1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Should I eat before my blood test?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mollyc1995, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Mollyc1995

Mollyc1995 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So I have my second blood test tomorrow to see if I have diabetes as my doctor thinks I may have it.....however my first blood test was to check something to do with my periods and it was a non fasting blood test...so when the doctor said I need to book in for another one he didn’t say if it should be a non fasting or fasting one...I presume he wanted me to have the same as before and also when I asked for my result on my glucose levels he said it was 8.4 and the normal range is between 4 and 6.1....so I presume this is in mmol/L? as they never said it was a percentage like they would for a ac1

2. Mollyc1995

Mollyc1995 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Also what should I eat to keep it low? As I know some people say if they don’t eat and walk a little their bg goes high

3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can you phone your doctor or the surgery or the clinic where you're having the blood test to ask? My guess is that they'll be doing an hba1c as a fasting glucose level isn't IMO that informative, but they might want to do both... No point trying to influence your result artificially, your hba1c will be the most critical factor and that is an average of the last 3 months. And if you are diabetic, you want to know....

Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Usually the test for diabetes is the one called Hba1c, which is not fasting - it gives an average of the glucose in the blood over the last 3 months.
    The fasting blood test is for lipids - so if the doctor did not say to fast, and it is not on the form, if you have been given one, there is no need to fast.
    My own finding over the time I was testing, was that eating a few carbs at breakfast time is a good thing - I have cheese and tomato, or scrambled egg with cheese and tomato - or sausages or leftovers from dinner. Just about 10gm of carbs seems to be enough to stop the dawn phenomenon, and then I don't need to eat all day.
    When you have the blood drawn you might want to check that the nurse knows it is not fasting - my diagnostic test has 'non fasting' in the information.

5. gemma_T1

gemma_T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    If I were you, I’d fast. You never know what other blood tests they may do at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Ring the surgery and ask which tests the doctor has ordered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook