan and calibration. Then clean my teeth and try to read myself to sleep so I am ready for brunch at 10am.
Night night all
Please enjoy @helensaramay. Glad you arrived safely. 40 degrees here today. No ice in sight !!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Excellent. Come away for the weekend and the sensor I applied before leaving failed. Handily I brought a spare, just waiting for it to warm up before switching the MiaoMiao over (it gives an extra 12 hours after official expiry). Hope this one works... Great gig tonight, now stuffing my face with olives and a nice Tempranillo.

Night chaps xxx

Reactions: hh1 and Knikki

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Nah! I was posting near an hour before, all in the spin of the earth @Mel dCP !! But I failed to wish everyone the best of the morn so your first past the good morning post is restored. Unless moderators disagree !!
Dilemma, take away Libre and one spare sensors or two glucose meters using same strips !!
I hope the noise at the gig does not 'desensitise' the new sensor !! I imagine you will primarily be in auditory mode. May your ear drums stay protected. The bones around one's ears will pick up the vibration of the sound anyway !!

Reactions: Knikki

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Solemn-faced receptionist at GPs refused to tell me my latest test result when I went to pick up my prescription as "We've posted you a letter about your results." I was resigned to a cholesterol level in the sky-high category this time (it had gone up from its usual 5.4-ish to 6.4 last year but was kind of overlooked in the dramas of getting me onto insulin.) and began to gear myself up for the debate about statins.

Nope, it's gone back to its usual kind of level and could I make an appointment about it after my 24 hours with the blood pressure machine. We're kind of suspicious my blood pressure is actually fine but does silly things in the surgery. This GP really is determined to overlook nothing with me from here on in if he has any say in the matter! (Blood pressure is also roughly what it's been for the last three years, other than a horrendously high one at my first hospital appointment, but the lower number has been just over 80 consistently.)

Not sure what's come over some of my students, but having slogged with them through January and February with some massive dramas, we've gone into March with all that behind us (for now) and some major attitude adjustments of the very positive variety. I always say my job is to do myself out of a job with them, and it was looking like I've managed it several months early this year!!

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning Diabetnam!

Got an eye scan, so up early walking the dog. & playing musical cars so my wife can get her motor out the garage & drive me home..

Later, I should mostly be making noise in a converted Somerset barn.. :cool: