Waitrose have Halo Top

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been a bit miffed with Oppo: they appear to have sneakily upped their prices by reducing the large tub size from 500 to 475 ml. I believe there's also been a change in some of their ingredients - I don't remember them originally including milk, apple/fruit juice concentrate, "blossom honey" whatever that is, or starch?

Changes seem to have coincided with a recent minor packaging revamp, but I'm willing to stand corrected...

Robbity

ETA
@Rachox - I was expecting a treat, but was very disappointed when I tried the rather flavourless Raspberry Nipple. so a definite NO from me!! Make your own instead with vanilla ice cream and real raspberries.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been a bit miffed with Oppo: they appear to have sneakily upped their prices by reducing the large tub size from 500 to 475 ml. I believe there's also been a change in some of their ingredients - I don't remember them originally including milk, apple/fruit juice concentrate, "blossom honey" whatever that is, or starch?

Changes seem to have coincided with a recent minor packaging revamp, but I'm willing to stand corrected...

Robbity

ETA
@Rachox - I was expecting a treat, but was very disappointed when I tried the rather flavourless Raspberry Nipple. so a definite NO from me!! Make your own instead with vanilla ice cream and real raspberries.
I agree ... I hardly ever get it any more but thought the new flavour worth a try.. but was disappointed... hey ho.. !!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree ... I hardly ever get it any more but thought the new flavour worth a try.. but was disappointed... hey ho.. !!
Just been and bought some Raspberry Nipple! But I did have a £2 off voucher, so won’t waste so much if I don’t like it! The reduction in size of things at the same price is called shrinkflation I do believe?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I opened my Raspberry Nipple to be confronted by this impression on the top! Is it just me.........? :oops::joyful:

0CE5CFBC-8D85-43B3-A849-47D434407C55.jpeg

Reactions: Flora123

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked out for this today in Morrisons. They had it but only had Vanilla Bean. But it sure looked like a small tub for £5.00

It was next to the Ben and Jerrys which has been a favourite of mine in the past.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We’ve had 2/3rds of a pot of the choc Halo sitting in the freezer for 6 months.
Thats how much we weren’t impressed.
Pouring double cream over it helped, but then it always does, doesn’t it?

Reactions: Donnadoobie

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bought "Birthday Cake" flavoured Halo Top a few months ago... it's still in the freezer. It's so fake-sweet tasting that you'd never get anywhere near consuming a serving as the excessive erythritol will annihilate your taste buds first.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got tubs of home made vanilla, banana and pistachio ice cream in the freezer at the moment which should last me for at least a couple of weeks, but I'll have a look for that when I run out.
Do you make yours in an ice cream maker? What goes into it and can you make small quantities? TIA

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @PenguinMum Yes I use an ice cream maker. It is the Cuisinart Ice Cream & Gelato Professional model. i bought it last summer, and only made 2 batches then which didn't come out too well.
But I saw a few 600ml tubs of single cream for 49p in the reduced section in Waitrose a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd give it another go. I made 3 batches of vanilla, banana and pistachio ice cream, which all turned out well.
I followed a recipe I found on internet for vanilla ice cream, which is basically making a custard with cream, milk, egg yolks and sugar, just substituting sweetener for the sugar. For the banana and pistachio versions I added banana flavouring, and pistachio flavouring and pistachios.
I made about 1 litre of each, which is the maximum you can make in this machine - it will expand during mixing and freezing.
The instructions don't say what the minimum amount would be but I'd guess 500ml - anyway you can freeze any surplus you don't want to eat immediately.
The machine mixes and freezes in about 45 minutes, though it's best to cool the mixture in fridge overnight beforehand.

This machine is a bit dear - i think it was £220, and I don't think I will be using the gelato making paddle which produces a harder ice cream.
Cuisinart are making a model now just for ice cream which costs around £180, which would have been ok for me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, call me slow on the uptake (it took me 24 hrs between spotting this thread yesterday, and bothering to do the google) but does everyone know how much of these Raspberry Nipple icecream sales are going to charity?

£0.10 per pot

I don't know about you, but I think that is miserly on Oppo's part.
And the thought that they are making a big sales pitch of 'support charity' based on such a small donation... nope. Am not impressed.

If I want to support charities, then I want to do so to a heck of a lot more than 10p.
And if I want to eat icecream, then I don't need some charitable incentive of 10p to do so.

Reactions: Robbity

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got tubs of home made vanilla, banana and pistachio ice cream in the freezer at the moment which should last me for at least a couple of weeks, but I'll have a look for that when I run out.
How do you stop them from setting rock solid? was experimenting with greek yoghurt last year, came out of the machine lovely, but when I put it in the freezer you needed a chisel and mallet!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PenguinMum Yes I use an ice cream maker. It is the Cuisinart Ice Cream & Gelato Professional model. i bought it last summer, and only made 2 batches then which didn't come out too well.
But I saw a few 600ml tubs of single cream for 49p in the reduced section in Waitrose a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd give it another go. I made 3 batches of vanilla, banana and pistachio ice cream, which all turned out well.
I followed a recipe I found on internet for vanilla ice cream, which is basically making a custard with cream, milk, egg yolks and sugar, just substituting sweetener for the sugar. For the banana and pistachio versions I added banana flavouring, and pistachio flavouring and pistachios.
I made about 1 litre of each, which is the maximum you can make in this machine - it will expand during mixing and freezing.
The instructions don't say what the minimum amount would be but I'd guess 500ml - anyway you can freeze any surplus you don't want to eat immediately.
The machine mixes and freezes in about 45 minutes, though it's best to cool the mixture in fridge overnight beforehand.

This machine is a bit dear - i think it was £220, and I don't think I will be using the gelato making paddle which produces a harder ice cream.
Cuisinart are making a model now just for ice cream which costs around £180, which would have been ok for me.
Thanks Prem I will look into it though not sure I would pay that much for a machine. I am not a big ice cream eater but it would be nice to be able to do small amounts of different flavours in summer. Thanks for all that detail.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How do you stop them from setting rock solid? was experimenting with greek yoghurt last year, came out of the machine lovely, but when I put it in the freezer you needed a chisel and mallet!
Yes it is hard when it comes out of the freezer as it doesn't have the additives/gums put into commercial ice cream to keep it soft.
I put the container into microwave for 40-50 seconds which softens it up enough for me to cut/lever a chunk off with a sharp knife. Then I put the detached chunk in a bowl and microwave it again for 20-30 seconds to soften it enough to eat.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What did you think of the taste?

Mmm not sure, I need another helping to decide! It didn’t grab me as a wow moment, put it that way. The chocolate and hazelnut is still my favourite.

sbnz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
maybe not, 473ml in one go :greedy:
Details are per serving so assumed it was a mini pot
I was looking for the serving number info too - it wasn't stated but I assumed that we probably aren't 'meant' (?) to eat 2 cups of icecream in one sitting - but that dosn't mean its not possible!...and on some days I might just do it...