1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Waitrose have Halo Top

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by bulkbiker, Mar 4, 2019.

1. sbnz

sbnz Type 1 · Member

Hi Robbity - I dislike (being polite) when products get 'quiet' changes too. There is a space there (methinks) for Consumer watchdog organisations to keep databases on all groceries (I know that's a big ask) and when prices, ingredients or packaging (size) changes. Would probably get some pushback from the manufacturers...? Even consumers starting one up?- issue would be with checking that the data was correct I guess... Sandra.

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

There are regulations relating to food labelling out there, and to what manufacturers must dsiclose. Like most things, I doubt manufacturers will do more than they absolutely have to (unless for a marketing edge somehow), as any time there is a change to their labelling and so on, the costs are significant.

3. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Found Halo icecream in a local Tesco Express. Has obviously not been popular as reduced to half price. Should have read the ingredients more carefully. The Salted caramel version has two different sweeteners and three types of sugar: organic cane sugar, corn syrup, sugar. Plus there will be the lactose from the milk and cream.
    Wont be buying the salted caramel version again. Have not yet tried the peanutbutter one which appears more promising with coconut milk as its main ingredient, although organic cane sugar does appear third in the list. Will try a more carefully measured portion, sometime, soon. Have to empy the freezer before we move..
    Still its an absolute pain trying to measure 118ml of icecream. Cant see me buying any more of their products.
    Wonder if Mr Slim will eat it?

Update. Checked in Carbs and Cals book: appears to be only approximately 3g less carbs then ordinary icecream. Guess which I would rather eat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #43 SlimLizzy, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I prefer home made keto ice cream made with heavy cream. Says he, sanctimoniously. :D

5. SlimLizzy

Used to have a fantastic icecream maker. Gave it away in a (failed) attempt to stop mr Slims waistline expanding. It was a huge piece of equipment, so we wont have room for one soon anyway.
    Would probably be less expensive to make my own anyway.

6. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

They donate a very small part of the price to breast cancer charity 10p I think...

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Listlad

Right, I bought some of the peanut butter variety today. Halo Top 12 grams per 100grams. See how it is tonight.

9. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it’s usually a choice of reducing the size slightly or putting the price up.

10. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Known as 'shrinkflation'.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Listlad

The Halo Top was not as good as I hoped and not as bad as I expected.

I also made the same mistake as @SlimLizzy with the grams per 100ml etc. I don’t think I will be buying it again. I did prefer the keto chocolate we made the other day, by a long way.

12. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I had bought some Halo Top Peanut Butter ice cream too, and tried it last night. I didn't think it was as good as OPPO, and probably wouldn't buy it again. I like the ice cream I made myself better than both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Listlad

Exactly.

The Peanut butter was not very creamy and wasn’t particularly tasty either even though it was obviously a peanut butter flavour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SlimLizzy

Had a vegan friend taste test the peanut butter version. She wasn't impressed. Described it as tasteless and powdery. I tried a spoonful. :yuck:Its horrible. Is all going in the bin. £s wasted:mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. milesrf

milesrf Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How small is their scoop?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook