Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I have my second blood test tomorrow to see if I have diabetes as my doctor thinks I may have it.....however my first blood test was to check something to do with my periods and it was a non fasting blood test...so when the doctor said I need to book in for another one he didn’t say if it should be a non fasting or fasting one...I presume he wanted me to have the same as before and also when I asked for my result on my glucose levels he said it was 8.4 and the normal range is between 4 and 6.1....so I presume this is in mmol/L? as they never said it was a percentage like they would for a ac1

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also what should I eat to keep it low? As I know some people say if they don’t eat and walk a little their bg goes high

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can you phone your doctor or the surgery or the clinic where you're having the blood test to ask? My guess is that they'll be doing an hba1c as a fasting glucose level isn't IMO that informative, but they might want to do both... No point trying to influence your result artificially, your hba1c will be the most critical factor and that is an average of the last 3 months. And if you are diabetic, you want to know....

Good luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually the test for diabetes is the one called Hba1c, which is not fasting - it gives an average of the glucose in the blood over the last 3 months.
The fasting blood test is for lipids - so if the doctor did not say to fast, and it is not on the form, if you have been given one, there is no need to fast.
My own finding over the time I was testing, was that eating a few carbs at breakfast time is a good thing - I have cheese and tomato, or scrambled egg with cheese and tomato - or sausages or leftovers from dinner. Just about 10gm of carbs seems to be enough to stop the dawn phenomenon, and then I don't need to eat all day.
When you have the blood drawn you might want to check that the nurse knows it is not fasting - my diagnostic test has 'non fasting' in the information.

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I have my second blood test tomorrow to see if I have diabetes as my doctor thinks I may have it.....however my first blood test was to check something to do with my periods and it was a non fasting blood test...so when the doctor said I need to book in for another one he didn’t say if it should be a non fasting or fasting one...I presume he wanted me to have the same as before and also when I asked for my result on my glucose levels he said it was 8.4 and the normal range is between 4 and 6.1....so I presume this is in mmol/L? as they never said it was a percentage like they would for a ac1

Hi
If I were you, I’d fast. You never know what other blood tests they may do at the same time.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Ring the surgery and ask which tests the doctor has ordered.

Reactions: EllieM