Waitrose have Halo Top

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was wandering aound the aisles and saw that our local Waitrose have Halo Top ice cream which I have seen mentioned a fair bit on US based Keto sites. Checked out the nutrients and was a bit disappointed..

Nutrition
Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 16.49.37.png

This was for this one..
Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 16.49.49.png

So bought the new Oppo Raspberry Nipple flavour instead.. taste test tonight..!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've got tubs of home made vanilla, banana and pistachio ice cream in the freezer at the moment which should last me for at least a couple of weeks, but I'll have a look for that when I run out.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Nice lot of calories, not massive carbs, for those of us on moderate carb, its acceptable - but £5 a portion. No way.

Reactions: brush

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I don't think you are meant to eat the whole pot in one sitting....
maybe not, 473ml in one go :greedy:
Details are per serving so assumed it was a mini pot

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of carbs and not enough fat, in my opinion. Plus polyols - what are the ingredients?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker I think you may find there is quite a wide variation in the nutrition of the different flavours.

Personally they are not something I have ever fancied trying, the Oppo was bad enough.

Yet another example of Frankenfood IMHO.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was wandering aound the aisles and saw that our local Waitrose have Halo Top ice cream which I have seen mentioned a fair bit on US based Keto sites. Checked out the nutrients and was a bit disappointed..

Nutrition
View attachment 31639

This was for this one..
View attachment 31640

Raspberry what?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
seen halo in the local tescos and sainsburys, i think.
looked it over and said... No !

But the oppo, i've not noticed.
maybe ill give that a try.
reviews a bit mixed.

lower carbs for definite.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.....So bought the new Oppo Raspberry Nipple flavour instead.. taste test tonight..!

Oh no I just had a delivery from Waitrose today, I’d meant to add a tub of Raspbery Nipple! Have you tried it yet? Is it worth me a trip right round to the other side of the city to buy some?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Let me know how it is. Raspberry ripple used to be one of my favourite flavours. However I currently have 3 tubs of Oppo chocolate and hazelnut in the freezer - don’t eat it so often these days.

M

Member496333

This would most certainly not qualify for a place on my list of primal foods, but I’m sure it’s nice if one is so inclined :)

How much is a “serving” though? Usually about one bite :shifty:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let me know how it is. Raspberry ripple used to be one of my favourite flavours. However I currently have 3 tubs of Oppo chocolate and hazelnut in the freezer - don’t eat it so often these days.
I wasn't that impressed.. the Oppo has that "fake" raspberry taste.. ok if you like that kind of thing but I don't think I'll be buying it again once this pot is gone.. the frozen raspberries and double cream I added were nice though... I'll be checking those scales in the morning..!

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker I think you may find there is quite a wide variation in the nutrition of the different flavours.

Personally they are not something I have ever fancied trying, the Oppo was bad enough.

Yet another example of Frankenfood IMHO.
I didn't buy the halo top.. too many carbs the Oppo was a bit fake tasting too...

Reactions: jjraak

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6B86BE52-B5AA-4D46-ACDF-7657ED808F76.jpeg
I think the serving is approx 100g it did have the info on the pot but not on the Waitrose website.

It is on the Waitrose website! Hidden slightly, you need to click on ‘Nutrition’. It’s not very clear that this then opens a drop down but here it is

Reactions: Prem51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't that impressed.. the Oppo has that "fake" raspberry taste.. ok if you like that kind of thing but I don't think I'll be buying it again once this pot is gone.. the frozen raspberries and double cream I added were nice though... I'll be checking those scales in the morning..!

Good to know. Kind of where I’ve got to with the chocolate one. Proper dark chocolate melted with cream is a lot nicer than the Oppo.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 31644

It is on the Waitrose website! Hidden slightly, you need to click on ‘Nutrition’. It’s not very clear that this then opens a drop down but here it is

Yeah but on the Halo Top the Waitrose website doesn't give the 100 ml values but from recall they are on the pot and were something like 14g of carbs per 100 ml so I'm guessing their serving size is very slightly more.
That was my main reason for not buying it.. that and the only available flavours being Peanut Butter and Salted Caramel neither of which I especially like!

Reactions: Rachox