Medtronic 640g

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@helensaramay , thank you for your honest answer. I have no issue with injecting in public either, although I am always discreet when doing so. I don't think having the pump on show along with tubing will bother me that much, just trying to hide it as best i can. I totally understand your comment about not wanting to be known as " that woman with diabetes"

and @porl69 , go on tell the truth it was YOU that really wanted the spiderman belt/pouch:):)
Haha....ok it was my idea

Reactions: kitedoc

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on my third pump now. The first was a Medtronic (which I liked), the second a Roche, and I hated the Roche by comparison. So I made sure I got another Medtronic when the time came for another replacement. (The warranty usually lasts 4-5 years, at which point they're replaced routinely.)

I find my 640G fairly easy to use. The colour screen and menus help, compared to the old monochrome ones.

Unlike @helensaramay , I don't mind having my diabetes on show, so I tend to wear my pump on my normal trouser belt. In fact, I like having the chance to explain what it does, how it works, and I usually end up explaining Type 1 in its entirety as well. It gives me an opportunity to dispel a little ignorance every now and then... :)

I find the belt clip supplied with the 640G much better than those supplied with the other pumps I've had. It's a very neat design. If you choose to use it, though, be aware they have a habit of breaking. For some reason, there's a little pin that likes to play Houdini. So I just tend to carry a spare around, as they're so small.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Michael090382, I do not use a Medtronic pump, but feel duty bound to mention that some users of the 640 have had repeated pump failures, some due to hairline cracking of the case.
They have all however said the Medtronic has been excellent in trying to solve these problems.
If you go to the Forum page and find the search box, RH top corner - type in Medtronic 640, or 4 pumps and similar words the details should appear.
This is not meant to imply that people who have found their Medtronic pump great are wrong but to show balance and that maybe the pump problems are in more recently made pumps.
Best Wishes on your choice !!

David1234P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
bad days :(
Hi folks looking for a bit of advice.

Have my appointment with pump clinic in 2 weeks and after 38 years of MDI, think this will be a major adjustment to my life. Couple of things I am slightly concerned about;
at work I wear a shirt and tie and suit, where do you guys put the pump if the canula is connected to stomach. Wont the tubing be seen. It would be OK at weekends etc as I tend to wear T shirts/ shirts that are not tucked into trousers. I can find numerous Youtube videos on wearing a pump and dress but not a thing with shirts

I am a very restless sleeper and bounce all over the bed at night, lie on my back/left side/right side/stomach. How do you sleep without the fear of pump disconnecting

If I am on holiday abroad sunbathing and need to go for a dip in pool, do I simply unplug the tubing and go in pool with canula on

Thanks in advance
Hello smc4761,
Im like yourself recently off MDI after 41 years and now using 640g pump. I was also concerned about sleeping with pump as again Im a restless sleeper! I clip it to some bed shorts so to speak and sometimes wake with pump wherever. I was concerned about tubing although it does bend it doesn't affected insulin delivery. When I set changed, I experimented on the old used tubing to see how much it would bend! lol.
If I as a shirt and tie man I wouldn't be so concerned about a little visible tubing when pump was in a pocket or some place.
I hope pump therapy works well for you as it is me, Im still fasting for Basal rates and learning about 'temp basal' for prolonged exercise as well as all things 640g.
640g is cool :)
I unclip for showers, remembering to clip on the supplied cover, it would be the same for swimming, this is a cut and paste from medtonics Q&A -Your MiniMed® 670G insulin pump is waterproof (watertight rating IPX8) at a depth of up to 3.6 metres for up to 24 hours, when properly assembled with the reservoir and tubing inserted.

Best wishes
David :)

eta I've read here about some folk having problems with their 640g pumps, mine has been fine and I understand that medtronic are excellent at customer service personally, what the DSN have told me and whats posted here.

Last edited:

Ian W Cooper

Hi @Michael090382 I also use the 640g and think it’s a great system, you can self fund the enlite sensor - This doesn’t come with the pump, basal rates can be fine tuned to deal with DP very easily, customer service is excellent.
I have had the 640g for just over three years and I find it to be good pump, very easy to use and set up, and to be honest I haven't really read up on the 670g but I would recommend the 640g to anyone. I would resist it if they tried to place me back on to MDI. Happy to answer any questions if I can.

Hi,
On it's own the 640G is a significant benefit for those with highly controlled T1D.
Our late son had very unpredictable diabetes with a changeable insulin response. however he regained some confidence in his T1D using this device.
In 2017, once asleep he had a hypoglycaemic attack ( he had had several of those in recent weeks, and the pump continued to operate.
His primary cause of death was hypoglycaemia as determined at inquest.
He died because he needed the CGM device which the hospital has no stocks of .
With a CGM device we would definitely recommend , without the device is only useful for those with stable diabetes.
The pump even continued to work for 48hrs after his death.

CCG funding for the 640G device should always in our opinion include CGM device funding, where it does we think this is a great product.
Unfortunately for cost reasons, some local authorities cost cut and do not request CGM funding which did, in our case have the utmost predictable but crushinh consequences.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Ian W Cooper Sorry to hear about your son.

I agree that considering the cost of the pump then to have the add on also it's inconsequential, no one can predict outcomes but improving outcomes is what the NHS should be aiming for, particularly with an unpredictable condition like type 1.

Reactions: porl69

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello smc4761,
Im like yourself recently off MDI after 41 years and now using 640g pump. I was also concerned about sleeping with pump as again Im a restless sleeper! I clip it to some bed shorts so to speak and sometimes wake with pump wherever. I was concerned about tubing although it does bend it doesn't affected insulin delivery. When I set changed, I experimented on the old used tubing to see how much it would bend! lol.
If I as a shirt and tie man I wouldn't be so concerned about a little visible tubing when pump was in a pocket or some place.
I hope pump therapy works well for you as it is me, Im still fasting for Basal rates and learning about 'temp basal' for prolonged exercise as well as all things 640g.
640g is cool :)
I unclip for showers, remembering to clip on the supplied cover, it would be the same for swimming, this is a cut and paste from medtonics Q&A -Your MiniMed® 670G insulin pump is waterproof (watertight rating IPX8) at a depth of up to 3.6 metres for up to 24 hours, when properly assembled with the reservoir and tubing inserted.

Best wishes
David :)

eta I've read here about some folk having problems with their 640g pumps, mine has been fine and I understand that medtronic are excellent at customer service personally, what the DSN have told me and whats posted here.

Hi @David1234P , Thank you for such an informative answer. Its great to get other people experiences

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
On it's own the 640G is a significant benefit for those with highly controlled T1D.
Our late son had very unpredictable diabetes with a changeable insulin response. however he regained some confidence in his T1D using this device.
In 2017, once asleep he had a hypoglycaemic attack ( he had had several of those in recent weeks, and the pump continued to operate.
His primary cause of death was hypoglycaemia as determined at inquest.
He died because he needed the CGM device which the hospital has no stocks of .
With a CGM device we would definitely recommend , without the device is only useful for those with stable diabetes.
The pump even continued to work for 48hrs after his death.

CCG funding for the 640G device should always in our opinion include CGM device funding, where it does we think this is a great product.
Unfortunately for cost reasons, some local authorities cost cut and do not request CGM funding which did, in our case have the utmost predictable but crushinh consequences.

Hi @Ian W Cooper , so sorry to hear of your loss. I do agree with you that it is ridiculous that the pump has the technology to stop and start insulin through CGM, but due to cost this is not always provided. We can only hope that one day governments will see the sense in providing CGM to improve the lives of type 1

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 2nd time changing the set tonight and what a faff that was. Should take around 2 mins I guess took me nearly 15 mins

I did have a slight problem, the resevoir was put on the Novorapid and I pressed the plunger down. There was a lot of resistance and I was actually unable to push plunger all way down, so no insulin could be drawn up. Gave up eventually and used new reservoir which was much easier, Maybe a dodgy reservoir

I have ordered my supplies but they have been unable to fulfil my order for reservoirs. Looks like Medtronic are having supply issues at moment

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My 2nd time changing the set tonight and what a faff that was. Should take around 2 mins I guess took me nearly 15 mins

I did have a slight problem, the resevoir was put on the Novorapid and I pressed the plunger down. There was a lot of resistance and I was actually unable to push plunger all way down, so no insulin could be drawn up. Gave up eventually and used new reservoir which was much easier, Maybe a dodgy reservoir

I have ordered my supplies but they have been unable to fulfil my order for reservoirs. Looks like Medtronic are having supply issues at moment
@smc4761 on a few occasions I've had difficulty filling the reservoir. When that happens, I remove the blue connector from the insulin vial, turn it a little and reattach. On one one occasion that didn't work so I removed the connector from the reservoir, turned it a little and reconnected. I don't think I've had to throw away any reservoirs (touch wood!)

Reactions: porl69 and smc4761

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Onl6 had that happen once so far and just took the goal of insulin on and off a few times and it did work for me

Reactions: smc4761