1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Medtronic 640g

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Michael090382, Oct 13, 2018.

1. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Haha....ok it was my idea

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on my third pump now. The first was a Medtronic (which I liked), the second a Roche, and I hated the Roche by comparison. So I made sure I got another Medtronic when the time came for another replacement. (The warranty usually lasts 4-5 years, at which point they're replaced routinely.)

I find my 640G fairly easy to use. The colour screen and menus help, compared to the old monochrome ones.

Unlike @helensaramay , I don't mind having my diabetes on show, so I tend to wear my pump on my normal trouser belt. In fact, I like having the chance to explain what it does, how it works, and I usually end up explaining Type 1 in its entirety as well. It gives me an opportunity to dispel a little ignorance every now and then... :)

I find the belt clip supplied with the 640G much better than those supplied with the other pumps I've had. It's a very neat design. If you choose to use it, though, be aware they have a habit of breaking. For some reason, there's a little pin that likes to play Houdini. So I just tend to carry a spare around, as they're so small.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Michael090382, I do not use a Medtronic pump, but feel duty bound to mention that some users of the 640 have had repeated pump failures, some due to hairline cracking of the case.
    They have all however said the Medtronic has been excellent in trying to solve these problems.
    If you go to the Forum page and find the search box, RH top corner - type in Medtronic 640, or 4 pumps and similar words the details should appear.
    This is not meant to imply that people who have found their Medtronic pump great are wrong but to show balance and that maybe the pump problems are in more recently made pumps.
    Best Wishes on your choice !!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. David1234P

David1234P Type 1 · Newbie

Hello smc4761,
    Im like yourself recently off MDI after 41 years and now using 640g pump. I was also concerned about sleeping with pump as again Im a restless sleeper! I clip it to some bed shorts so to speak and sometimes wake with pump wherever. I was concerned about tubing although it does bend it doesn't affected insulin delivery. When I set changed, I experimented on the old used tubing to see how much it would bend! lol.
    If I as a shirt and tie man I wouldn't be so concerned about a little visible tubing when pump was in a pocket or some place.
    I hope pump therapy works well for you as it is me, Im still fasting for Basal rates and learning about 'temp basal' for prolonged exercise as well as all things 640g.
    640g is cool :)
    I unclip for showers, remembering to clip on the supplied cover, it would be the same for swimming, this is a cut and paste from medtonics Q&A -Your MiniMed® 670G insulin pump is waterproof (watertight rating IPX8) at a depth of up to 3.6 metres for up to 24 hours, when properly assembled with the reservoir and tubing inserted.

Best wishes
    David :)

eta I've read here about some folk having problems with their 640g pumps, mine has been fine and I understand that medtronic are excellent at customer service personally, what the DSN have told me and whats posted here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #24 David1234P, Feb 22, 2019 at 1:36 PM
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019 at 1:42 PM
  5. Ian W Cooper

Ian W Cooper · Newbie

Hi,
    On it's own the 640G is a significant benefit for those with highly controlled T1D.
    Our late son had very unpredictable diabetes with a changeable insulin response. however he regained some confidence in his T1D using this device.
    In 2017, once asleep he had a hypoglycaemic attack ( he had had several of those in recent weeks, and the pump continued to operate.
    His primary cause of death was hypoglycaemia as determined at inquest.
    He died because he needed the CGM device which the hospital has no stocks of .
    With a CGM device we would definitely recommend , without the device is only useful for those with stable diabetes.
    The pump even continued to work for 48hrs after his death.

CCG funding for the 640G device should always in our opinion include CGM device funding, where it does we think this is a great product.
    Unfortunately for cost reasons, some local authorities cost cut and do not request CGM funding which did, in our case have the utmost predictable but crushinh consequences.

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Ian W Cooper Sorry to hear about your son.

I agree that considering the cost of the pump then to have the add on also it's inconsequential, no one can predict outcomes but improving outcomes is what the NHS should be aiming for, particularly with an unpredictable condition like type 1.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook